Sponsored by:

OT: The Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 01:48 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OT: The Daily Driver

We're getting a boat load of snow here right now. When all is said and done we should be at around 60cm of the white stuff.

First season with an S2K. I thought I would give the daily driver some much need attention. With Mich. X-Ice tires the car has been great so far. My daily commute is about 200km's. If anyone is considering one as a DD I would highly recommend it. Overall, a nicely balanced car.

Cheers,
Bob
Attached Images  
Old 02-14-2007, 02:11 PM
Jukelemon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First and probably like you, I am a Porsche fanatic. However, my friend bought one of those this past summer and I asked him if I could take it for a "spin" on some of our back roads. Now, just so you know, some of our backroads are like canyon driving out west-seriously dragoned runs.

Anyway, I was VERY impressed with that car right out of the gate. It didn't have the acceleration of the M3/993 BUT it handled as nicely in the backs as the M3-a bit away from the 993. Great cockpit and great sense of road feel.

I really like them and have alwasy given props to Honda for their engineering. As you have said, a good DD.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:12 PM
mamoroso
Racer

I would drive your C2S... It's not as if the S2K is a practical DD....
Old 02-14-2007, 02:17 PM
trickydisco
Burning Brakes

Just out of curiosity, what made you decide against
a new 3-series as a daily driver? I ask this because
I THINK that's a 3-series in your avatar.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:14 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trickydisco
Just out of curiosity, what made you decide against
a new 3-series as a daily driver? I ask this because
I THINK that's a 3-series in your avatar.
The 3 series you see was my wife's car. It's gone now and replaced with a black 06 330xi. Time to update the avatar I guess.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:02 PM
993polarsilver
Racer

I'm looking for a DD, as LA city streets are no place for a nice 993. The potholes feel like they were inflicted by mortar rounds. Anyway, am thinking of a either a Mini Cooper S or a '00-'01 E46. The e46 is pretty much a no brainer, but the Mini is such a blast to drive. Decisions, decisions...
Old 02-16-2007, 01:08 AM
neunneundrei
Racer

I've never driven an S2K but listening to one hitting the redline is a joy. Honda makes great engines and I've always enjoyed the smaller displacement sports cars and sedans.

Well, I've needed a DD during the winter and hung up the p-car for the winter this year. So I went with what I always loved as a kid and found a 1988 E24 M6 which is an absolute blast to drive, look at, and enjoy (especially in the snow). Just drove it to FLA and back - great ride - and I can still work on it on my own without having to plug in a computer...

I'm looking for a DD, as LA city streets are no place for a nice 993. The potholes feel like they were inflicted by mortar rounds. Anyway, am thinking of a either a Mini Cooper S or a '00-'01 E46. The e46 is pretty much a no brainer, but the Mini is such a blast to drive. Decisions, decisions...
Hmmm...I look more for the classics - so an E36 M3 comes to mind - you know, the car that "Car and Driver" called the "Best-Handling Car Ever" Even by today's standards of bimmers I think it ranks as one of the best driver's cars and the price would be a bargain. So, let's see, if it were an E36 M3 I'd take that, but given your choice so prize would go to...the go-kart Mini. That being said, I'm also some who doesn't care about compromised ride quality if the drive is great...
Old 02-16-2007, 07:53 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

as a DD in winter, why would u consider a RWD E46? I have one, and it sucks in the winter. I am going to look for an older A4 or S4 with quattro for next winter.....If u want my 00 328ci, it is up for sale in the spring.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:34 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I love the E36, try and get an M3 or 328is. It really is a great value in the used market and VERY well ballanced. Plus an E36 M3 is not as common as the newer M3's, they are everywhere!
Old 02-17-2007, 10:23 AM
neunneundrei
Racer

Originally Posted by 993C4Smontreal
as a DD in winter, why would u consider a RWD E46? I have one, and it sucks in the winter. I am going to look for an older A4 or S4 with quattro for next winter.....If u want my 00 328ci, it is up for sale in the spring.
Because I grew up never owning an AWD or 4WD and it never really mattered. I remember my dad trying to climb hills in his '72 Cutlass Supreme and, you know what, it's fun! Heck, I got rid of a front-wheel drive car to buy the E24 M6 which is rear drive - works just fine and we get lots of snow. I'm not exactly looking at breaking the land speed record when there's anything on the ground - mostly because I don't trust others around me rather than my own abilities. Took my son to the theatre the other week - found a parking lot that was pristine - I mean, a beautiful cloud of untouched snow and, yes, doughnut time! Was a blast...

Keep in mind what's interesting - although Audi, Subaru and a few others offer AWD for what it is - which is great by the way (I won't take anything away from that) - many many high-end cars are still RWD which takes nothing away from them. You could spend close to $200K on a BMW or Merc that's still RWD with all that - but it is driveable - just don't go nuts But that's my opinion...

I love the E36, try and get an M3 or 328is. It really is a great value in the used market and VERY well ballanced. Plus an E36 M3 is not as common as the newer M3's, they are everywhere!
+1
Old 02-17-2007, 10:38 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will always own an SUV just because # 1 it can snow quite a bit in the mountains in Utah and # 2 is I dont want to be putting chains on a car when Im heading to #1, and #3 is because I like let my 125lb Yellow Lab (he's a large dog, not fat just one of those big dogs) and I like to venture off the beaten path from time to time and # 4, its handy vehicle for about anything. With my kid, that add's another complexity of gizmo's and gadgets to the scence-stroller, ect. I like the space of an SUV and all around versitility. But thats just me. I have 2 SUV's and sports car. My 77 Bronco is my cab in the summer.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:09 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

I agree that rear wheel drive is fun in the winter. today I was going to the gym, so no hurry, and had a blast fish ailing all over the place....Its the days u are in a hurry or going up a hill in traffic, and the car is just sliding sideways as u press the throttle......anyways, for montreal winters a AWD is a must...

I also agree that there are alot of high priced cars in the $100K + range, but they are just not the best choice for a DD in the winter (montreal's winters). They are definately driveable, but dont compare to a quattro or AWD SUV.

just my 0.02
Old 02-18-2007, 01:58 PM
neunneundrei
Racer

Yeah - a little clarification here folks - obviously you use what makes sense for where you live - not to mention personal choice.

I'm just north of Toronto - yes, we can get lots of snow. But for me I don't sweat it too much. The roads are clear within 12-24 hours after a snowfall so I never really hit the deep stuff. We do have ice buildup sometimes - and then it really comes more to driver capability rather than auto capability (first vehicles in the ditch, every year, happen to be SUV's because people put too much faith in them). That being said, my Honda Odyssey works great for taking the kids skiing - never really get into trouble that way - and that works for me

You know, if I did want to get an SUV - I'd probably have to end up with a Yukon XL or something like that - with 4 kids and a Great Pyrenees I could use all the room I can get. The minivan is great that way...
Old 02-18-2007, 11:56 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

fair enough.....and btw, the 635csi is one of my favorite bmws, also loved the 850i. lets see some pics....
Old 02-19-2007, 08:50 PM
neunneundrei
Racer

Originally Posted by 993C4Smontreal
fair enough.....and btw, the 635csi is one of my favorite bmws, also loved the 850i. lets see some pics....
Yes, as it is mine I too loved the 850i - it's a great buy if you can find one. Not very well known either.

But, I don't want to hijack this thread - apologies all - so maybe an idea would be to start a "Unique DD"...

Quick Reply: OT: The Daily Driver