Inexpensive Garage Flooring at Costco

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 09:13 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by InTheAir
The flooring holds up very well. ...

I have also used a floor jack and jack stands to lift the 993 and the flooring withstood it.

This was my question. You jacked up your car and the floor jack didn't mark the flooring? That's impressive. **** must be tough as hell.

chris
Old 01-31-2007, 09:25 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Svaha
Yeah, I wondered about the Race Deck solution too. It looks really cool. The fact that each single square foot of the flooring is a separate piece seems like a negative to me. Also, it has to be secured to the floor. With the BLT mat from Costco there are no edges anywhere that might see use, and the mat does not need to be secured to the floor. Along with the inexpensive price it was a no brainer for me.
Two clarifications. Racedeck does not have to be secured to the floor. Unless you drive into your garage at about 30mph then lock your brakes, then it doesn't move.

Also, the product ships with 4 sections already fastened together, so if you choose a single solid color you assemble the products 4 sq ft at a time not 1 sq ft. I made a significant portion of my design a solid color for this reason.

The only real issue is cost.

By the way, on a recent airplane trip I saw a similar product to Racedeck in the "Skymall" catalog. It's on page one and a similar roll out product being discussed here is on page two of the link.

http://www.skymall.com/shopping/subd...ndexRefresh=no
Old 01-31-2007, 10:28 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack of Hearts
This was my question. You jacked up your car and the floor jack didn't mark the flooring? That's impressive. **** must be tough as hell.

chris
Yup,

Floor jack = no problem.

Jack Stands = I always put a piece of flat outdoor carpet, because my jack stands have very sharp edges. I've never tested it without the carpet.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:06 AM
Chuck A.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gjtrek
I saw this same flooring at Costco last week. It is very durable in feel, quite thick and definitely worthy of consideration.

I am still wavering over the Race Deck style poly flooring squares. Costco also has them available in limited colors.

Incidentally, does anyone have experience with this type of Race Deck flooring insofar as the flooring clattering when you walk on it or being loose to the point where the decking needs glueing or some type of underlayment to deaden the clatter sound? Also, I've heard it has a propensity to buckle or maybe curl up if exposed to high temperture days with direct sunlite. Any comments on this issue?

Thanks in advance for the comments. Regards, Gary
I have had the Costco version of the Racedeck flooring for about 2 years. It does make a slight clicking sound when you walk on it. Actually, the first time my dog walked on it, he jumped a little bit because he didn't know what the noise was.

It has not buckled or curled. I have a 4 post lift sitting on it and use both jacks and stands without a problem.

My only complaint is that I would not get white tiles again. It is really difficult to keep clean. In the spring I removed the whole floor, pulled it into the driveway and scrubbed and power-washed it because it gets so dirty.

Although checkerboard looks cool, I think gray is the way to go.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:06 PM
Mike A.
Instructor

The Race Deck tiles snap together very tightly. I have washed my floor with soap and water with a mop with no apparent leak in between the tiles. They are tight. They are expensive, but if you buy over 500 sq ft, they cost $3/ tile.
Also, you can choose different colors and make your own design.
Attached Images     
Old 02-02-2007, 12:29 AM
curveraider
Racer

SWEET garage!
Old 02-02-2007, 01:54 AM
gjtrek
Instructor

Thanks for the insight on your experience. Can anyone comment on the extent of PCA discount available from the corportate site? Is a $3.00 per tile expectation realistic , or more or less?

I was recently told by RD franchise max to PCA is $.35 per tile, 10% discount. Seems a little slim on the discount. Anyone on the RL board have any better insight on this issue? I will contact corporate RD on the intiernet and see what is in store for its PCA stipend. Once known youall will be the first to know. regards, gary
Old 02-02-2007, 02:25 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I used Armstrong commercial vinyl tiles (about $1.30/ft.) (12"x12") about 10 years ago, and they have held up extremely well. I have used jack stands on them with no problems. Easy to install, easy to maintain, easy to create a design, price is right, and easy to replace a tile if it gets damaged. Maybe not as slick looking as some, but I've been very happy with it.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Jim,

Do you have any photos?
Old 12-11-2018, 04:38 AM
Stonin
5th Gear

I used the stuff from lowes and had no peeling like these models https://10carbest.com/best-garage-floor-mats didn't sand just washed it with that acid stuff, waited a few hours and painted it. Been over a year and no chips or peeling. I haul the jack around the floor, drop tools, oil, brake clean and its been good so far.

Last edited by Stonin; 12-17-2018 at 04:14 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:26 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

Wow!

Quick Reply: Inexpensive Garage Flooring at Costco