Sponsored by:

Front Hood Shocks DIY (1/2 way)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 06:47 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front Hood Shocks DIY (1/2 way)

after reading all the great posts, I attempted to replace my 2 front hood shocks. I was able to pop out the drivers side shock easily with no tools, and replace it with the new one from sunset.

The passanger side proved tougher. I wasnt able to pop it out. When i look down there with a flashlight, I see a little gold PIN. The thickness of a paperclip. I have a feeling I have to remove this pin before poping out the strut.

Did anyone encounter this pin, and what did they do about it.

Also, do i need to keep the plastic sleeve over the strut on the passanger side?

Also, I lost the small device that secures thick pin that goes through the hood and the top of the strut. Does anyone have a spare or know where I can get one from?

I attached a photo of the new and old strut. The long one is the new one. U can see they are made differently. Also, if I look at the part number of the old one it starts with 964 instead of 993...hmmmmm

please help guys....I am determined to do this DIY. I need it for my morale.

TIA
Attached Images   
Old 12-29-2006, 07:04 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The gold pin you see is the locking device on the old style struts - it must be removed: look carefully at the brass cup on the old strut removed. There should be two small holes on one front edge parallel to the piston rod. A wire pin fits through these after the cup is pushed on over the ball stud to retain it in place. The top of this pin clips around the shaft to then lock it in place ... that is what you see.
Unclip the curved end with a long screwdriver, and use a stiff wire hook to pull it upwards. The strut can then be released .............. as the pin drops into the dark hole .....
Old 12-29-2006, 07:30 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

I will try to work on that PIN....in the mean time, where can I get the retaining clip for the top part?
Old 12-29-2006, 07:35 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

When I did mine a couple of weeks ago, I went ahead and ordered a couple extra of those top retaining clips. Fortunately, I didn't lose any during the process. Therefore, I probably have 2 of them remaining.

If you'd like I can send you one if you PM me your address.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:37 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 993C4Smontreal
I will try to work on that PIN....in the mean time, where can I get the retaining clip for the top part?
Don't know where to get a clip - but twist a wire loop into the pins groove with some pliers, and secure the ends to the bracket: you've just 'safety wired' the pin ... and it will work.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:47 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

I like this thread Lots of good samaritans
Old 12-29-2006, 08:42 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Garth, thank you from an authentic Nova Scotia (Antigonish) born Montrealer. I did it....successfull DIY. I did however lose the pin downthere somewhere, but hopefully the sound of the new RSR (arriving next week) will block out the tiny rattle from the 2 lost pins.......

Jeff, u r a savior. I will definately PM u for that PIN.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:04 PM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 993C4Smontreal
....I am determined to do this DIY. I need it for my morale.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:13 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It's in the mail.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:18 PM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is coming soon from Sunset as well... Can anyone show me the pics for that top retaining clips?? 993c4smontreal, Any other thoughts or advise on installing passenger side?
I'm a novice mechamic at best but I want to try this DIY too!
Old 12-29-2006, 09:29 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

A very timely post. Wife just got me 2 front hood shocks as well. I had her tiny arms and hands help me w/ the rear decklids ones. I will most definitely use her on this job as well.
I think I am also going to do my first DIY oil change. From what I read, I don't even have to jack up the car for the side filter and to drain oil. Need to put her up on jacks only to remove the smaller filter.
I want to put her up on stands for the winter and give her a thoro cleaning, and maybe do a muffler mod as well, but the weather has been very nice here in NJ. (haven't been taking advantage of it though).
Old 12-29-2006, 09:32 PM
Rudolph
Advanced

I recently replaced my hood and engine compartment shocks. I too encountered the locking "pin" on the old style shock. I removed the pin with a pair of locking curved hemostats. I also removed and replaced the "clips" using the same hemostats and I did not drop or lose anything. (Always handy to have hemostats around.)

Also, you will need to replace the plastic sleeve (see the p-car diy).
Old 12-29-2006, 09:56 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

The plastic sleeve needs to be installed onto the new hood shock as it helps secure it to the ball stud.

Both hood shocks just pry off, and push on -- no need to remove any clips for the lower ends of the hood shocks -- the uppers, there is a spring clip that retains the pivot pin. Like mentioned above, .025" safety wire will work until the proper clips is procured <---- aerospace term
Old 12-29-2006, 09:58 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Congrats for completing the DIY... I just had mine replaced yesterday.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:59 PM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CarmG993
....Wife just got me 2 front hood shocks as well. I had her tiny arms and hands help me w/ the rear.......I want to put her up on stands for the winter and give her a thoro cleaning, and maybe do a muffler mod as well, but the weather has been very nice here in NJ. (haven't been taking advantage of it though).

You're talking about the 993,.....right?

(couldn't resist)

Quick Reply: Front Hood Shocks DIY (1/2 way)