Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 track car question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 09:29 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't seek out a 993 for a track car (I was plenty happy running VW's while it lasted). I did however end up with a huge smile on my face after my first DE with it and realized it was even more fun than I had been having, and without all the politics of racing. Besides the fact that the "cool factor" went up with each mod (IMO), it was also working on making the car a better track beast.
I don't really aspire to race anymore (Mark has already alluded to the cost factor if nothing else). But I do enjoy driving a great looking car around town, and a capable car around the track.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:32 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My 993 track car was done with some actual planning. 1st time for everything. I had a pristine 87 Carrera, did 4 track days and got hooked. Didn't want to cut up and wear out that car, so I sold it, and started the hunt. I planned to buy a 964, but this 993 fell into my hands. So I set aside a $10K budget for parts (doing essentially all the labor myself), then shifted things around as the project unfolded. For example, I spent more money on safety than I originally thought (custom fab weld in roll bar, cut out sunroof), so I didn't spend money on wings and things. I also sold off all the things I took off the car (seats, etc.). I almost held to budget, last spreadsheet said I spent about $11K to get the car in DE ready condition. No engine work other than removing the blower and Wevo mounts.

There's a more detailed story and build list up on www.spinninghippo.com, here's the short list:

* Custom Fab Roll Bar
* Sparco Seats and 6pt Schroth Profi II Camlock Harnesses
* JIC Cross Competition Suspension, 8Kg/12Kg, with monoballs and camber plates
* TRG adjustable swaybars with custom rear drop links
* RS Strut Brace and RS Short Shift Lever and Fork
* ERP Kinematic and Toe and Camber Links (yes, all three)
* Proxie RA-1's and Pagid RS19 pads
* Wevo SS Motor Mounts
* RS Washer Bottle; Ultralap timer
* Airbags delete, Rear Seat delete
* Cup (Momo Mod 07) steering wheel
* RS Door Panels, RS Carpet Kit (remove all sound deadening)

Old 02-17-2007, 11:49 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Short gears

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Rick,

I've always found it interesting that your stock, D-class 993 has short gears (bumps you to the big-boy GT class). I know you bought it that way since we had already talked about it at the Glen.
Hi Mark
I should say my formerly Class D car; the trans rebuild with the new short gears moved it out of D (according to the previous owner): I think he was going to start running with NASA.
At any rate, you are correct that the short gears takes it out of D - but since I am just a DE guy, it doesn't matter to me (class-wise).
It sure does reduce the top end, but makes short tracks a blast.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:10 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Rick,

I would so love to have shorter gears in my car!

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 02-18-2007 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:15 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NightFlyer
Mark, is that a late 1995 model? I noticed that you don't have the basket handle.
Jason,

You guessed it. IIRC, the model build is in April or May. I lucked out with the basket handle thing. The car also has Drive Block, which I know everyone hates, but it has never been much of an issue for me.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:37 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark, you skipped forward to the end. You didn't include the evolution steps in the middle to get where you are (like PSS9s)... This always makes adding up the checkbook entries more fun....
Old 02-18-2007, 11:24 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Bob,

LOL, actually, I kind of skipped the beginning step. I installed PSS-9's as soon as I bought the car, for the shocks were blown, making the handling touchy and evil. I ran them for almost two years until I heard the seductive siren call of the Motons and crashed helplessly upon the rocks.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:56 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did it the dumb way. I bought a very, very nice 993 and figured I'd do maybe a four or five DE's a year. Yeah, right. It became a hard-core track car four years ago. I wasn't recently bitten by the track bug but had a dormant virus that was awakened by my P-car. I've obsessed about racing for a long, long time.
Heh heh Mark, ain't that how it always goes!

I've done the same thing but to me, it really wasn't "building the track" car type of thing. I used to have 911 before my 993 and to me, stock 993 was just too soft, quiet & "luxorious" for what I think 911 Porsche shoul be.

So I started to modify my 993 so that it would be way I think 911 should be. It pretty much is close to what I think it should be and I'm very happy with it. Not ehough power of course but otherwise close. And it's fine on a street IMO too, 6-point harness is little pain but "no pain, no gain", right?
I also like modifying (anything) so to me, doing all these things has been a lot of fun , and obviously I haven't stopped.
My car rflects my ideas (i.e. no side skirts) so all the money I've blown into it has been worth it.

I have one bad thing coming now that I want to do some club racing next year and it means I need to add about 130 lbs back to the car and I don't like that. no choise if I want to do Club Racing so some weight needs to be added back (lead plates needs to be orderd).

Good luck and have fun!!!
Old 02-18-2007, 02:49 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Short gears

Rick,

I would so love to have shorter gears in my car!
At last, Mark envys Rick (who always envys Mark's higher driving skill level).
They are great, especially on short tracks, but kill me at VIR/WGI/Tremblant long straights.
A blast at NHIS/Lime Rock and (I assume) Summit.
Glad to let you dirve it next time we are together.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:56 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by NightFlyer
This is a question for those of you that turned your 993's into track cars. Did you purposely seek out a 993 to turn it into a track car or did you get bitten by the track bug after owning your car for a while?

I bought a salvage car with 10k miles on her. No drivetrain damage, the rear frame rail needed to be repaired though.
I bought this after I started down the road of changing my bought new 993 Carrera S into a track only car. Realized that was stoopid, and found the salvaged car.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 574 Likes on 395 Posts

I bought a car already nicely set up for track use and added my own touches.
JIC/TRG
RS aero
Full PMS/Cup G50/30
3.8RS engine

still to be done
GT2 uprights
Motec
Old 02-18-2007, 08:01 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
At last, Mark envys Rick (who always envys Mark's higher driving skill level).
They are great, especially on short tracks, but kill me at VIR/WGI/Tremblant long straights.
A blast at NHIS/Lime Rock and (I assume) Summit.
Glad to let you dirve it next time we are together.
Thanks, Rick! I've always wanted to see what a short gear box is like.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:41 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
I bought a car already nicely set up for track use and added my own touches.
JIC/TRG
RS aero
Full PMS/Cup G50/30
3.8RS engine

still to be done
GT2 uprights
Motec
Nice touches!!

Quick Reply: 993 track car question