Sponsored by:

air vent rattles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 07:57 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default air vent rattles?

Does anyone have a problem with the dash air vents rattling? I tried "lubing" with silicone and it may have made it worse... Any ideas on what lube quiets all the plastic interfaces? I would try icewax but its deep inside the vent so I need an aerosol solution unless I remove the vents from the dash. Maybe a penetrating oil? Is it easy to take the vents out of the dash? Thanks and happy new year...

Last edited by tj90; 01-03-2007 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:50 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Tj-

Is your rattle at say, 50mph and above...like mine? It seems as though when enough air momentum gets forced into the hood vent I have a slight rattle of some sort in the dash...and goes away at speeds under around 50.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:56 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

I check on the speed - not sure. I do know that rattle tends to go away with the blower motor on 3 or 4. I also know that the rattle happens when I hit a bump or on a bad road...
Old 01-03-2007, 08:58 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like a diff. rattle than mine. Passenger side, and only at speed...sounds like a dead leaf being thrashed around in there.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:28 PM
SinVancouver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how hard is the dash to dismantle?
Old 01-04-2007, 11:32 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I tried removing the center vents from the dash but found it nearly impossible. I just couldn't figure it out, and was worried about breaking them. I fear it may be easier to just remove the dash top altogether. It's easy to do, but the only trick is that you have to remove the clock or tach (I recommend tach first since it's big and easier to grip...whatever you do, do NOT use anything to pry the gauges because you will scratch the rings and regret it) then remove the nut holding the dash top down right in the center.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:06 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the info. I think I found a solution. I tried spraying dry graphite film (DGF) aerosol from NAPA and worked it into the joints. It seems to temporarily quieted the plastic joints I dont know how this will hold up long term. The nice thing is that its a dry lube so it wont collect gunk like an oil. An its not so slick that your vents move on you while you are driving. I also sprayed DGF on the rubber hose that connects the passenger door to the body just in case the squeek was coming from there. I think I recall that hose causing squeeks as well.
If this does not hold up, Ill try the wet graphite film version. Like I said before, about a year ago I sprayed silicone in the center vents and I think the squeeks got worse, plus it took forever before the vents would stay in place - the silicone was so slick that the vents would just fall while driving.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:49 PM

I too noticed a plastic sounding rattle which seems to be emanating from somewhere behind the AC vents or center stack area and occurs when I hit a bump or accelerate causing something in there to move and rattle. I am normally excellent locating rattles and have already isolated a light one in the passenger door area but this one I cannot replicate by tapping the dash etc but only by driving which makes it much more difficult. Any updates on this rattle would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:46 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Still happy with the DGF fix. Its still holding up and have not noticed any more noise. If you decide to use it, be careful- its carbon black and impossible to get out of carpet etc.....

Quick Reply: air vent rattles?