993 Forum 1995-1998

sluggish 993 tip

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 05:24 AM
mr5000
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sluggish 993 tip

Am new here just bought a 94 non varioram 93 tip. found the car bit sluggish. when accelerating especially in manual mode. there is a hesitation between 22/2400rpm (feel like car has an extra gear) before building up rev.
also the rev buildup pretty slow. In fact for all 1st 2nd 3rd gear u can feel this sensation. most pronounced in 2nd gear tho.

diagnosis no fault with mass air flow meter.
using only 98 ron gasoline

took of speedo to repair faulty odo and using a borrowed manual type speedo

anyone know what can cause this very unporsche behavior ?
Old 02-07-2007, 08:33 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

There are two issues here.
1st: this is no second gear at 2200rpm in 2nd. This is the torque converter on purpose that smoothens the shift between first and second gear. If this did not exist, it would be like popping off the
clutch in a manual gearbox everytime you shift from first to second.
This is oil pressure/tiptronic mapping controlled, and it feels like an extra gear between 1 & 2.
When you get familiar with it, you will notice that it does not exist (happen) while decelerating.
Take care to change the ATF and tiptronic gearbox filter every 20000kms. The gearbox will stay agile.
Change the differential oil as well. You will see a difference, because people tend to forget to change those.
2nd: rev buildup has nothing to do with the tiptronic, I do not know the reason. BUT,
tiptronic gearbox has five computer mappings. Two of which are sport. These are controlled by the way you drive.
To make sure the Sport mapping is used, push the accelerator pedal to the floor (while driving), release
it and push it back very swiftly to the floor (max).
Do this twice in a 30 second interval (max.3 minutes)
take care while doing this.
you do not have to do this in first gear or second, any gear will do
keep us posted
Old 02-07-2007, 08:42 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I was about to launch a thread on this very subject!

Thanks for explaining this, geolab.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:50 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

I think it deserves a new thread knowing that porsche was one of the first auto manufacturer to offer
tiptronic with gear selection on the steering wheel.
And this gearbox was an inspiration to almost all gearboxes that followed from other manufacturers,
knowing that it was very advanced at the time it went public.
One small info is the fantastic electronic managment of this gearbox which analyses 40 parameters , 30 times per second
Old 02-07-2007, 12:28 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with geolab, in that changing the ATF and filter is very important with the TIPs. I have 54xxx miles on mine and have changed it twice and will again this summer. I do notice a difference!
George...Thanks for your help with Jeff...it is really appreciated!
Old 02-07-2007, 05:59 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

The first 993 I drove was a tip and I was so put off by the sluggishness I almost swore off the model. Then I drove a 6 spd and realized the trans was at fault. I like the "bury the pedal twice" fix. I knew there were different maps but I thought to get on the most aggressive one you had to flog it at WOT around a race track for a few laps. Either way it's ridiculous. Porsche should have included a "sport" switch to manually override the mapping. Even my wife's clunky SAAB has one of those!
Old 02-07-2007, 07:14 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Does the sport setting persist, or does it last just for that driving session?

My driving alternates between ticket-tempting romps and staid commuting. Nowadays, I just stay in manual mode.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:55 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
My driving alternates between ticket-tempting romps and staid commuting. Nowadays, I just stay in manual mode.
Thats funny Ed - my driving alternates between ticket tempting romps and getting getting stuck behind traffic!
Old 02-08-2007, 04:14 AM
MPB993
Instructor

Just fit a SC that cures all sluggishness :-)

993 tip tpc'd (50k miles)
Old 02-08-2007, 05:32 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
Does the sport setting persist, or does it last just for that driving session?
There are several parameters that are taken into consideration,
but in general, the sport setting will last for three minutes, if
the car is driven with normal to low load just after.
The three minutes are accounted for with the lateral and motion sensor active (+) ie:If on a stop light, the counter does not roll

Some might ask what is the difference between the two sport mappings,
several parameters, to give one,
one mapping in manual mode, will not automatically upshift gears even with rpm on RED in strong lateral force (cornering) and an electronic cutoff will activate, and the gear position maintained.
Whereas, in a straight line, and in manual mode, if you push the rpm to the red zone, the gearbox upshifts by itself
Old 02-08-2007, 06:59 AM
mr5000
7th Gear

Thanks Geolab, I will try your suggestion tonight in auto mode and report back over weekend after changing the liquids and filter. I was in manual mode most of time though and notice this behavior in all gears. However, I was not punching the accelerator all the way.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:23 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

I must have stumbled onto the latter of the two sport modes (the straight lne example you gave, Geolab) on an on-ramp last month. Basically, I floored it and the car took over the upshifts despite being in manual mode. It did the shifts quite well, and the sound coming from the engine was sublime.

Then I had to drop anchor to merge into traffic....!
Old 02-08-2007, 10:06 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I concur that a fluid and filter change is in order. Looking at the condition of the fluid you take out might give some clues as well.

g-luck
Old 02-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Davies
Burning Brakes

All good advice. The Tip is a pig below 4000 RPMs. At the time, Porsche could have made it peppy and responsive at either lower speeds (like regular cars) OR higher speed, and they chose the latter (thank God).
All of the sluggishness and hesitancy that is normal at low RPMs is not present when you're pushing the car hard, though. Go out and drive the thing as intended.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:59 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Matt Davies
All good advice. The Tip is a pig below 4000 RPMs. At the time, Porsche could have made it peppy and responsive at either lower speeds (like regular cars) OR higher speed, and they chose the latter (thank God).
All of the sluggishness and hesitancy that is normal at low RPMs is not present when you're pushing the car hard, though. Go out and drive the thing as intended.

yes indeed, I never had a problem keeping up with my stick counterparts on the track (when in higher revs)

..and go figure, I could pull out of turns faster with my tip vs. my stick counterparts!!!!!!

I'm really going to miss driving my 993 at the track

Quick Reply: sluggish 993 tip