joe, you are fk crazy.
good for you.
keep the pix coming.
love the color maritime blue.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:46 PM
SR71BLACKBIRD
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow!! Congrats and what a collection of Porsches you have - all the ones on the Pcar Drool list
Old 01-18-2007, 03:14 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jaholmes
What do you exactly mean by "pulled them out of the weeds." Are these in rough shape, or did he search high and low for them and found a few good cars in hiding. Why did you pass on the 993's.
Thomas is one of, lets say, four real experts in Europe who knows where to find these cars. He has a very extensive contact list with whom to call and where to find.

He's also a true Alfisti!
Old 01-18-2007, 04:31 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RS 197

The cars will be fully DOT and road legal.
Congrats on the new purchases! You have excellent taste.

As for the process of bringing them up to USA road legal status, I am really curious to see how that is going to pan out. 993RS has already been done so that should not pose a problem, but I'm skeptical about the 964RS. I guess where there's a will there's a way, and $$ too.

Best of luck and keep us posted on the progress.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:22 PM
RS 197
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update on the Import.

The Silver 993RS will be at Thomas's shop early next week. They both should be on the boat by the end of the week.

Here is the process: I have a RI that will EPA and DOT the car in Cal. Then it will ship my direction. It will take about 60 days to get the car in California and to DOT. The 964 RS needs an airbag. The RI is cool, he is letting me supply him the parts for the conversion. The used parts have to be shipped out of the country??? So I will have to deal with that. Hopefully Thomas will buy the parts from me. If I ever do this agian, I will ship the parts over and do the DOT myself before it leaves the country.

The collection is almost complete. I can't wait to get these cars home. I am way more excited about these cars than the GT3. I guess I am an air cooled guy at heart.

Thanks for all the kind words. No kids, this Porsche thing is my life and I am enjoying it to the fullest!!

Any one is welcome to come see me. I am in Salem OR.

These cars are really special. It is hard to explain until you drive them. The sound, LWT flyweel, no sound proofing, track set up, big breaks, lighter......Porsche puts and RS badge on them for a reason.

Brian, I will talk to you soon.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:22 PM
C2MED
Instructor

Hi Joe,
Very jealous and good luck with the cars. Thanks BTW for the info regarding the yellow 993 RS!
Will you guys stop buying up all the good RS's and taking them away from us!!! Leave us some!!

I'm curious too, what do you have to do to the poor car to make it road legal over there? Not bumperette for sure!!

Mick
Old 01-18-2007, 06:55 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by RS 197
The 964 RS needs an airbag.
Do you know of anyone that has gone through this process? Before I decided to RS my RSA I looked into the mechanical issues of legalizing an RS. The main problem I came across was that the actual dashboard/chassis sheet metal is different for cars with airbags. If you try to replace just the lower portion of the dashboard "knee protection strip" and add an airbag it won't work.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:21 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You'll loose a few pounds once you start driving the 964 HARD! It's like a huge go-cart.
The 993 RS will give you a crocodile grin. It surely is an amazing car and clearly my favorite of all air cooled cars. On twisty tracks, the 993RS can be quicker than the GT3.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:26 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

your adding the complete airbag system to the RS? wow that is going to require pulling almost everythign in the trunk out. (i just put mine back together) it's pretty involved, 2 days to assemble. what else do you have to change the air bag cars have a different knee protector, electric windows, and a host of other stuff (not to mention door panels - which list for over $600us ((just bought a set from porsche for my car and they are not stocked, so it is a 5-10 week lead time on them))

Jason is right above however the airbag triggers in the trunk are easily added (you can buy the brackets from porsche and retrofit or in my case rebuild) the trunk sheet metal will need to be repainted. the contorl unit is another question -
Also your RS DME will need reprogramming and will need to be rechipped (the US spec chips will work in it so that is realitivey pain free)
lot's of parts need to convert to airbags in a 964
Old 01-18-2007, 07:59 PM
kmatts
Racer

Joe,
I removed the lower knee protector from my 1995 that came stock with airbags. Is this a piece you need in order to install airbags? I believe it has a 964 part number.
If so, just contact me and we can work something out.
Cheers, Kyle.
ps. Years ago, my father who lived in Salem and drove a very well sorted blue Alfa GTV told me there was a serious Porsche collecter in town. He MUST've been speaking of you.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:33 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

The airbag issue is weird, I always thought that you couldn't add something that didn't come with it in the first place. There is one in Montreal and been here since 1993 with no airbag. Don't ask me how he got it legal but it is.

Nice collection and can't wait to see the 993 RS pictures.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:50 PM
RS 197
Pro

These are all great questions. My RI has done them before and is confident about the process. I will let him handle the details. He has told me there is no cutting involved. I asked him about the 92 Cars. He says they only need one airbag?? He is sending me a break down of the requirements. As far as the DME is concerned it passes emisions. That is all that is required. It is OBD I only. That wil not be a problem, the car has Cats and will pass. At least that is what I am told.

I will keep you posted when they are done and on the road.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:55 PM
RS 197
Pro

Originally Posted by kmatts
Joe,
I removed the lower knee protector from my 1995 that came stock with airbags. Is this a piece you need in order to install airbags? I believe it has a 964 part number.
If so, just contact me and we can work something out.
Cheers, Kyle.
ps. Years ago, my father who lived in Salem and drove a very well sorted blue Alfa GTV told me there was a serious Porsche collecter in town. He MUST've been speaking of you.
I don't know of any one else as Porsche crazy as me in Salem??? I have been collecting for about 3 years, but I allways have had a few running around.

The 993 has dual airbags, thank for the heads up. I will keep you posted if I need it on the 964.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:58 PM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love that color on the 964 RS. Great looking car and stable of rides you have Joe. Congratulations.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:00 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

i would be interested in the list of items that need to be changed for DOT compliance. We are planning a few years abroad when a few things fall into place. I am of course planning on buying a 964 RS while in europe and then importing it back to the states when we return. it would be better to have the install compeleted while there, or at least all non-compliant parts switched out when it hits these shores.

the RS DME and map will pass emissions, at least here in WA and OR (which has similar requirements)
thanks

Quick Reply: 993 RS and 964 RS on the way to the States