993 Forum 1995-1998

Best Price for OEM Litronic Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 01:41 AM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Best Price for OEM Litronic Headlights

I was curious....what was the best price you have seen advertised for Litronics ?

1. DPS-motors sells them for either $1900 or $2200 depending on the day (that was a joke)....they are always selling them at 2 diff price points

2. I was told that Bosch makes a "kit" - that you pull together into a box yourself or sometihng...and that should go for about 1500-1600 euros

3. Porsche sells them for appox $2400-2700

4. Porsche Germany sell them for approx 2200-2400 euro (IIRC)

What is the best price you have seen for the OEM stuff ????
Old 01-19-2007, 07:26 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Alf.. I don't know that much about the U.S sources however I do have some input regarding the european market.. Gert sells them for 2.450euro, which is quite a lot. However, www.teile.pl sells them for 1.743euro (everything new, except ballasts, the kit comes with used ballasts). They are having it on sale now.. Otherwise my advice would be to talk to "geolab", he seems to know pretty much everything you need to know about this . He might be able to hook you up with a Bosch kit.. Hope that this was of any help.. Cheers
Old 01-19-2007, 08:04 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Oh, and no affil etc....
Old 01-19-2007, 10:40 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Given the exchange rate and the deep discounts at U.S. vendors like Sunset, you might be better off ordering from here.

Not sure what Sunset charges, but their prices are usually jaw dropping compared to other vendors.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:01 PM
burton
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think DPS sells the OEMs at the lowest price taking the dollar / euro exchange rate into consideration.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:44 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

Interested to hear more about the "Kit".... which I suppose is a change to the projectors in the back of the headlamp and a ballast/igniter etc.

What projecter type did Porsche/Bosch use on the Litronic headlamps??? Anyone know?
Old 01-19-2007, 03:17 PM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vhanzon
..Otherwise my advice would be to talk to "geolab", he seems to know pretty much everything you need to know about this . He might be able to hook you up with a Bosch kit.. Hope that this was of any help.. Cheers
He has been very helpful getting me information... I will post part numbers when I get an answer from Bosch in Germany.

ps: I don;t think any response is complete without the following : "I love your car!!!! damn that's nice! ...saw your other pics from a while back" .....feel free to send me high resolution pics...my email is my username at yahoo !
Old 01-20-2007, 01:38 AM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the set I bought from Dayton at DPS.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:21 AM
deltawedge
Racer

Stupid question. Get ready.... Are litronics the same as HID? Are there different versions of HID. There seem to be visual differences in the light from a MY 2000 HID and a 2007 HID (same car). What's up with that?

Thanks,
Old 01-20-2007, 05:24 AM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There are different intensities of light dispersions. I forget the "gauges" they go by. Something like factory=2000...then 6000...then 8000...then 10,000 "whatevers". I think Litronic is just the name brand PORSCHE uses. Some are blue and some are white emitting.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:55 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by grmnxtc
Interested to hear more about the "Kit".... which I suppose is a change to the projectors in the back of the headlamp and a ballast/igniter etc.

What projecter type did Porsche/Bosch use on the Litronic headlamps??? Anyone know?
Don't know about the projector type but regarding the kit: As far as I understood, the kit consists of two complete headlight housings with ballasts, igniters etc. These new housings replace the stock headlight housings, so there is no modifying inside the housings with the factory litronic upgrade..

Originally Posted by deltawedge
Stupid question. Get ready.... Are litronics the same as HID? Are there different versions of HID. There seem to be visual differences in the light from a MY 2000 HID and a 2007 HID (same car). What's up with that?

Thanks,
HID-kits are aftermarket conversions of your regular halogen bulbs to xenon bulbs. The kit includes bulbs, ballasts, igniters and wiring. HID-kits use your stock headlight housings and are most often sold in 4300K, which gives you the most light-effective beam (looks white-ish, maybe with a hint of blue). The litronics are the oem xenon headlights, which (according to what is stated above) replace the stock housings completely..

Hope I answered some of your questions.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:53 PM
deltawedge
Racer

Thanks. With the Litronics, where are all of the electrical components located (ballast, etc)?
Old 01-21-2007, 11:04 AM
V
Rennlist Member

About the same place as the release lever for your headlights e.g to the left and right respectively, in the front part of the trunk, under the carpet
Old 01-21-2007, 01:35 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

For the ones who do not have litronics and are interested in the bosch kit or dealers' (exact same IMO)
please download this file which is essential.
It would give you an idea what is involved in the proceedure, and how to.
One of the greatest DIY's in my opinion, with respect to the before/after effect
Old 01-21-2007, 03:17 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Geo,
Impeccable timing with your pdf file
I too am contemplating a feasibility/cost issue with the objective to convert to litronics using the items below: these pieces were recovered from the OEM litronics in my C4S parts car - obviously needing a couple of bulbs and one wiring harness within the reflector.
Reading the pdf list, also required are the two harness units for the external ballasts .... and two headlight units: the latter may be the deal breaker, for the oem zenon bulb has a different mounting than a H1 bulb.

Ideas??? Is it better to source the required bits from Porsche $$$$? .... or forget that approach, and buy the aftermarket ~$250 kit
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Best Price for OEM Litronic Headlights