Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing halfshaft flanges

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 02:53 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May be a silly question, but, if you change out the ring gear bearings, don't you need to readjust the whole diff ?
Old 01-14-2007, 02:59 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ppressle
May be a silly question, but, if you change out the ring gear bearings, don't you need to readjust the whole diff ?
No such thing as a silly question.

If one changes the carrier bearings, only the diff assembly need to be shimmed to position it correctly. Chances are it will be correct, but one needs to check it for proper bearing preload, then move shims around (from left to right) to set backlash.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:00 PM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by viperbob
Does that make sense?
Yes Bob thanks!
Old 01-14-2007, 03:03 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
but one needs to check it for proper bearing preload, then move shims around (from left to right) to set backlash.
Now your getting technical on me..
Old 01-15-2007, 10:14 AM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by viperbob
Keep going Paul...

So do you have your rebuild kit yet? I generally find for the 993 that they are stupid expensive ($750 - 950 dealer list, yes you can get them cheaper). You wind up with a new, 2 clutch LSD that will be worn again very quickly. For a shop doing it with the cost of labor (obviously you are doing a DIY), it is just a little more to do a new Porsche Motorsport or Guard LSD. If you just want a TBD (torque biasing diff ala Quaiffe type) then it is almost a wash. On my car I installed a Guard unit and sold my dead diff on eBay. Thought I might get $100 or so. It went for almost $900 and I even said that it was dead and needed to be rebuilt in the ad. Crazy...

Keep going...
Late last year I spoke to Paul Guard about what options I had. I decided to forego the Guard chromoly housing (even though it is the cat's pyjamas!) for the simplicity (read, I could DIM) of keeping my stock housing and replacing with Guard friction plates. Interestingly, Guard was thinking of doing a non-chromoly unit that would be somewhere in between the cost of a rebuild kit, and a full Guard chromoly LSD. With the lucrative sale of a stock unit needing rebuild it might be even cheaper than a rebuild... That said, it would definately require resetting all three shims, and that is something I do not want to try at home.

Paul mentioned to me that some of the stock housings allow rebuild with 2 friction plates per side, rather than 1 per side. I am hoping to be in that boat.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Toga
Excuse my ignorance, but even my Harraps dictionnary doesn't have it: what are the shims?

Great job Paul! Could you post pics from the LSD opened?

Cheers
Thanks Toga... as soon as my rebuild kit arrives I will borrow my friends digital camera again and post pics of the opened diff, and the rebuild parts, etc. It is neat to see the thing opened up after picturing the internal movement in my mind before starting the project.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:12 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Default Uncle!

After measuring the thicknesses of the friction plates, steels, etc on either side of the differential, Guard decided there was too much difference side to side and it would be better for me to send it there for rebuild. So, off it went this morning across the continient.

Inside I could see that one of the friction plates was worn smooth on one side. Also, I have quite thick spacer plates (4.50mm one side, 4.60mm on the other). Fingers crossed that Guard will be able to reduce this making room for two friction plates per side.

On a side note, Guard Transmission has been fantastic to deal with. They totally supported the DIY approach, but when things didn't measure exaxtly symmetrical side to side (the aforementioned spacer steels, for ex) they called and said I'd get better results if they had the housing, etc there to get the best stack-up they could. They even called back again to warn me to do a really good job packaging it, and that I should do what I could to avoid customs charges in each direction since the part is returning here.

I've attached some pics of part of my shipping solution, and of some of the internals, and a gratutious one of my new and old vises. First time with my friends camera, so some of the pics are not the best.
Attached Images         
Old 01-22-2007, 02:21 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice pics... Especially the vise.. Yeah Paul make sure it is done right...
Old 01-22-2007, 06:54 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul902
After measuring the thicknesses of the friction plates, steels, etc on either side of the differential, Guard decided there was too much difference side to side
Did you ever get the 964 workshop manuals?

Originally Posted by Paul902
I have quite thick spacer plates (4.50mm one side, 4.60mm on the other). Fingers crossed that Guard will be able to reduce this making room for two friction plates per side.
Porsche sells spacers ($5-10USD) as small as 1mm thick and as large as 5mm in increments of 0.1mm
Old 01-22-2007, 07:15 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Did you ever get the 964 workshop manuals?

Never got 'em, but have the thing right apart now, anyway. It would be great to have them though.

Porsche sells spacers ($5-10USD) as small as 1mm thick and as large as 5mm in increments of 0.1mm
Now THAT is good to know for my future conversations with GT. Thanks!
Old 01-22-2007, 11:29 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A bit belated, but thanks for the answer Chris.

Pete

Quick Reply: Removing halfshaft flanges