993 Forum 1995-1998

Cracked Fikse wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 11:34 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks, Jim! the outer halves seem to be pitted on mine. I believe my outer halves on SSR GT3 wheels are not clearcoated at all. Which probably means I'd have to at least take the wheels apart and separate outer lips to see if they can be polished to remove corrosion. If so, I'll at least clear coat them. But I think I'll need new outer halves for them.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:30 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

You might be able to remove the corrosion by wet sanding. It's a bit nerve racking but they shined up again nicely. Clear coat is a double edged sword to be sure. The corrosion was underneath the clear coat. Here's a few pics. You can see the corrosion in the first photo.

Making ready to remove clear coat. Note the corrosion.

Aircraft paint remover works in seconds.

Sand up from 400 to 2000 and polish
Old 01-16-2017, 10:49 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

I _hate_ sanding. That's one of the things that stopped me from doing the project for a while now. But, once the tires wear out, I'll probably have to. My wheel corrosion looks similar, but deeper than that in places.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:37 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Here we go again with another cracked Fikse wheel barrel. Bleeding the brakes before each track event also gives me the chance to inspect the wheels (and clean them). This barrel was just replaced a few years ago, so hopefully Fikse will step up with a new barrel.

I don’t blame Fikse. The roads here in Boston are bad, but the road construction is worse. They mill the street leaving a 3” razor sharp edge with no sign or warning. If you don’t see it coming, you’re bound to bend or crack a wheel. I’m guessing it was something like that. It’s always the rear wheel where most of the weight is.

There’s a Futura Trailer in my future...

Wheels off cleaning and spotted a crack

Time for another new barrel
Old 08-26-2019, 01:45 AM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had both rear inner barrels of my fikse fm10's crack and roughly the same time, one cracked a second time after repair by Fiske. That was 2 wheel sets ago. Never had cracked barrels like that on any other brand of wheels I've had on the 993 (oem, bbs, rays, champion).
Old 10-08-2021, 10:35 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Does Fikse require a receipt or other proof of purchase to exchange cracked rims halves? I’m the second owner of a set.

Also, what increments do the outer and inner halves come in?

Thanks
Old 10-10-2021, 01:14 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sm
Does Fikse require a receipt or other proof of purchase to exchange cracked rims halves? I’m the second owner of a set.

Also, what increments do the outer and inner halves come in?

Thanks
Highly doubtful that Fikse will exchange a cracked inner or outer barrel. The barrels aren't too spendy, but the labor will set you back a few hundred dollars as well.

The increments vary depending on wheel widths and offsets. Often 8''/2" rear, 7''/1" up front. Take it to a good wheel shop, they will know what's needed.

Quick Reply: Cracked Fikse wheel