Sponsored by:

C4 In The Snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 05:03 PM
motion
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did someone say Z-rated tires and snow???

Last edited by motion; 07-09-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:26 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

It looks some miss the so lets go

my original post

Originally Posted by geolab
Says Michelin at Clermont-ferrand, the factory where they build this tyre.

When you call Michelin and ask for pilot sport in 285/30/zr18 they will give you two choices.

specification N0 or specification N1
they would not ask you rib or no rib.
I even have the Porsche/Michelin joint catalog for the 993.
they preconize the N0 for 17" and N1 for 18" in Michelin

If asked nicely, I could even scan their catalog where clearly it is written , and pictured.

Pilot Sport Rib is NOT the model name. Maybe at tire rack it is, but try to call Michelin
and ask for Pilot Sport Rib.
N1 is not just a designation, It is the specification of the tire where Michelin has
developed it in CLOSE collaboration with Porsche.
The only difference with the other Pilot Sport, both ZR, is the Spec. N0 and N1

Although both are "blessed" as you say, Porsche recommends N0 for 17" and
the N1 for 18" when both have the exact MSRP price. So there is the difference, not
just mere blessing.

I purchased 4 new N1's in december, and called the factory to find a close retailer.

Originally Posted by DJF1
Mr. smarty pants when you write stuff here on Rennlist you better double check your facts before you post it as a "fact". You may have an opinion and you are entitled to it but please dont post things as facts when they are just an opinion.
Mr. smarty pants when I write stuff here on Rennlist, you'd better READ and understand
what is written, before mumbling like a frog.

So lets see, I'm going to waste 10 minutes of my time to show you how why from now on you should post correct facts on this board

1. Pilot Sport PS2, Designation N1 in the following sizes:
235/35ZR19 Blackwall N1 (Porsche OE)
265/35ZR19 Blackwall N1 (Porsche OE)
295/30ZR19 XLBlackwall N1 (Porsche OE)
305/30ZR19 Blackwall N1 (Porsche OE)

2. Pilot Sport Rib, Designation N1 in the following sizes:
225/40ZR18 Blackwall N1 (Porsche OE)
265/35ZR18 Blackwall N1 (Porsche OE)
285/30ZR18 Blackwall N1 (Porsche OE)
295/30ZR18 Blackwall N1 (Porsche OE)

So the PS2 is the same as the Rib in design?
1st, Nobody, just nobody spoke about the PS2, nor the CUP, the issue is ONLY michelin PILOT SPORT period. If you simply read what is written, you should understand that I was saying I CALLED Michelin, and there is NOOOO Michelin Pilot Sport RIB/RIBBED/OR WHATEVER. Michelin has produced the Michelin Pilot Sport in several specifications. The Pilot Sport with porsche specifications exist in N0 and N1(-2003) and N1 and N2 (2003-)
2nd, Presumably You claim to be the one who teaches me? to state facts?
and where did you get the wording Blackwall in your description above, from
Michelin or from Porsche? Is this Facts? prove it, show me ONE porsche document, or Michelin document where it states BLACKWALL, or worse RIB

As to your theory of Porsche having designated N0 as 17" tires how do you explain this:

1. Michelin Pilot Sport, Designation N0 in the following sizes:
235/40ZR18 Blackwall N0 (Porsche OE)
315/30ZR18 Blackwall N0 (Porsche OE)

2. Michelin Pilot Sport Cup, designation N0 in the following sizes:
235/35ZR19 Blackwall N0 (Porsche OE)
305/30ZR19 XL Blackwall N0 (Porsche OE)
I am starting to get convinced you have a problem reading,
Nobody said Porsche has designated N0 as 17" tyres,
BUT Porsche recommends the Michelin Pilot SPORT N0 for 993's with 17" wheels.
And Porsche recommends the Michelin Pilot SPORT N1 for 993's with 18" wheels. Clear? or too complicated?

Need to continue with other tires brands designated N0 or N1?

I really don't want to waste more time compiling data.
You call this data? a copy paste from TyreRack ?(Nothing against the site though, the best)

If you want to know what is data, here is the latest PORSCHE factory update service bulletin on tyres. And if you do not understand it, just let the others share instead
of strolling the threads to pick on somebody and take it personal.

For reference in the service bulletin, the Michelin Pilot Sport N0 is not in production anymore since 2003, and was replaced by the Michelin Pilot Sport N2 (and we are not talking about the
Michelin PILOT SPORT PS2, CLEAR?
I will be receiving the old service bulletin where the Pilot Sport N0 was in production, and it will be posted. I have the ROW one, but I insist on posting the US version, the
english is clearer maybe.

NOW WHERE DO YOU SEE RIB IN ALL THAT??????????

Last edited by geolab; 11-02-2007 at 06:13 AM.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:50 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

All season tires suck all seasons.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:57 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Mr. smarty pants when I write stuff here on Rennlist, you'd better READ and understand
what is written, before mumbling like a frog.

Wow! God has spoken, you must read and understand what he says....

I am sure Danny is very offended since you called him a frog. Calling someone who is not french French might be offensive.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:03 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 241 Posts

Guys...please don't let this thread go south....
Old 01-22-2007, 06:35 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by 911XTC
...the 993 is stranded at the bottom of the hill my only option was to drive the wife’s MB R350...
I read the entire thread before posting. I just yesterday drove my 88 Carrera (rear wheel drive) in the snow with summer tires and didn't have any problems getting around. Some people say that summer tires are bricks, and I would tend to agree, but that doesn't mean you can't drive on them in the winter. It just means that you won't be getting good traction since they aren't designed for winter driving. The same goes for running winter tires on the race track. You can run them, but they won't stick as well.

The truth is, I am surprised that you got stuck with all wheel drive, unless the snow was very deep. I come from a small town and most farmers agree that a 4x4 pickup trucks just gets you stuck deeper than a 4x2. There is really no reason to get stuck with your 993 unless the all wheel drive system isn't working properly. I'd get it checked out before you get new tires...

A dedicate set of winter tires for winter and a dedicated set for summer is the optimum way to go, but definitely not necessary. I know of driving instructors who run all season tires on the track.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:50 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
I read the entire thread before posting. I just yesterday drove my 88 Carrera (rear wheel drive) in the snow with summer tires and didn't have any problems getting around. Some people say that summer tires are bricks, and I would tend to agree, but that doesn't mean you can't drive on them in the winter. It just means that you won't be getting good traction since they aren't designed for winter driving. The same goes for running winter tires on the race track. You can run them, but they won't stick as well.

The truth is, I am surprised that you got stuck with all wheel drive, unless the snow was very deep. I come from a small town and most farmers agree that a 4x4 pickup trucks just gets you stuck deeper than a 4x2. There is really no reason to get stuck with your 993 unless the all wheel drive system isn't working properly. I'd get it checked out before you get new tires...

A dedicate set of winter tires for winter and a dedicated set for summer is the optimum way to go, but definitely not necessary. I know of driving instructors who run all season tires on the track.
I did the same thing yesterday - the DIFFERENCE is that I got caught when it started..so no salt no melt just a tad of fresh falling snow on the highway....real unking scary...thank God for the weight in the rear.. OMG..I was on skis....the car was felt like it was floating on air.(and was going very very slow) ....pretty much touch and go..took me 2 hours to go 35 miles..per Ray..what a bone head thing it was to do to go out before checking the weather...never again will it happen...

My biggest fear was the 4 wheelers who think they're invincible..saw quite a few that passed me earlier, end up in the ditches and off to the side....
Old 01-22-2007, 07:12 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,011 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
I did the same thing yesterday - the DIFFERENCE is that I got caught when it started..so no salt no melt just a tad of fresh falling snow on the highway....real unking scary...thank God for the weight in the rear.. OMG..I was on skis....the car was felt like it was floating on air.(and was going very very slow) ....pretty much touch and go..took me 2 hours to go 35 miles..per Ray..what a bone head thing it was to do to go out before checking the weather...never again will it happen...
I had an interesting experience recently. I'm running PS2s with about 80% in the front and 50% in the back. I drove up to Whistler (ski resort) a few weeks ago after I checked the weather forecast and it was apparently clear. 20 minutes away from Whistler it started snowing and flurries started accumulating on the road. I was concerned but the car gripped like glue. I was thoroughly impressed and thought it was the best RWD I'd ever driven in the snow. I got in and didn't use the car until two days later when the roads were clear.

Last time it snowed I thought I'd take the car out. The roads were barely painted white and the car was as good as skating on ice. I didn't make it down the block before I made a Uie and put her away. Maybe the heat from driving on the highway up to Whistler gave the tires extra grip on the snow...maybe, I don't know. Whatever the case may be, I revert to the tired and true: snows in the winter, good Zs in the summer.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:19 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LJ in Van
I had an interesting experience recently. I'm running PS2s with about 80% in the front and 50% in the back. I drove up to Whistler (ski resort) a few weeks ago after I checked the weather forecast and it was apparently clear. 20 minutes away from Whistler it started snowing and flurries started accumulating on the road. I was concerned but the car gripped like glue. I was thoroughly impressed and thought it was the best RWD I'd ever driven in the snow. I got in and didn't use the car until two days later when the roads were clear.

Last time it snowed I thought I'd take the car out. The roads were barely painted white and the car was as good as skating on ice. I didn't make it down the block before I made a Uie and put her away. Maybe the heat from driving on the highway up to Whistler gave the tires extra grip on the snow...maybe, I don't know. Whatever the case may be, I revert to the tired and true: snows in the winter, good Zs in the summer.
I think it's worst when it's falling without the accumlation....

I see I wan't the only bone head yesterday....check dis...

http://www.dorkiphus.com/porsche/showthread.php?t=12401
Old 01-22-2007, 07:23 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
Wow! God has spoken, you must read and understand what he says....

I am sure Danny is very offended since you called him a frog. Calling someone who is not french French might be offensive.

I tell you what Greg, he is not French either... I lived in France for 2 years and the French I met there were not egotistical, ignorant and rude people.

As for you Geolab or whatever your name is, stop responding like a hysterical woman on PMS. Everytime someone here disputes your so called "facts" you virtually go on a rampage and its getting old.
You have to read what you write first before making comments. Now english may not be your first language, its not mine either, but when you choose to participate in an English conversation, you have to understand that what you write in the first place you cannot take it back, so you have to be carefull and sure of what you are saying. I guess for other people we are all very understanding, but with you and the way you tend to respond to critisism and correction, you only have one shot to get it right.

You said on your second post:
I am starting to get convinced you have a problem reading,
Nobody said Porsche has designated N0 as 17" tyres,
And you said on your first post:
they preconize the N0 for 17" and N1 for 18" in Michelin
Who said that Porsche designates N0 for their 17" tires? You stated as above that in the Pilot Sport designated N0 for 17" and N1 for 18". I disputed that fact and you go batman like my 4 month old kitten jumps on my older cat.
So who has the problem reading?

You keep on insisting hysterically ( which makes me laugh just thinking about it) that that the normal Pilot Sport is the same as the Pilot Sport Rib?

Looksy at the pictures and have a nice day... I'm done with you and I'm not going to waste anymore of my time for you.
Attached Images   
Old 01-22-2007, 09:20 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Temp has a lot to do with it. "Wet" snow is slippery snow. When it is good and cold out, nice "crunchy" snow gives great traction (realatively).
Old 01-22-2007, 09:29 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vjd3
You should also get the car on a lift and spin a rear wheel by hand to see if the front wheels move with it. Lots of people think they are driving a C4 that is really a C2 because ...
let us not forget the dyno accidents.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:33 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Temp has a lot to do with it. "Wet" snow is slippery snow. When it is good and cold out, nice "crunchy" snow gives great traction (realatively).
That's got to be it. So far, in Chicago, I haven't driven below 20F. So far, my car has plenty of grip in the rain, snow, sleet, etc. But again, I haven't driven below 20F, so I might be in for a surprise with my P7 M+S tires.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:09 AM
martyp
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by robof4
Not sure WHAT the price of admission is to this show....any SUGGESTIONS from a HIGHLY experince RENNLISTER like ur self
You got me there, LOL! I'm always willing to accept funds, so make the check out to . . .
Old 01-23-2007, 11:55 PM
911XTC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978

Actually, my car did really well until I had to go up the steep hills near my house. I am familiar with Chicago, the terrain is not nearly the same as it can be here in Portland, and they do not use salt here. When I lived in Detroit people would regularly drive stock Corvettes and Z28 all winter long without any real problems. It’s the big hills that will do you in.

Quick Reply: C4 In The Snow