Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OT : Going to San Diego this weekend (maybe longer)....

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 06:15 PM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool OT : Going to San Diego this weekend (maybe longer)....

1st, any "must do" events or places to go?

2nd, what are your thoughts about living in San Diego?

3rd, what does a 993 owner have to look out for in San Diego (as far as registration etc) ? <---- this last question is to make this post "993-relevant"

Appreciate all opinions

** Mods, please keep here for a couple of days before moving to OT (if possible) **
Old 02-12-2007, 06:43 PM
Topless in Temecula
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely - go to the SD zoo and if possible the Wild Animal Park in Escondido (a bit north of SD). If you like seeing the animals in the most natural setting - try the photo safari of the Wild Animal Park - its $90 (plus entrance to the park) but it's great. Living in SD is great (or actually anywhere close to SD) - great weather, great beaches, lots of golf, great PCA chapter, some super restaurants, and everyone loves to come here, over 20 great wineries an hour away (yes, in Temecula), lots of fun "driving" roads - the list could go on and on. Re the registration question - no special issues I'm aware of. If it's a CA car already, should be no issues at all. If it's an out of state vehicle you'll have to have a smog test for sure - about $90 or so and that should be all. Maybe someone else has more info on this though. Welcome!

Peter
Old 02-12-2007, 07:18 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I second those comments. Also make sure to get over to Lajolla.....you'll never want to go back to where ever it is you live now There's a cool little place called......The Livingroom (IIRC) nice place to grap an evening dessert, Coffey, or just hang out (age dependent)
Hwy 74 out of Lake Elsinore towards the coast is a great drive Also make sure to visit Balboa Park, lots of cool exhibits and things to do (plan for a full day)
Old 02-12-2007, 07:23 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by alpinadvl
1st, any "must do" events or places to go?

2nd, what are your thoughts about living in San Diego?

3rd, what does a 993 owner have to look out for in San Diego (as far as registration etc) ? <---- this last question is to make this post "993-relevant"

Appreciate all opinions

** Mods, please keep here for a couple of days before moving to OT (if possible) **
Come by and visit our shop if you're coming to town. We're happy to discuss all things Porsche including my personal 993. A full blown factory 993 EVO II lives here 1 0f only 50 RSR sprinters made as well as another similiar spec'd clone shop racer "The Spitfire". As for "all about San Diego" etc....there's no shortage of things do and places to go but what do you like to do?? In summary though....we all LOVE it here. There are 993's a plenty, no issues with reg as long as your car is smog compliant (or can be made compliant if you get my drift). Down side? Cost of living is crazy high but then again...the weather can't be matched and the density is nothing compared to LA.

Hope this helps!!
Attached Images    
Old 02-12-2007, 07:42 PM
tbil
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, we do all love it here, not much to not like. La Jolla cove is a fun, scenic coastal walk - lots of shops. The drive out to Point Loma is pretty scenic as well, not too far from the airport. Also the tour of the Midway aircraft carrier, only a few miles from the airport, is very cool. You can crawl all over the ship.

Cost of housing is our biggest challenge......

Lots of P-cars out here, year around driving in great weather.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:43 PM
avidtest
Racer

Be sure to go to the Downtown Gas Lamp District. It's a really cool area of Downtown. Park the car and walk around or catch a ride in one of the pedi-cabs (three wheel bicycle taxi w/ a bench seat in the back for passengers). Great food, cool shops and good drink. As 993inNC says, be sure to go to La Jolla and cruise around the village and take a walk near the cove; it's absolutely gorgeous.

Also, as stated above, the zoo and Balboa Park and great candidates as is Sea World (I prefer Sea World over the zoo, but they're both awesome).

I'd normally suggest going ocean fishing too, but it's not the right season for that yet.

Definitely drive up Highway 101 to Oceanside and back (not a lot of room to stretch the 993 legs, but a must-do drive nonetheless).

Living here; well, I've lived in Texas, Alaska, South Dakota and Missouri and been to many other states. No offense to any of them, but in my opinion, they pale in comparrison to here...if you can put up w/ a few extra people. Cost of living sucks though. I live in North County San Diego (Encinitas). I've lived hear nearly 20 years and any time I get a wild hair and consider moving, I just can't think of anywhere I'd rather be.

Shannon
Old 02-12-2007, 07:57 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1) Here's a list, in order: Right after landing at SAN, take Rosecrans down to Cabrillo Monument & Pt. Loma lighthouse. Commanding view of the city and beautiful. Then In-N-Out burger, a SoCal classic. Coronado is great, if nothing else than for the Bridge and brunch at the Hotel Del. Gas Lamp Quarter is on your way back for the city's best night life. Old Town is touristy, but still great. To avoid the mob-scene, go early or mid-week to Casa Bandini for solid mexican food and a fish-bowl sized margarita. If you can still walk, try O'Hungry's for a yard-long beer.

+1 on La Jolla, esp. on a Friday night, try Jose's Courtroom. Smallish fun place with dinner specials that turns into a bar after about 9:30. Just to the south, I love Good Time Charlie's in Pacific Beach for breakfast. Follow your nose for carne asada (marinated steak) featured prominently in many of their menu items. True taco shops (walk-up stands) are SD's contribution to the dining world, and a carne asada burrito at a Roberto's is the best $4 investment you can make, especially after a night of abusing yourself.

Time permitting, you gotta get up to Del Mar, check out the 15th street area (shops, restaurants). They have nice beaches as well.

The Zoo is great, but it takes most of a day. Don't know how much time you have.

2) I've lived in LA for 10 years and San Diego for 10. Both are superb. LA is better for my marketing/advertising career and better nightlife, but San Diego is better for families. Take yer pick.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:05 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

My son visited his buddies there 4 years ago and stayed. Nice drive from LA down to SD. Try the beach resturants,hard to get seating during prime hours. As for your Porsche, tough place to find parking. Most parking is on the streets. All the streets are packed with parked cars as most houses near the water and shops have multiple tenants and no garages. Homes are rediculous expensive but reasonable closer in to the hills. If you like seafood, try the marinas, prices are real reasonable.
Within the city limits be a defensive driver, too many air heads cut in and out and don't know what turn signals do.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:58 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 345 Posts
Cool You can drive fast with the Porsche Owners Club and ...

PCA, San Diego. Both clubs offer multiple opportunities to drive your car on the track, year round. The boys from Mind Over Motorsports will do a go job on car maintenance and car prep for you.

www.porscheownersclub.org
www.pcasd.org

Housing is a bit on the expensive side....but the weather makes it worth it. You won't need a fireplace in SD, and throw away that ice scrapper. Almost can get away with one wardrobe year round...shorts for 9 months out of the year!

Also note, PCA San Diego has autocross at Jack Murphy Stadium, about 1X per month. In addition, they have lots of social events. Lots of geezers like me, but some younger folks too.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:48 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You may not have time w/ all of the other things to do there, but I love Phil's Barbecue, it's some goooood stuff. http://www.philsbbq.com/

The Midway museum is pretty neat too. http://www.midway.org/site/pp.asp?c=coIMKTMCF&b=81432

Have fun, I lived there for 20 years before moving to Boulder, and I miss it a lot.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:40 PM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I love hearing how all of you are as enthusiastic about San Diego as we all are about our 993/911/Pcars/etc...

I will definitely go to many of the places that you have all recommended (just wanted to cut through the travel guide write up and hear from some real people)

I have been hearing horror stories of cost of living.... but I can't imagine it is worse than New York!! Everything I have heard about San Diego has been so positive...I cant wait to see for myself....

One things is for sure....I WILL MISS HAVING THE PORSCHE TO DRIVE!!!!

Jordon/Tim - Thanks for the invite!

ps- anyone want to swap cars in the NY Metro or DC metro area for the weekend?

Thanks!!!!!! and if anyone has anything else to add...for goodness sakes...PLEASE DO!
Old 02-12-2007, 11:53 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 345 Posts
Cool A town can be ranked by it's burgers and dogs:

#1 Rocky's, a small, simple sports bar on Ingram Street in Pacific Beach. All it serves are fries and 1/2-pound and 1/3-pound burgers, the kind that fall apart like Ryan Leaf because they are so juicy. No credit cards accepted. Be patient...there may be lots of eye candy there as well, coeds I speak of.

#2 In and Out Burgers: They are a privately held chain, really excellent quality, limited menu.

#1 Chicago Dogs near UTC, classic Chicago dogs. There is also a location off Mira mar Rd., near Mind over Motorsports...they know where it is.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:59 PM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Most important "Racing" : PCA in San Diego and POC both other ALOT of opportunities to run the cars at the "Q" (DX/DE) and Other big tracks within driving distance. And did I say YEAR - ROUND! Also the PCA club of San Diego is very active in social gathering as well as charities if you just like being around Porsche people.

"Surf Swami's" if you get an op or just go to the park by the Self-realization center in Encinitas and enjoy the view and waves. Then go play golf at Torrey Pines - if you can't get on just go there to sight see (many visitors do). Home of the 2008 US Open and Tiger's favoirte course.

SYMBOLIC of La Jolla and in Sorrento Valley - best exotic / classic car display on the west coast. MOM is close by to the Symbolic in Sorrento Valley so you can hit their mini museum as well.

Balboa Park Car Museum - good old classics.

Gas Lamp - partying, women, and food!

After all this you'll need a Spa treatment at La Costa!
Old 02-13-2007, 03:28 AM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
#1 Rocky's, a small, simple sports bar on Ingram Street in Pacific Beach. All it serves are fries and 1/2-pound and 1/3-pound burgers, the kind that fall apart like Ryan Leaf because they are so juicy. No credit cards accepted. Be patient...there may be lots of eye candy there as well, coeds I speak of.

#2 In and Out Burgers: They are a privately held chain, really excellent quality, limited menu.

#1 Chicago Dogs near UTC, classic Chicago dogs. There is also a location off Mira mar Rd., near Mind over Motorsports...they know where it is.
Thanks Martin.....I have to throw in a nod to Hodad's in Ocean Beach as well. IMO their bacon cheeseburger in THE best I've ever had.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:07 AM
B2
Intermediate

You won't like it here.

One more person and we'll sink in the ocean!

Besided, the Big One is due any time now.

So if you don't mind too many tourists in the summer, the threat of earthquakes, plus girls in bikinis...come on down!

Best place to live in Southern California? Anywhere south of Newport Beach and north of La Jolla.

Hardly a day goes by when I don't pass another 993 on Coast Highway.

Have fun!!!!

Quick Reply: OT : Going to San Diego this weekend (maybe longer)....