becker cacscade install

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 02:30 PM
pezza
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default becker cacscade install

Hi guys,

I've had a fairly frustrating day today, I removed a becker cascade from my 4S, that I had installed previously myself, this was after I worked out how to hook up all the original nokia dsp system that had been disabled, and have set about fitting into my new 993.

I know that a lot of you don't rate the original audio equipment, but I like my car to be fairly original, so if it's in there then I want it working not bypassed. So I set about removing all the aftermarket audio gear from the new car, just a basic sony head unit and a nokia carkit....I have never seen so many wires for a basic install!

The previous installs had basically cut all the wires, and connectors off of the loom, man does that bug me, so I have put new molex connectors on! I have prettty much had the whole dash and interior panels out, as I have run the gps aerial from the rear parcel deck, and also installed the mic for the handsfree function on the becker, I've hooked the speed signal up and also the reverse signal from the back of the CCU, so all good to go. I've fitted the autochanger in also today.

Everything is working................................................................. ........................................................................ ........................................................................ .......
EXCEPT I HAVE NO SOUND! I'm pretty sure it is the cable from the headunit to the nokia dsp amp under the seat, this has been cut up and spliced into by previous installs....I'm getting 12v switched down there, I think the problem is with the ground....or I have ballsed up the pin out schema on the yellow molex C1, but followed the info on a previous post. I'm out of time as it is pitch black outside now, but everything is back in, just no sound. I know about jumping the switched power/aerial into c1-6..

I have asked before, but didn't mamge to get a photo, but can someone be a hero and take a close up photo of the back of the yellow C1 plug that goes into the back of the factory headunit with factory 10 speaker hi fi equipped cars, so I can check to make sure the pin out is correct, if so I guess there must be a break in the cable.

Oh yes, the check engine light came on this morning!
Old 01-28-2007, 02:48 PM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have any advice on how to solve your sound problem.... but I am with you on two things....I like the "stock / oem " look also, which means original conncetors etc....

and i hate how installers chop up everything and just do the quick and easy (and messy) route when installing things into a car.

can you post pics of your install for others (especially me) ?

for others, the pic below is a molex connector (had to look that one up) :
Attached Images  
Old 01-28-2007, 03:40 PM
pezza
Racer

No problem about posting some photo's but can't do it at the moment as the headunit is on my desk, got to sort the audio lead first to the amp, then it can all go in.

I'm not sure if the cascade will work in the usa, I know that there is some software for the USA that works as it is the OEM audio in Ferrari, but not sure if it is available to the retail/public? I think I might even have it?

I still need a shot of that yellow plug!
Old 01-29-2007, 05:50 PM
pezza
Racer

I've ordered a replacement din cable from the dealer, surprised at the LOW cost of this cable, wished I'd checked first as I have spent more on crimping tools and crimps than the lead cost.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:48 PM
pezza
Racer

All in and working, had to replace the audio lead, that connects the head unit to the nokia dsp amp under the seat.
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2007, 03:51 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Perry,
Very clean look. How does the navigation feature work?

Andreas
Old 02-05-2007, 04:04 PM
pezza
Racer

On the UK model it is postcode based, same as the USA zip, or street name and number. Has the same GPS aerial setup as the traffic pro, I purchased an additional extension cable so it is mounted under the rear shelf, next to the wiper motor, so totally hidden. The microphone for the voice control and bluetooth cell phone connection is located on the steering column housing.

The display has loads of colour options, but it appears that the yellow is most suited to the 993 interior, as it a combo of yellow and orange for the display readouts. The pick up for the speed sensor and the reverse signal were taken off the back of the CCU. Although if you have the nokia dsp option in the car, you can turn the GAL function off on the head unit as the nokia system takes care of it for you.

The cascade also takes a compact flash card, so a good option if you want to retain a cd changer and also have an ipod like system, as I just copy the mp3's to the compact flash card, and the headunit uses them as a source for audio, with track names etc.

Quick Reply: becker cacscade install