Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is why I don't do DIY's and my MY 02 Shifter install gone bad...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 10:55 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I mow my own lawn, pick up my dogs crap, trim my own tree's, but when it comes to vehicles, I dont do much.

I work in the video confernecing industry (Polycom, TANDBERG, Codian, Radvision, ect) and can configure a video confernecing unit on a network and deal with firewalls but cars just arent my thing. Its like most video games growing up that the joystick was on the right side and the fire buttons on the left. Missle Command and Crystal Castle I couldnt play. Just didnt work for this lefty!! I view DIY on vehicles as a right handed persons fortay.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:58 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow Steve...I got tired by just reading that. As Garth says, you are almost there, just give it one more try until the boot snaps in place.

BTW...Look at the bright side...I think that this DIY post should get you nominated as the Chief Mechanic of the HWFRM Racing Team.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:03 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Where's Greg from Tampa? His Bozo stories might add some much needed perspective.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:12 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 347 Posts

Steve,

If the end of this DIY goes like mine usually do, you'll walk out to your car tomorrow and everything will snap into place in 2 minutes. You'll sit there slightly pi**ed off but with a silly grin on your face wondering what you did that was different.

You'll get it.

TMc
Old 01-10-2007, 11:18 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Man, you guys really have me laughing... and I just went back out to the garage. First I washed my wife's car in sub 32 degree weather. The hose was frozen but eventually water came out. The car was so cold I had to bring it into the garage to dry it as it was freezing on the surface out there in the driveway. After cleaning that for 40 minutes, a task I don't mind, a task so I didn't have to think about the real task at hand, I thought I'd give it one more stubborn "go".

I got the right side in it's "hinged place" as Garth beautifully and thoughtfully put it, I gently (ok, not so gently) pinched that darn leather on the left and pulled it up and I think I heard the angels sing and a harp stummed a chord - It seemed to snap into those metal hook things. I thought I really had it this time. I could have cried with joy, until... I took my flashlight (the light in my garage sucks) to check it out and the part of the leather at the top closest to the dashboard still isn't seated perfectly in place.

You know what though, I'm pretty sure it's perfectly driveable the way it is for now. I'm going to revisit this in the daylight tomorrow afternoon when I get back from work. I can't wait to work on it again... not. I only wish I had a neighbor who also had a 993 so I could say "you see that thing - what the heck do I do now to get it into place?"

Then they'd stick their magical hand into that boot like they were fishing for gold, pull up the leather and it would all wondrously seal airtight and into place with no space in between. Then they'd say, "I give this DIY the 993 seal of approval - By George, it's perfect. Well done, chap."

Ok, so I live in a dream world. One thing I did do was try the shifter with it "almost now seated perfectly in place". Gert says in his instructions:

Done! Put the shifter in reverse and in 6th gear.
The leather of the shifter boot can't be too tight in either of the two positions.
If that is the case, you have to lower the position of the shifter.

He encloses this pic to show how it should look...

When I shift into 6th gear it does seem to stretch right to the edge of it's stretchedness (if that's a word). I think I'll just drive by Tischer tomorrow or VOB and see what they say about what I've done so far. Maybe a tech can just stick his hand in there and push that puppy perfectly into place. Then I'd feel confident that it was done right. It's always good to get that "Seal of Approval" when you're not sure.

Yeah, like "95 C4 993" just posted, when it comes to vehicles, I don't do much. This is why. I can install someone's cable TV but when it comes to my car, I'm totally lost.

To Carmg993 - You suggested me taking out the center console to see what I'm doing? Quite frankly, and I do appreciate the suggestion, I don't want to go there. The less I take apart, the better off I am. Trust me on this . Yeah, it might help me to see something better, but I'm not even sure what I'd be looking at.

Steve R

Steve R
Old 01-10-2007, 11:34 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I feel for you mate, and I know how you are feeling right now.
I couldn't find my oil tank or drain plug to do an oil change! Still. gotta have a go I say!
You did well.
Good luck.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:35 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks good to me! Congrats!
Old 01-10-2007, 11:38 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Steve - I think we all may have done a disservice here by not giving you the inside story on DIYs:

Yes, beer. Things not working quite right? Have a sip & think. You need to think more than drink, of course, but beer is key to appease the DIY gods.

I think you're looking pretty good there and don't need to pay someone at the dealer to bless your work. Come out to a PCA meeting or a Dorkiphus drive or engine drop and someone who looks like he or she knows what's going on will surely perform an inspection and help you tweak it if needed.

Just remember to bring beer.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:40 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to look at DIY projects as an opportunity to buy those pesky tools that you didn't know you needed in your tool box. That, plus you have $100/hour to spend on things you screw up inadvertently.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:58 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't feel bad.
I had a friend, who is the top mechanic at the local P-dealer drop by my house because of a strange rattling noise coming from the back of my car. After an inspection of about 2 minutes he asked for a screwdriver. I ran to get one and he took it and tightened the screws on my licence plate. Man, I wanted to run and hide!
It looks good to me, enjoy the new shifter.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:58 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Hilarious post Steve. I do feel for you though.

You pic above does indeed look like the leather is a little stretched. Since your boot isn't seated properly anyway, you might want to pull it back out and lower the **** down a bit. I haven't installed this exact **** but I'd think you'd want it as far down as you can get it. You probably didn't want to hear that did you...
Old 01-11-2007, 12:01 AM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Steve, it looks great. Your story got me laughing as I can relate completely. Especially the part about searching for the elusive tool only to realize you forgot your wallet. Hate to say I've done that more than once. Now sit back and enjoy one of those beers Ed recommended.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:13 AM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Steve - good job. Do what I did - get a PC in your garage. I dont know what I would do without a PC in my garage with all the softcopies of manuals, rennlist, pcar.com.....

Ed Burdell from Marietta - are you related to George P.?
Old 01-11-2007, 12:20 AM
2nd993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

perfect. now what will you do with the $500 you saved.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:55 AM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It`s all about state of mind . "Once you recognize your limitations you can get pass them ." I know most people here know way more about 993`s then I do but that would never stop me from attemping DIYs within reasons of course .I may take tranny out but I would not take it apart "yikes "
So far owning the car for one year DIY I have done are
1) Installed HIDS
2) Replace all lights lens front and back
3) Replace weather stripping around passenger corner window
4) Replace cables in cab top
5) Replace drivers door lock due to broken lever
6) Replace passenger headlight washer due closing garage door on it . Darn that
was stupid of me .
7) Take all wheels off and detail wheel wells " Messssy"
8)Took ashtray apart
9) Fix passenger seat . It was stuck
10) Remove driver`s seat . Yes I strip the last bolt!!
11) Cut n Polish the car . RAG TOP protected roof That is the most fun
because I truly enjoy doing that. I have a Cyclo polisher which I like
12 ) Replace some front carpeting.
The list just goes on and on . My indie is super nice guy he has always listen to my concerns . He enjoys working on race cars (especially his own) but realizes how he earns his wages. A very humble down to earth guy (and by the sound of it alot of people here ) Steve I like the way you carry your ego in your back pocket . Good luck with all you accumulation of DIY tools which include duct tape , crazy glue , big screw driver and hammer

Quick Reply: This is why I don't do DIY's and my MY 02 Shifter install gone bad...