Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is why I don't do DIY's and my MY 02 Shifter install gone bad...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 02:07 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Steve - I completely feel your pain! My first DIY involved the sensor for the e-brake lever and the cab top. I struggled, and struggled, and posted over and over on Rennlist. I was about to give up and succumb to high labor charges when I looked at it again from a different direction and with a flashlight (amazing what light will do) - piece slipped right in. A 5 second fix that only took 3 hours to get to...
This is why I am so happy that I have met people like gordo993 from Rennlist who live close, and have provided immense assistance.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by tj90
Steve - good job. Do what I did - get a PC in your garage. I dont know what I would do without a PC in my garage with all the softcopies of manuals, rennlist, pcar.com.....

Ed Burdell from Marietta - are you related to George P.?
Yessirree - BIE '82 from George P.'s alma mater.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:38 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
Yessirree - BIE '82 from George P.'s alma mater.
Excellent! I took a few undergrad classes with George - great guy!! Next time Im in GA, I will have to stop by. In-laws live off Paper Mill / Sope Creek in Marietta.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Svaha
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ed, is that you and your avatar again?
Old 01-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Well, truly, I didn't expect to be logging in here with more frustration but...

Ok, I took off those 2 demon rubber things and the freakin' **** FINALLY went the whole way down the shaft to where it's supposed to be I guess. Good riddance to those bastard rubber things.

I think I'm home free, right? So I work the leather boot thing into the hole and pull out the right side and "seat" it there in place. Then I start pulling on the left side that's supposed to go over those 2 hinge metal clips, but it won't. It just won't. I'm pulling and pulling and cursing and pulling. Nothing. Son of a bitc*. Am I hopeless? Heck, I even called ViperBob - now that's really reaching out, but he's not there. Why won't the leather thing fit over the clips now? This is hell, right?

I'm going out for dinner now. I'll be back later tonight with a fresher head. I just threw something in the garage at the wall and kicked something else, so I guess it's time to take another break.

DIY's. Man, they're so much fun.

Steve R
Old 01-11-2007, 08:04 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

BTW, save those demon rubber thingies - they are required with the metal shaft design of the OEM C4S shifter assembly.

To save that good looking new shifter in its pristine condition until filming the TV video version of your successful DIY, stick it back in the box .... and practice snapping the frame of the OEM shifter back in place: at least, you know that it did actually fit correctly. Repeat that trick, and the word "eureka" may be heard.
Practice makes ....
Old 01-11-2007, 08:04 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Steve,
Forget that stupid ****. Just wrap a whole roll of hockey stick tape around the metal shaft and call it a day. I can swing by anytime to get the **** from you.

j/k. You'll get that thing on there. Rather than pulling up on the boot itself (and risking damage to the leather) have you tried getting a finger hold under the rim of the new boot and grasping upwards until the rim engages the clips under the console? I wish we lived a bit closer so that I could give it a go.

Andreas
Old 01-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve,

I wish I can help you man... I know what your're going through. My tech who installed it had the same challenge. However I didn't stick around to watch him so I don't know how or what he did... I hate standing on the sideline and I was hoping that you wouldn't run into the same problem. I don't know what to tell you other than... I hope you had a nice dinner and I'm going to take a shot of some expensive tequila when you complete this project.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:57 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tj90
Excellent! I took a few undergrad classes with George - great guy!! Next time Im in GA, I will have to stop by. In-laws live off Paper Mill / Sope Creek in Marietta.
Ooh, high rent district. My office is less than five minutes away from Paper Mill.

By all means, PM when you're in town.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:22 PM
bus stop
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve,

Thanks for letting the rest of us know that we are not alone. You're original post was so familiar in its frustration that I could have wrote it myself. Hats off to you for trying and good luck on the eventual success.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:31 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

I am now 1/4 inch away from completion.

Pete from California was kind enough to PM me with his cell # so I nervously called him and he kindly tried to help me finish this DIY over the phone, coast to coast. I put my phone on speakerphone on the front seat of the car while I pushed, pulled on the leather and stretched my last wit of patience to finish this job on my own. It sucks having no other Rennlisters in my general area of Silver Spring to pop over to their house and ask for a quick hand for this last 1/4 inch of work.

I have now gone from this earlier today...

to this right now:

Yes, I know some of these are out of focus. Keep in mind that my camera actually broke too while doing this DIY

As you can see, the top left corner still won't fit over that metal clip, but I'm almost there. I'm tempted to just go to the Porsche dealer tomorrow to see if a tech came simply come outside to take a look at it and stick his trained finger in there and yank that last bit of boot over the clip for me while my car's in their customer parking spot. I'm not paying some guy $100 to do this, but if they take pity on me and do it for free, I'm there.

Or, I can keep trying and trying and trying myself. Maybe if I have more light, like daylight instead of my darkish garage, I'll get a better grasp of what the stumbling block is.

Still, it looks pretty good in the car and I'm glad I got the shifter. I'm still not sure whether I'm glad I tackled this job on my own, but after it's done, I hope I never have to think about it again. Some more good news - it appears that the part of the leather that got sheared off a bit is the part that you apparantly don't see as it's just below and inside the console.

Thanks Garth for letting me know to save those 2 rubber things from the shifter shaft. I plan on putting my old shift **** and leather boot for sale on Rennlist Classifieds, so I want to make sure "it's all there".

Steve R
Old 01-12-2007, 08:47 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Steve,
Do you know if the actual boot is a factory part as well, or a custom item that Gert makes for this application? Is there a chance that the stitching or the rim of the boot is simply too small for the required opening?

Andreas
Old 01-12-2007, 09:15 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Andreas - Thx for the reply. I guess that could be the case that the boot is too small and that it wasn't fabricated 100% correct. I doubt that's the case though, that anything is wrong except for my handiwork in it.

I don't know if it's a custom made part for the 993 but until I have another Rennlister look at it, I will reserve judgement on whether the boot was possibly made too small. To me, this whole thing is like trying to learn Russian overnight.

It's all good. It's mostly on now and I look forward to driving it soon with it firmly in place.

Next is the emergency brake. I can't wait. I'd say the chance of me tackling that myself is about as good as us winning the war in Iraq .

Steve R
Old 01-12-2007, 10:05 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Steve,
Before trying to force the boot in place, consider popping it back off and then holding the old and new bases up to each other - if the shape and circumference match up exactly, the new one should pop into place. Do you want to meet halfway and I'll give it a look?

Andreas
Old 01-12-2007, 10:11 AM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

Steve - this has turned into another hall of fame thread here. And don't get me wrong, there is no hidden enjoyment in watching other's struggle. Rather, as we read your frustrations, just know that we laugh because we have ALL been there. From the first fishing rod I decided to repair on my own when 10, now known as the "what are these little springs and gears on the table for?" incident, to my first oil change in my old 911SC, known as the "what's that second drain plug for?" incident.

But just think... now you have allen wrenches. Now you can get yourself into SERIOUS trouble. Oh yes, my friend. This is just the start of a long list of things you will take apart and can't get back together. Never fear though... they ALL will come together and everything will work again eventually. I suggest a good set of metric wrenches, a magentic pick-up tool, a torque wrench... and a rubber mallet. Don't worry about the mallet... you'll know when to use it when the time comes.

Oh yeah... and I would very much second the recommendation of beer. All DIY's should be rated on four scales. 1-5 dollar signs for the obvious reason. 1-5 wrenches for degree of difficulty. 1-5 band-aids for how bad you will cut yourself up while performing it. And 1-5 beers for how much you will need to drink to get through it. I would say you just did your first 2 $$, 1 wrench, 1 band-aid, 3 beer job. Congratulations!!!

Quick Reply: This is why I don't do DIY's and my MY 02 Shifter install gone bad...