Sponsored by:

Am I in trouble ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 05:22 AM
Peter R.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I in trouble ?

I locked the 993 and put the immobilizer on when I left on a skiing trip in mid december.

Unfortunately I had a small mishap and I've been confined do a wheelchair for the last 3 weeks, and it doesn't look like I'll be able to get out for at least a week more.

I haven't had a chance to look at the car since, but it's stored outdoors under a cover. What are my chances of it still starting in a week or so ? Maybe I should get a new battery for it anyway, the one in there didn't look very new when I bought the car three months ago.

I have one of these newfangled electronic trickle chargers, I just hope I can unlock the car to get the battery out, and I'll be able to switch off the immobilizer when I put a charged one back in

Peter R.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:08 AM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope you recover from your accident. Although I cannot answer your question specifically about your immobilizer (I have an early '95) I can offer my assistance if you should need any help at all. I cannot be that far away from you.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:51 AM
Peter R.
Pro

Thanks for extending the helping hand, but I'll soldier on regardless I assume Anyhoo, I have MY95 as well, and it has the 'Porsche Driveblock' system. Doesn't yours then ?

Hey, Bitburg is only 260 km away. That IS pretty close I guess...especially to US standards.

Peter R.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:58 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

As we all disconnect and change batteries from time to time, you should not have any unusual problems if your battery requires removal. If there is still charge left in the battery, it may be best to drive up with a friend and a set of jumper cables - connect in parallel, run for a few min., and start up to drive back to your charger for an overnight session [ yes, opinions run hot and cold about jumper cables - but if done correctly on a low but functional battery, they work].
The only problem I've had with the immobilizer was a dead battery in the hand held unit.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:38 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter R.
Thanks for extending the helping hand, but I'll soldier on regardless I assume Anyhoo, I have MY95 as well, and it has the 'Porsche Driveblock' system. Doesn't yours then ?

Hey, Bitburg is only 260 km away. That IS pretty close I guess...especially to US standards.

Peter R.
Peter, I also offer to help. I am about 100kms from BRU.. I also know other RLers who will help you.. PM or email :-)
Old 01-10-2007, 10:13 AM
mborkow
Drifting

i was away in asia for a couple weeks last year and my car fired right up when i got back. good luck, i hope she starts up easily.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:52 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

I wasn't as lucky... I was away for about 8 weeks but didn't drive the car the week prior either so it was about 9 weeks. When I came home the battery was dead... since it was a new battery I was able to recharge with no problem.

Good Luck and speedy recovery.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:55 AM
okindao
Addict
Rennlist Member

This is why I always plug mine into a porsce battery maintaniner as a matter of sop.......
Old 01-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Yup... got one now.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:07 AM
leosayer
Racer

As long as you don't have a excessive drain then a day or two with the trickle charger should be enough to get it up to the required voltage for starting.

If not then you have a dead battery.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:24 PM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine lasted about four weeks prior to battery maintainer. I've only had the maintainer for a week, so I'll report back...
Old 01-10-2007, 03:49 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I hope your health is returning.

My garage queen has gone months between starts at times. If a trickle charger (I guess that's the same as a "maintainer" - anyone care to comment?) doesn't do the job after 1-2 days, the battery is most likely dead/ requiring a jump start. This finally happened to me after 5.5 years of abusing an Interstate battery with the method described. Now I've got an Optima Red Top.

gordo - Don't you have an Optima? Which maintainer do you use?
Old 01-10-2007, 08:46 PM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Mine is a Schauer (sp?) Charger/Maintainer. Although, I'm afraid I may have fried my Optima. I've been told by a few independant sources that discharging a battery is a quick way to kill it. Last week Trixie was dead. Charged the battery and she fired right up. Drove her about 45 minutes, then she sat for an hour. She fired right up. Drove another 45 minutes, then sat for two hours - dead!! Jumped her - then drove another 45 minutes home without incident.

Tomorrow, I'll take her out and get the battery/alternator tested and see what the results are.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:01 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gordo993
Mine is a Schauer (sp?) Charger/Maintainer. Although, I'm afraid I may have fried my Optima. I've been told by a few independant sources that discharging a battery is a quick way to kill it. Last week Trixie was dead. Charged the battery and she fired right up. Drove her about 45 minutes, then she sat for an hour. She fired right up. Drove another 45 minutes, then sat for two hours - dead!! Jumped her - then drove another 45 minutes home without incident.

Tomorrow, I'll take her out and get the battery/alternator tested and see what the results are.
If you have a digital volt meter, look for 13.8 - 14.2v with the motor running: if in that range, the alternator is OK. ( once the car is started, everything effectively runs from the alt - not battery storage; therefore, even if jump started, one can drive forever unless the battery has a dead short).
Anyway, that may help direct attention to either the alt. or battery.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:03 PM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

I'm leaning heavily toward the battery not being able to hold a charge - regardless of the charge supplied by the alt.

Quick Reply: Am I in trouble ?