993 Forum 1995-1998

remove the rev limiter

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 07:16 PM
S4-on-your-back-door
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remove the rev limiter

if you could change the rev limiter setting at wat rpm does a stock 993 stop producing useable power. wat mods would have to be made to rev engine out to 8 grand while still making useable power?
Old 02-11-2007, 07:43 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think think the hydraulic lifters are the main limitation.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:55 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

One would have upgrade many things such as rods, rod bolts, pistons, valve springs as well as a lot of head work to get enough flow. Then on to engine management etc.

Best would be to stick with building torque down low and not worry about ultra high RPM operation.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:00 PM
S4-on-your-back-door
Pro

well wat is max rpm with supercharger on engine before you stop making power? i know at 7k shes still pulling and thats just NA .
Old 02-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Chris is right; you need some extensive hardware upgrades to ensure safe operation at 7K RPM and a whole host of internal modifications to run above that RPM level reliably.

Rod bolts, valve springs and Ti retainers are the main things for operation to 7K and above that, better rods, oil pump, and modifications to the crank, bearings, and engine cases for proper oiling.

Needless to say, one needs the appropriate cams, intake, and exhaust systems to make power at those RPM's. Anything less just constitutes abuse, since these engines are well past their power-torque peaks and there is no reason to turn the engine that hard.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:22 PM
S4-on-your-back-door
Pro

but still know one has answered my question. if the car (NA) is still pulling at the 6800 shift point it should still pull safely at 7~7.4 rite?
Old 02-11-2007, 09:27 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ignore the redline. spin that puppy up to what ever you feel the need.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:32 PM
S4-on-your-back-door
Pro

lol im sure Por has over engineered the engine a little bit. to think ig one revese 200 ~ 500 rpms over the limiter would blow the engine, thats cutting it close isnt it? by the way my question is were does the NA engine stop making power? i know its still making it at 6.8~6.9k rpm at lease mine is.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:35 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Fillipe
ignore the redline. spin that puppy up to what ever you feel the need.
I'm falling asleep at the switch, for everyone seems to be beating me to the punch.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:47 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

It stops making power when a rod makes a hole in the case...but it's your engine, so wind that puppy tighter than the E-string on a Laplander's mandolin.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:19 PM
S4-on-your-back-door
Pro

YOU GUY ARE HILARIOUS, why is it so hard to get strait answers for some of you guy, or at lease some latitude and reasoning. Dont take it the wrong way, I like to joke too. but not when im seeking info. I notice one of the guys here is the same joker that said one should not or can not ( cant remember which he just likes to be sarcastic ) adjust one's rear camber and to spin the rear of your car (his) into a curve to make the adjustment. By the way I've made the adjustments and it worked out fine. It almost makes paying for membership a waist of my money. I received more help when i was just a user LOL. I guess im use to the 928 board where people work on thier own cars and like to share info and insight and dont mine speculating and reasoning on subjects. That must be why we have more forced induction kits out thier at resonable prices.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:26 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Can I drove your car?
Old 02-11-2007, 10:28 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by S4-on-your-back-door
YOU GUY ARE HILARIOUS, why is it so hard to get strait answers for some of you guy, or at lease some latitude and reasoning. Dont take it the wrong way, I like to joke too. but not when im seeking info. I notice one of the guys here is the same joker that said one should not or can not ( cant remember which he just likes to be sarcastic ) adjust one's rear camber and to spin the rear of your car (his) into a curve to make the adjustment. By the way I've made the adjustments and it worked out fine. It almost makes paying for membership a waist of my money. I received more help when i was just a user LOL. I guess im use to the 928 board where people work on thier own cars and like to share info and insight and dont mine speculating and reasoning on subjects. That must be why we have more forced induction kits out thier at resonable prices.
That would be me. Remember, I'm the Entertainment Director!

Just having fun. Inexplicably, some threads seem to draw out a, um, certain sense of merriment and lack of seriousness.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 02-11-2007 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:42 PM
S4-on-your-back-door
Pro

sure if you can answere the question and back up your reply with actual verified facts. its only a used car to me and a super VW at that.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:46 PM
S4-on-your-back-door
Pro

STEVE are u saying that if i increase the RL by 2 to 4 hundred rpms it will blow the engine?

Quick Reply: remove the rev limiter