Sponsored by:

PORSCHE BOSE SPARE TIRE SUBWOOFER

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 11:38 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by allill
are there any holes in the firewall to "port" the sound thru? my e36ic, i've got a sub in the spare tire compartment- no spare anymore- and it didn't sound any good until i removed some plastic behind the rear seat's arm rest. if anything, i'll try putting an enclosure in my 993's trunk, wire it to my other car's amp, and see if the sound makes it into the cab w/o cutting anything.

fwiw, my best friend used to own a stereo shop where they did a 993 cab with the enclosure in the trunk. he said he remembers cutting nothing out and it sounded great. thing is, i never got to hear the car so who knows.

i'll run the test next chance i get.
No holes whatsoever, just a big subwoofer on a enclosure driven by it's own separate amp. The low frequency sound would travel thru the car and into the cabin. Subwoofers are non-directional so you really don't need to point the speaker at your ears like you would with the trebble or mid frequencies.

Also, I have the Bose setup on my Audi A4 and the subwoofer is in the trunk driven by a separate amp. This is the main difference from their standard audi audio setup and the sound difference is noticeable.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:43 PM
allill
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cabrio993
No holes whatsoever, just a big subwoofer on a enclosure driven by it's own separate amp. The low frequency sound would travel thru the car and into the cabin. Subwoofers are non-directional so you really don't need to point the speaker at your ears like you would with the trebble or mid frequencies.
true. i was just wondering how sealed the trunk is away from the cabin. time for me to do my sound system now...

do you know if there are already provisions for the wires or do i have to drill holes to get the rca's through to the trunk?
Old 02-14-2007, 11:49 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

true. i was just wondering how sealed the trunk is away from the cabin. time for me to do my sound system now...

do you know if there are already provisions for the wires or do i have to drill holes to get the rca's through to the trunk?
I didn't do the install on mine but I see that the wire bundle was routed thru an existing 1/2 inch hole on the firewall right behind the fuse box, the cables then come out right behind the glove compartment into the cabin and then routed to the radio.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:56 PM
allill
Drifting

Originally Posted by cabrio993
I didn't do the install on mine but I see that the wire bundle was routed thru an existing 1/2 inch hole on the firewall right behind the fuse box, the cables then come out right behind the glove compartment into the cabin and then routed to the radio.
Thanks for that info. I'm gonna check to see where if I've got the same provision. If so, this will be my next mod.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:48 AM
Peter R.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
How would the sound get to the passenger compartment? I can't imagine this could possibly work.
Through the power of air movement !

Seriously, below 200 Hz the human ear does not cope with directional sound.

Additionally, at really low frequencies it becomes a pressure wave affair, i.e. the ear doesn't pick it up as sound. The wavelength of a 20 Hz is so long that it is completely out of sync with the rest of the music anyway, so what you are left with is a bass feeling.

These things are not for the music afficionado anyway, but for sound effect freaks and technoheads.

Peter R.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:53 AM
Peter R.
Pro

Two highish end RCA line cables, and the control wire for the amp, AND some serious speaker cable (4 pairs !) will never fit through a 1/2" hole IMHO. Think 1". Or even better, 2 seperate holes for signal and power, preferably with a different routing.

Peter R.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:01 AM
leeham
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a Bose setup like this in my Nissan Murano. It's actually inside the spare tire rim and under the rear floor, probably the way it is in the Pepper. That way you get a spare and a sub. I know that's not the same as having it in the 911 trunk but it sounds great for a fairly small sub. I would expect the fuel tank to be an efficient damper for the bass in the 993, though. If a small sub inside the spare tire rim works out, let me know because my 993's JL subs take up the entire rear floor on both sides and prevent the seats from going all the way back.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:11 AM
PG993
Instructor

Allill,
I have my 6 channel amp in the trunk as well as the power supply for my head unit. Lots of wires going to the trunk. It realy is no problem. There is an 2 inch opening ready to go. Its located just behind the glove box to the right. first remove the glove box and then the small plastic heating duct that feeds the passsenger vent. Get a flash light and look on the inner fender wall, not on the firewall. You will see it .

If you choose this opening you will have to live with the wires riding OVER the weather stripping that seals the trunk lid to the fire wall.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:48 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

The best subwoofer mounting for a 993 I've seen so far is an 8" (IIRC) mounted in a fiberglass enclosure fitted above the passenger footwell below the dash...there was a pic either here on Rennlist, on Pelican or 6speedonline - I may have saved it. It was well hidden and did not take away any footspace from the passenger. The second best was in a coupe that somehow managed to place a sub behind the fold down rear seats....I didn't see how there could be enough room back there but in any case, this would only work in a coupe.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:10 PM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started with a spare tire sub in my '96 C4 Cab. It's great if you like to listen to music with the car off, in the garage.
On the highway it was totally ineffective. I then tried a Q logic 8" sub enclosure. Never could hear them either. Blew 2 or 3 subs to boot!
My final solution is 2 Q logic enclosures w/8" subs in the back seats, secured by the seat belts. I have one amp for the 6 car speakers under the passenger seat, and the sub amp in the trunk. It rocks. If there is any need for the rear seats, the subs have bannana plugs and are easily removed.
Rich
96 C4 Cab
Iris Blue/Marble/Marble
186,000 + one owner miles
Old 02-15-2007, 09:11 PM
allill
Drifting

Originally Posted by richardew
I started with a spare tire sub in my '96 C4 Cab. It's great if you like to listen to music with the car off, in the garage.
On the highway it was totally ineffective. I then tried a Q logic 8" sub enclosure. Never could hear them either. Blew 2 or 3 subs to boot!
My final solution is 2 Q logic enclosures w/8" subs in the back seats, secured by the seat belts. I have one amp for the 6 car speakers under the passenger seat, and the sub amp in the trunk. It rocks. If there is any need for the rear seats, the subs have bannana plugs and are easily removed.
Rich
96 C4 Cab
Iris Blue/Marble/Marble
186,000 + one owner miles
photos please
Old 02-15-2007, 10:27 PM
shustermeister
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I had an Acura RSX Type-S that had a Bose Subwoofer in the spare tire from the factory. It was a self-contained unit that bolted right into the spare, and the screw/wing nut held the spare and subwoofer together to the bottom of the hatchback bay. Because it was a hatchback, you'd expect that the subwoofer would have done a lot for deep sound quality. Really didn't add much at all - I think it was more of a gimmick.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:59 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter R.
Through the power of air movement !

Seriously, below 200 Hz the human ear does not cope with directional sound.

Additionally, at really low frequencies it becomes a pressure wave affair, i.e. the ear doesn't pick it up as sound. The wavelength of a 20 Hz is so long that it is completely out of sync with the rest of the music anyway, so what you are left with is a bass feeling.

These things are not for the music afficionado anyway, but for sound effect freaks and technoheads.

Peter R.
I understand what you're saying, but I questioned the concept because I've seen how the trunk area is so completely isolated from the passenger compartment. I've stripped out my interior, and PAG succeeded pretty darn well at isolating the trunk from passenger compartment. It's pretty tough just to figure out how to get a wire passed thru!!

Quick Reply: PORSCHE BOSE SPARE TIRE SUBWOOFER