Sponsored by:

OT: What the hell did I get myself into

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 12:41 AM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Robin,

Better you than me. You are one of the few that will be able/capable of handling it. They are beautiful vehicles but take you on a different type of slippery slope than you are used to. Basically....big black hole that you throw your $$ into.
Toyota Landcruiser....phenominal & bulletproof w/ a bit more plushness than the 4Runner (IMHO)

Bake
Old 03-20-2007, 01:03 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know what to say, this Rangie thing is very addictive. I mean the darn thing weights close to 5000 lbs, and handles like you know what, no acceleration, no braking, 13 mile to a gallon of the super unleaded gas. 0-60 like 15 seconds, but I actually like driving this darn thing. So far everyday I am discovering more and more flaws with this thing, but no complaints from me. So I am completely puzzled about this. Maybe is the extra high up seating position? The big giant side glass?
Maybe I am actually driving a British car?

One thing for sure, the stock stereo is a lot better than the ones in the 993. Even with the 993 hi-fi option the Rangie's stock stereo still blows the 993 away.

The crowd on the Rangie side is just as passionate about their RR like all the 993 owners in this forum. Plenty of pics from weekend drives, but instead of turning some hot laps they hit some mud hole and move like 1-2 miles per hour.... the RR way of having fun. Afterall as they say the Land Rover trucks are the most capable consumer trucks in the world.

I am dying to fix the EAS system so I can see the air suspension in action moving up and down. No mud holes here, but I can always hop a curve at the local 7/11

Last edited by Robin 993DX; 03-20-2007 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:06 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 161 Posts

Robin, you must of needed something to do and the Porsche was braking often enough. I havn't had a car I have had to work on that much since college. Let's see, it's slow, handles like a pig on stilts, and breaks, a lot. Sounds like a great vehicle to me. :-)
Old 03-20-2007, 09:47 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Well...... I have been driving the 996 as my daily driver. LOL!

Old 03-21-2007, 12:40 PM
JPF
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '99 that has been my wife's ride for about 6years now. Bought it pre-owned and have loved it. Only had a couple of small problems (electrical *shock*) but were easily fixed. I did have to replace the rear airbags last year, which was a PITA, but the truck just keeps on going otherwise. I will say that I have driven over some pretty impressive terrain in that thing, and I never worry about getting stuck in the winter time. I is a bit "truck-like" in its handling, but the solid axles and the "off-road orientation" of the steering and throttle lend to that I am sure. I think the brakes are actually pretty good.

Overall I am pretty happy with mine. I bought it knowing it would be high maintenance, but it hasn't been nearly as bad as I though it would be.

Must be one of the "good" ones. :-)

Congrats on yours. keep us updated.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:46 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Yipeeee!!!! The Range Rover's EAS suspension is finally fixed!!!!

So far I replaced:

All 4 air springs
All 4 shocks
All air line sealing o-rings
Left side ball joint and tie rod (Right side and tie rod on a later date)
EAS ECU sent out for reset ($30)

The truck's EAS suspension is functioning 100% again, it is very cool! Up and down in matter of seconds. Hit a button and it slams the truck down for easier access, and start the engine it automatically raises to the normal ride height, hit 50 MPH it lowers a little. COOL!!!!

All together with all new shocks less than $1000, this Range Rover thing is much cheaper than I expected and much easier to work on that our little p-cars. Now, if I can just figure out how to get 18mpg out of it..... so far it has been 13.5..........

Old 05-01-2007, 12:51 AM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Nice work Robin! Looks like you are applying your talents to your new toy. Those air suspensions on the Range Rovers are cool when they are working right. Today the technology is getting a little more mainstream but Range Rover was ahead of the curve. Good job.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:50 AM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Robin,

Congrates!... You're DA MAN!!!
Old 05-02-2007, 03:09 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Congrats Robin! I'm going to have to swing by and check that thing out, looks nice. But you're never going to get 18 mpg out of that thing unless you are going down hill with a tail wind, and you have it in neutral. Too heavy with the aerodynamics of a cement bunker.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:26 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
...Now, if I can just figure out how to get 18mpg out of it..... so far it has been 13.5..........

I think you need to talk to your personal driver... She might be just too damn cute to drive slow!
Old 05-02-2007, 09:22 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 132 Posts

Glad to hear that you got the suspension sorted out. Now you can spend more time with cutie in the driver's seat!

Keep us posted on your impressions of your RR. Thanks!
Old 05-03-2007, 05:21 AM
allill
Drifting

Robin,

Glad you got the EAS back up and running. As far as gas mileage there isn't any on these trucks. 13.5 is about as good as it gets. My sister and brother-in-law have a 2002 and it gets 14 or so per gallon. My parents had a '98 discovery which I made the mistake of driving down to San Diego when it was new... I spent way too much time and money at the pump.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:55 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Well, the EAS system failed after two days!!!!! Got the ugly "EAS fault" message on the OBC again. Beep Beep Beep....

Took the EAS ECU out and shipped it out again for a reset. The error message stored in the ECU were "pressure sensor not changing state", from researching the forums it looks like is a failure of the power driver unit next to the air valve block. In any case found an used unit on ebay for $100, installed the entire air block with power driver as one unit and had the ECU reset. EAS is now working again!

Now just need to sort out the slow pump up in the morning, looks like I might have a leak in the air tank somewhere so the compressor runs too long in the morning to keep the tank filled up.

Almost there!
Old 05-31-2007, 12:10 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 132 Posts

Hey Robin, maybe I missed your post, but what did you decide to do about that 996tt? I am seriously considering one for a DD...

thanks for your post about the RR.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:35 PM
creator8
Instructor

I've owned a few Range Rovers and Land Rovers over the years. My wife still says here 4.6 HSE was her favorite car ever. We had it for 3 years with one problem--starter motor died. The dealer--Hornburg, replaced in an hour while I waited. They are fantastic cars that in the same way as Porsches have a unique feel. The new LR3 feels very similar to your model Range. I like the new ones but pushing $80k they aren't good value--used they are though.

Good thing you seem to have serious mechanical skills. You'll be able to work through the issues.

Funnily enough, I remember a survey in the mid nineties where Range Rovers were the second cars of something like 40% of Porsche owners.

Quick Reply: OT: What the hell did I get myself into