Sponsored by:

Bosch Hammer Renter

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 03:12 AM
Flyingtexan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bosch Hammer Renter

Has any of my fellow Rennlisters ever pondered the idea of a Bosch Hammer rental program? Surely this would succeed.

The hammer would technically belong to someone, however it could be rented out and eventually pay for itself. Maybe RL would purchase several or even one and look into this idea.

I've seen a similar "trust oriented" system work with stamp collectors. I'm sure even a hefty deposit would be understandable.

Lets kick this around?
Old 02-07-2007, 04:14 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

I could supply the PST2, but it seems complicated, regarding shipping, insurance, etc . . .
Old 02-07-2007, 10:24 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hmm. I just bought one. I was certainly planning on offering use of it to the local PCA guys on a beer-exchange-basis.

But playing with it, it's not the sort of thing I'd want to just send someone. There's a bit of a learning curve and it's far from the sort of friendly user interface that, say, VAG-COM has.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:49 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyingtexan
Has any of my fellow Rennlisters ever pondered the idea of a Bosch Hammer rental program? Surely this would succeed.
There was a rental program on the 964 forum but with Doug Boyce's software widely available it no longer makes a whole lot of sense. The briefcase for the kts-300 is about the size of a desktop computer so for what it costs to ship the hammer across country you can buy an ISO-9141 interface and connector and then some. Plus you need to charge a $2000USD security deposit. I've lent mine out locally for no-cost and I know of others doing the same. If you can't find someone locally I would suggest spending $40USD for a computer interface and use some free software?
Old 02-08-2007, 02:05 AM
Flyingtexan
Instructor

Jason, please expound on this interface and software.....I'm not familiar. Is this the durmetrix stuff or something else? Can this activate the the ABS stuff?
Old 02-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Randy Carter
Rennlist Member

Is the hammer useful with non Porsche products? What do they currently cost?
Old 02-12-2007, 09:53 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Jason, please expound on this interface and software.....I'm not familiar. Is this the durmetrix stuff or something else?
Doug Boyce released some free software on Rennlist for accessing the control units that rely on the non-standard OBD communications protocol that Bosch uses in the 964, 993, 986, 996, etc.

Can this activate the the ABS stuff?
It will not currently bleed the traction control (ABD) circuit but you really don't need to unless you've replaced a hydraulic unit.

Originally Posted by Randy Carter
Is the hammer useful with non Porsche products?
The KTS-300 does have some generic OBD2/CARB support but I've never tried using it with an OBD2 vehicle.

Originally Posted by Randy Carter
What do they currently cost?
$1800-2000USD.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:23 AM
Peter R.
Pro

If your car is ODBII compliant you can build an interface and use free software on a laptop. If you're handy with a soldering Iron, parts with a PCB will cost you about 150 USD from e.g. Ozen Elektronik

http://www.ozenelektronik.com

Peter R.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:05 AM
smddanny
Instructor

What about the solution offered on the P-car site. Seems like a professionally produced and maintained interface (labview perhaps) that works on your lap top. The connector and software were jsut over $100. I was going to do that specially since it was blessed by Robin of p-cars are a "good thing".

Danny Shapiro
96 993 tt
Old 02-13-2007, 12:30 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

The problem with the Ozen electronic interfaces has been that they rely on the ELM232 chip which severely limits their usefulness. If you are feeling adventurous there are public domain interfaces with actual component costs ~$9USD. For an OBD2 based 993 the most complete interface might be the Durametric scanner or for slightly less money for the OBD1 993 maybe a $40USD interface from Andy Whittaker with DougB's free software.

Quick Reply: Bosch Hammer Renter