Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber Repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 11:08 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carbon Fiber Repair

I have a carbon fiber steering wheel that has a few small cracks in it. The cracks appear to be just in the resin portion and do not go all the way down to the fiber material. Does anyone here know a good way to repair it and/or have a link to a DIY? If not, can anyone recommend someone? Thanks.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:11 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Best would be to sweep-in epoxy resin and let cure -- wetsand then polish.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:14 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Best would be to sweep-in epoxy resin and let cure -- wetsand then polish.
I am not sure that I could get much resin in without grinding out the cracks. Is this a bad idea?
Old 02-15-2007, 11:45 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

You might have to drill small holes local to the cracks to inject resin.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:53 AM
husk
Track Day

Jeff,

I have experimented with different methods of repairing the cracks. As you mentioned, it is not possible to sweep in an epoxy resin because the cracks are not large enough to accept the new resin.

In my attempts I used a surfboard resin. It is UV stabilized and it is supposed to resists cracking from flexing and the coloring is identical to the factory resin used.

My initial attempt was to enlarge the cracks and feather back the openings. Then I built it back up with resin, reshaped with 320 grit sand paper, and continued using finer and finer paper until I was at 2000 grit. Then I finished it with a good buff and polish. The end result was ok, but if you looked closely at the wheel there you could still see where the repairs were made.

I was not happy with that so I ended up sanding the wheel down below the cracks, which ended up being to the carbon fabric. Next I started layering the resin back up to the original wheel thickness. Once the thickness was achieved the finger grips on the back side needed to be ground back into the resin. I used a dremel with a small 220 grit drum sander to shape the finger slots. Then I started the whole process of fine sanding, 320 grit all the way up to 2000 grit. Then I buffed it and polished it out. The finished product looked great.

In the end, I ended up with a couple new cracks in different areas of the wheel. The whole process was very labor intensive and unfortunately my wheel only stayed crack free for about 8 months.

In my opinion, you should learn to appreciate your cracks or change to a different type of steering wheel. I have yet to hear of anyone with this wheel that has remained crack free.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:17 AM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Husk,

I appreciate the info. It sounds like a lot of work. I am not sure what I am going to do yet. This project may have to go to the back burner for a while or I may look for a professional to refinish it. I have plenty of other projects that are more pressing anyways.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:38 PM
911Jeff
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Cracks

I, too, had a Porsche factory (tequipment) carbon fiber whell the had a crack.
It seems they all develope crack at some point.
Last year I purchased a carbon fiber wheel from Gemballa (?) that has remained crack free. The wheel has built in grips and seems to be based on the factory wheel. It has the factory part number and uses the factory air bag.
I am guessing that it is rebuilt by Gemballa.
I have also seen adv's on ebay for a company the will rebuild a factory wheel in either carbon fiber or wood (They call it a restoration).
Old 02-19-2007, 07:43 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by husk
In my opinion, you should learn to appreciate your cracks...
Plumbers do!

Andreas

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Repair