Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

garage floors....again. Anyone know these $1.40/sq ft Sams Club tiles?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007 | 11:09 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Default garage floors....again. Anyone know these $1.40/sq ft Sams Club tiles?

I searched but nothing on these Sam's Club garage floor tiles....maybe a new product? at something like $1.40 sq ft these seem too good to pass up as a low cost option.

anyone with experience or anyone check them out?

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...1&pCatg=6344#A
Old 02-12-2007 | 03:03 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Looks like a great deal. Bit cheaper than the best $1.51 rate per SF of the comparable Costco 7' x 17' sheets I checked out yesterday, which did look good and durable. I think the rubber rolls will be more convenient to trim around shelf stanchions and anything else in your way...
Old 02-12-2007 | 04:20 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Cool.. been looking for something like that. I just moved into this new place (pic of my garge as it is right now)... bought all the floor epoxy paint.. but I really don't want to park the cars outside for a week while it cures.. pluss it's too chilly here to do it now. This would be a great solution.. plus I can do designs!

Anyone try this out yet?

- D
Attached Images  
Old 02-12-2007 | 12:22 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

I was looking at the mats too....the BLT ones have been widely discussed and look like a good option.
One of the suppliers even has a 9' x 44' roll for $400 - about $1/sq.ft......but I have 22' wide by 24' long and even their custom sizes only come 10' wide so I'd have 2' left over which would be difficult.

The tiles are more interesting to me than epoxy b/c 1) you can replace one if you need repair 2) change the design if you get bored 3) sound easier to install 4) you can take them with you if you move.....
Old 02-12-2007 | 05:14 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've had the mats in my "other garage" for about 3 years. They have held up very well in my opinion, but my wife is tired of them. They are kind of hard to clean. This is as cheap a price as I have seen for these tiles - I think I'll give them a try. I have Armstrong tiles in the Porshe garage, and they look great, but do take some extra care.
Old 02-12-2007 | 05:40 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Crimson Nape Racing
I've had the mats in my "other garage" for about 3 years. They have held up very well in my opinion, but my wife is tired of them. They are kind of hard to clean. This is as cheap a price as I have seen for these tiles - I think I'll give them a try. I have Armstrong tiles in the Porshe garage, and they look great, but do take some extra care.
I wanted to do the stick-down vinyl tiles, like from Armstrong. But NOBODY around here carries simple black and white tiles.. WTF!??!!?

What sort of extra care is required. I don't have a lift (yet) so I have to use jackstands.. do they tear up these types of tiles or mats, that's my major concern is nasty damage to whatever I use from the jackstands.. :/
Old 02-12-2007 | 05:49 PM
Sooner
Rennlist Member

I was told the armstrong tiles are not the best solution if your garage gets cold. Supposedly the adhesive will give up in cold temps. My garage is not heated, but it doesn't really get that cold in Portland.

Anyone have any problems with this?
Old 02-12-2007 | 06:03 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I did the Armstrong Tile in our garage 7 years ago. It has held up really good with LOTS of work done in the garage like rebuiling the engine in the 356 using floor jacks and stands etc. The white tiles, naturally will show dirt/wear and tear more than the black ones.
Prep is everything though before you lay the first tile down. Clean, clean and then when you get through, clean some more! Use Armstrong's products that are made for this purpose and then use their ADHESIVE, and not just the "stick" that is on back of the peel&stick tile.
One factor that may be VERY important.....My garage is heated and cooled and stays at 70 degrees year round. If you live in a hot part of the country with high humidity, or very cold winters, without A/C and heat you might have problems with the adhesion. The tiles will expand and contract with temp changes.

I've had wall to wall carpet and ceramic tile in previous garages and now the Vinyl tiles.......Next garage will be a professionally applied stain that looks like granite.

Best luck,
Robert
Old 02-12-2007 | 09:37 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

I got the tiles at Home Depot. They had black & white in stock, had to special order the red. As you can see, I put all black where the car parks, so no problem with the black marks left by the tires. I use little carpet squares under the jack stands to protect the floor and wax it once a year. I also had problems with the tiles "creeping" under the tires. This may be because I put the tiles over an epoxy floor, and the glue couldn't stick to the epoxy. I solved this by re-glueing the effected tiles with liquid nails. BTW, my garage is also climate controlled, but it still can get down to 45-50 degrees sometimes, and i've had no problems.

Also, the biggest problem I have with the mat material is water getting under it and then mildewing. The least little bit of water will "wick" 10 feet into the garage, and will never dry untill you fold the mats back and let air under them.
Attached Images  
Old 02-12-2007 | 10:23 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RJT
One factor that may be VERY important.....My garage is heated and cooled and stays at 70 degrees year round. If you live in a hot part of the country with high humidity, or very cold winters, without A/C and heat you might have problems with the adhesion. The tiles will expand and contract with temp changes.
Yup,
Armstrong warned me that their adhesive will begin to fail at 55F/18C and suggested I not use their product in an unheated garage living in New England.

Quick Reply: garage floors....again. Anyone know these $1.40/sq ft Sams Club tiles?