Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any tips on transmission oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 06:19 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any tips on transmission oil change?

I have been struggling for hours trying to pour the contents of the transmission fluid using a clear tubing as suggested on p-car.com I have now used a g-clamp and some metal plates to compress the bottle so that the fluid empties quicker. I'll have to finish it tomorrow - I cannot be arsed staying in the cold garage waiting for ages for the trans. fluid to pour. Surely there must be a device to help make life easier
Any good tips?

Harry
Old 02-08-2007, 06:35 PM
shu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a pump that attaches to my cordless drill......got it at the local auto parts store. Its for siphoning gas or something. Takes less than 20 seconds to fill my tranny.

Last edited by shu; 12-16-2012 at 05:42 AM.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:50 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shu
I use a pump that attaches to my cordless drill......got it at the local auto parts store. Its for siphoning gas or something. Takes less than 20 seconds to fill my tranny.

I need to find something like that.

Harry
Old 02-08-2007, 07:28 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Harry,
Filling mine went very slow - and that was in the summer. I would suggest placing the transmission fluid bottle in a bath of very hot water first.

Andreas
Old 02-08-2007, 10:58 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Harry,
Filling mine went very slow - and that was in the summer. I would suggest placing the transmission fluid bottle in a bath of very hot water first.

Andreas
Warming the fluid makes all the difference -- certainly worth the effort to do so!!
Old 02-09-2007, 02:22 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Default All done!

Thanks for the advice gentlemen. I know I read somewhere to heat up the oil but the oil appeared to flow reasonably without the clear tubing in place so I didn't do it until today (should have done it yesterday, was too lazy and I paid for it). I just put the bottle of oil in a deep pan containing boiling water and left it for 5 minutes. The bonus was that the container was much softer and easier to compress - I still used a G-clamp and a small piece of wood to compress the bottle and occasionally I just unscrewed the cap to allow air to enter the bottle. I was able to fill the remainder of the transmission oil in about the same time it took to manually squeeze 400ml. Now I have to find some sort of pumping device!
Oh, remind me not to do this on a cold day - I almost got frostbites!

Harry
Old 02-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Feed a 4' length of tygon tubing as a fill line from the lube bottle ( where it is taped to the nipple provided) through the wheel well into the trans. Invert the liter/quart bottle and nip a vent hole in the bottom - hold it up and the gear lube will flow in nicely. For the successive bottles, cut the bottom off the first one emptied and use it as a funnel.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:41 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Didn't have long enough tubing to hang / invert the bottle upside down on this occasion so I struggled. Next time I will use gravity to better effect and I agree venting the end will certainly help - I was daft enough to put the vent somwhere else therefore ended up having to put my finger over it while compressing (again down to the lack of tubing length). Well, live and learn I guess. Next winter will be the spark plugs

Harry
Old 02-09-2007, 04:14 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Yup, the trick is to use to largest diameter tubing you can get in the hole, and heat your oil in the microwave or whatever. Run the length of tubing out past the tire and pour it in from there.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:32 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Yup, the trick is to use to largest diameter tubing you can get in the hole, and heat your oil in the microwave or whatever. Run the length of tubing out past the tire and pour it in from there.
that is what I use -- kinda like an IV bag feeding the beast
Old 05-24-2007, 08:13 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am getting ready to change the transmission fluid in my C4S. Is it necessary to put all 4 corners on jack stands or can I just lift the back for the trans and then lift the front for the diff. I just tried putting my car on 4 jack stands and it was very uncomfortable. Does the car have to be level for the change.

The other option is to find a transmission shop to change the fluid, but once you say Porsche then say, WOA...NO...WAY...
Old 05-24-2007, 08:25 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Jim,
I would highly recommend getting the car on to four jack stands. This will allow you to properly drain and then fill the new fluid.

It is a very easy job once the car is in the air. I swear by AC stands - the flat tops allow for unparalleled stability.

Andreas
Old 05-24-2007, 08:36 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I just did a change on the lift...what a difference than on jackstands! I did not have any clear tubing the right size so we used some 3/4" PEX tubing (this is the plastic tubing used in household plumbing) a funnel and some patience. We did not heat the oil but that helps a lot. It took a bit of time because the oil was pretty thick...this is SWEPCO 201. It sure helped the tranny shift though..

I would heat the oil, use the largest tubing you can find, and use a pump only if you don't use the pump for anything else!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-24-2007, 09:09 PM
M491
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go to your local parts store and get a $10 manual oil pump. why make life difficult trying to save $10?
Old 05-24-2007, 09:18 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Gotta agree with M491. If you ever have to do this again, get the right tool and you'll be rewarded. There are a bunch of options but you won't have to worry about ten feet of hose and giving your oil a baby bath first.

Quick Reply: Any tips on transmission oil change?