Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 02:51 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Garth S
Geo,
Impeccable timing with your pdf file
I too am contemplating a feasibility/cost issue with the objective to convert to litronics using the items below: these pieces were recovered from the OEM litronics in my C4S parts car - obviously needing a couple of bulbs and one wiring harness within the reflector.
Reading the pdf list, also required are the two harness units for the external ballasts .... and two headlight units: the latter may be the deal breaker, for the oem zenon bulb has a different mounting than a H1 bulb.

Ideas??? Is it better to source the required bits from Porsche $$$$? .... or forget that approach, and buy the aftermarket ~$250 kit
Garth, thats the exact same question a friend asked me last year.
My answer was that all depends on the budget, but don't we always prefer original equipment.
I see you have the original ballasts already, which renders the 'original' option very pheasable.
Go to ebay, and search for ended item number : 230037484160
contact the seller, he has a stock on those.
check with him the exact porsche headlight numbers you want for both sides.
If you make the deal, you will be left with only the wiring harness to get from the dealer.
I see you have the mounting brackets for the ballasts, so don't buy those twice,
and I am sure you already have three rivets for each side.

The xenon is H2, to answer your other question.
keep us posted

Last edited by geolab; 01-22-2007 at 03:07 AM.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by geolab
Garth, thats the exact same question a friend asked me last year.
My answer was that all depends on the budget, but don't we always prefer original equipment.
I see you have the original ballasts already, which renders the 'original' option very pheasable.
Go to ebay, and search for ended item number : 230037484160
contact the seller, he has a stock on those.
check with him the exact porsche headlight numbers you want for both sides.
If you make the deal, you will be left with only the wiring harness to get from the dealer.
I see you have the mounting brackets for the ballasts, so don't buy those twice,
and I am sure you already have three rivets for each side.

The xenon is H2, to answer your other question.
keep us posted
Geo' Thanks for the link. This confirms that new headlight units are required to complete my box of parts. I'll check the spare front chassis wire harness for plug-ins to the ballasts - but I suspect it is an integral harness, and I've no plans to wrestle that 10 ft octopus in a swap out

Apparently the aftermarket kits use a zenon bulb type with a H1 base .. as the stock headlights are used.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:31 PM
rj777
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I second the recommendation of Dayton at Departstop. I bought his oem kit in the fall of '03, and my litronics have been lighting up the night for three+ years now. And I couldn't have been happier with the smoothness of the transaction, the great e-mails, and the follow-up as well.

- rick
Old 06-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm considering a HID upgrade.

4300K or so sounds just right. More importantly, and somewhat foolishly, I'd like to get the OEM Litronics that "pop like flash bulbs" at startup according to an old Car and Driver. Are those available from Dayton? Or elsewhere?

Thanks! (And I did search...)

Matt
Old 06-13-2008, 08:23 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Smiles
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm considering a HID upgrade.

4300K or so sounds just right. More importantly, and somewhat foolishly, I'd like to get the OEM Litronics that "pop like flash bulbs" at startup according to an old Car and Driver. Are those available from Dayton? Or elsewhere?

Thanks! (And I did search...)

Matt
The OEM lights light up the same as aftermarket. They pop on and and brighten as they warm up. I have OEM litronics in both 993s and the ballasts are even the same as some aftermarket ballasts.
I'd add the aftermarket and go with the smaller versions that will fit inside the headlight housing for an easy, clean install.
Also considerably more cost effective.
My 4 cents
Old 06-13-2008, 09:15 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd add the aftermarket and go with the smaller versions that will fit inside the headlight housing for an easy, clean install.
Also considerably more cost effective.
My 4 cents [/QUOTE]
+1!!
Buy the ones on Ebay for $100. You will be very happy!
Old 06-14-2008, 07:55 PM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great! Thanks, guys.

Quick Reply: Best Price for OEM Litronic Headlights