Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPC Uni-chip and intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 01:05 PM
911C2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thei pic you attached is I beleive in Kingsport TN on Fort Henry Drive. Is that right?
Do you live in the Area. id love to see your car
Old 01-03-2007, 02:49 PM
MPB993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet ride,

I've been running 2.6" pulley now for 45k miles. No intercooler, a/w injection instead. Also swapped out stock injectors for ford motorsport red tops (233cc/min stock > 305cc/min). Had to adjust the afm a little as I didn't want to touch the stock chip. Load is slightly out as a result but I can tune that out with the split second R4 software. I do not believe unichip will allow individuals to self tune so I won't be making the upgrade. I have a wide band and knock system to monitor. Now tuned to 12:1 afr. Best improvement came from changing the injectors. I still have to inject a little extra fuel using the 7th injector but alot less than before which means my fuel distribution across the cylinders has greatly improved (AFR 0.75 difference across banks to 0.25 difference).

Hope this helps with any reliability questions you might have. Just got to make sure that it doesn't run weak in the summer.

BR, Mark.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:04 PM
onefstm
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good Eyes, 911C2. I was actually filling up in Kingsport on the way back from Maryland. My co-pilot was from Kingsport and now lives in Murfreesboro. Perhaps you knew him, Carter Thompson. I live in Franklin which is just south of Nashville.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:04 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_bock
Without an intercooler, I do get some detonation. TPC said they could tune that out with the Uni-chip on the dyno. I am also looking to have the bored throttle body done too. If TPC can fix the CEL light, that would be a plus!!!
Dentonation will destroy your rings in short order. You will want to do something about that asap.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:17 PM
onefstm
Rennlist Member

Mark,

How did you adjust the AFM to compenstate for the larger Ford injectors? Did you use the Greddy or Apex unit that you see on many imports? Running larger injectors seems like a much smarter solution to me than running a lot of fuel through the 7th injector. Also, I would imagine that the Ford injectors are pretty cheap.

I have a local shop that will fabricate a liquid/air intercooler for me for appox. $1,000 vs. the $3,500 that TPC wants for the kit. However, I would need TPC to reprogram my uni-chip to compensate for the change. After talking with them yesterday, I am not sure that they will reprogram my unit if I dont buy the kit from them.

I would really like to add an intercooler before summer since we can have 100+ degree days here in TN in the summer. It is just hard for me to stomach another $3,500 right now. On the flip side, It would be nice to have a bolt intercooler kit with the correct tuning from the start.

Af far as the supercharger goes, I could not be happier even with the large (4.5 lb) pulley. The extra power combined with a tuned suspension and rear wheel drive makes it tough for me to get out of the drivers seat. I cant' wait to see the difference with the 6lb pulley, cat bypass, and uni-chip.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:30 PM
911C2
Racer

I travel to Nashville monthly. Id still love to see you car.
I have a 95 bone stock even the much sought after SUV ride height

Old 01-03-2007, 04:14 PM
onefstm
Rennlist Member

911C2, you gave me a good laugh on your ride height comment.

Let me know next time you will be coming through town. I am sure that we can work something out as I have a very flexible work schedule.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Dick Beers
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

onefstm

I'm guessing that TPC isn't going to offer much help on reprograming your uni-chip if you haven't bought the intercooler from them.

From the info posted here, and the email you pm'd me, it doesn't seem that even adding the uni-chip to an all TPC install on an OBDII car is 100% solid ... at least with the CEL. By the way the codes my car throws are random misfires. If it is missing I certainly can't tell when I'm driving.

Last time we did a reset, I went a couple hundred miles and we thought we had it fixed, but alas.

For now the car is having it's annual slumber party while I look out the window at snow and slush. Such is the state of affairs in MN.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:48 PM
onefstm
Rennlist Member

Mark,

What do you mean by this statement "Just got to make sure that it doesn't run weak in the summer"
Old 01-04-2007, 08:21 AM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

onefstm,

After getting the CEL a number of times, it also was showing random misfires. But like you, I could never hear or feel it. Then I popped the bulb out.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:33 PM
MPB993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chaps,

it maybe my setup but on the wideband I found the afr increased with the increasing external temperature. The 7th injector has no temperature compensation so I would have thought that it would have got richer with increasing temperature but mine did the reverse on stock injectors.

I have made a simple change to the afm to reduce the afm voltage to the ecu by about 5%. The OBD1 ecu hasn't thrown any codes as it has to reduce the ltft by about 20% to get to lambda when I use the new injectors. Anymore of a simple reduction results in poor idle (load is thrown out a little as a result as well). Only had it like this for a couple of months so still making fueling and ignition adjustments in the splitsecond box to compensate. Sounds like a voltage clamp is needed for obd2. I may go a more expensive route if I start to throw any ltft codes. I also get better mileage but this is probably due to the load being miscalculated from the afm hence more advance is applied or it could just be the new injectors working better.

I haven't quite worked this bit out yet but even though the car adjusts ltft to get the larger injectors to lambda whilst cruzing the wot afr is richer on the larger injectors than stock. Which is how I have been able to reduce the 7th injector levels under wot.

Not sure if this makes any sense.

Cheers, Mark.

Last edited by MPB993; 01-04-2007 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:16 PM
onefstm
Rennlist Member

After talking with Tom at TPC Friday afternoon, I learned that the Uni-chip has a 32 bit processor vs. the 4 bit processor in the Split Second box. Also, the uni chip allows for fuel and timing adjustments every 50 rpm vs every 500 rpm on the Split Second Box.

My uni-chip was delayed a few days but sould be here Thursday. I hope to get it all installed this weekend.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Dick Beers
Three Wheelin'

Jeremy,

Look forward to hearing about how it turns out. Guess you have better weather in TN than us poor slobs up here in the frozen north land. (I'm a TN native son by the way)

Also just as a minor point, I keep referring to the Uni-chip as "Uni-T" (which is a tire technology) when it should be Uni-Q!

Last edited by Dick Beers; 01-09-2007 at 12:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-09-2007, 03:55 PM
S4-on-your-back-door
Pro

im thinking of going with TCP. I want to put lower compession turbo pistons in and use TCPs intercooler and FORD 30lb injectors. It doesnt seem like TCP would be interested in tuning for this so what should i buy from then that will allow me to retune after thier install because I will be changing the pully and upping boost to 8~10 psi?
Old 01-09-2007, 04:03 PM
Dick Beers
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by S4-on-your-back-door
im thinking of going with TCP. I want to put lower compession turbo pistons in and use TCPs intercooler and FORD 30lb injectors. It doesnt seem like TCP would be interested in tuning for this so what should i buy from then that will allow me to retune after thier install because I will be changing the pully and upping boost to 8~10 psi?
S4-on your back,

Your question is way over my grade level to attempt an answer. Perhaps there are others here who could be of some assistance...all would want to know what car this is going on.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: TPC Uni-chip and intercooler