Sponsored by:

993 Speedometer & Rear Wing

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 10:17 AM
Neil The Wheel
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 Speedometer & Rear Wing

Well, just got my speedometer back (97 993) because the Odometer failed. Took it out myself and sent it to a shop. They replaced the gear and the Odometer works, but the rear wing does not automatically go up or down. Still works manually. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:18 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Only guessing, but since the automatic deployment of the rear wing is tied to speed, I'd look for a disconnected wire under the dash and in the engine compartment first. Then perhaps there's a fuse too.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:29 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

did you remove the clock to remove the speedo?
did you use a metalic object (screw driver) to unplug the electrical plugs-contacts of the clock and speedo?
does your spoiler light stay on while driving?
if so, please keep us posted and I will answer you accordingly
till then
Old 01-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Neil The Wheel
4th Gear

Default 993 Speedo & WIng

Thanks for the replys... Only removed Speedo, not clock. Did not use anything metalic to remove plug from the back of speedo. Figured it would not be a fuse if manual switch activated rear wing up and down but will look into it. Yes, Warning light comes on and "wing" red light stays on while driving. Spoke with the guys at the Speedo shop and they said to unplug the back and look for bent connector or that plug is in tight. Figured it was since the speedo and odometer work. Lucky for me I did not seat the Speedo all the way back in so I do not have to pry it ouut again.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Neil The Wheel
4th Gear

Default 993 speedo

Originally Posted by geolab
did you remove the clock to remove the speedo?
did you use a metalic object (screw driver) to unplug the electrical plugs-contacts of the clock and speedo?
does your spoiler light stay on while driving?
if so, please keep us posted and I will answer you accordingly
till then
Thanks for the replys... Only removed Speedo, not clock. Did not use anything metalic to remove plug from the back of speedo. Figured it would not be a fuse if manual switch activated rear wing up and down but will look into it. Yes, Warning light comes on and "wing" red light stays on while driving. Spoke with the guys at the Speedo shop and they said to unplug the back and look for bent connector or that plug is in tight. Figured it was since the speedo and odometer work. Lucky for me I did not seat the Speedo all the way back in so I do not have to pry it ouut again.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:19 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

do a search on clock repair,
check for DIY how to resolder the pins at the back of the clock and apply to the speedometer
these pins tend to disconnect from the back.
If that doesn't work,
do a search on satelite navigation install,
the diy shows where the speedo signal is received from, to check it out. check how to hook the GAL and you will locate the wire.
I know it goes through the climate control unit's back,

if you do not have experience in DIY's, you're gonna think I am crazy.
You ask a question about the speedo, and I answer clock-GPS-CCU, but they do corolate, believe me.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:56 AM
Neil The Wheel
4th Gear

Speedo and Wing Fixed!!! Thanks for all the advice. The guys at the Speedo Shop relaced the IC Chip and everything is fine. They said it was just a bad coincidence because it worked fine when I sent it to them. I was not looking forward to doing any of that DIY stuff, a little over my head. Still trying to figure out the engine light thing. I have been told there is a carbon build up that causes the MISFIRE code. Tried top down cleaner, K44 and complete tune up. I am not going to spend $6,000 to get the light to go off. Motor runs great so...

Quick Reply: 993 Speedometer & Rear Wing