Sponsored by:

Mounting Tires on a DIY Wheel Repair

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006 | 08:45 PM
tomcat
Burning Brakes

Default Mounting Tires on a DIY Wheel Repair

Hey guys,

I picked up some Cup IIs with some road rash. I've been searching through the 993 forum and would like to try to repair these wheels. But I am wondering if those that used putty/bondo on the lip had problems with the repair breaking away when a new tire is mounted on the wheel, i.e., will the rotating arm used to put the tire on the wheel knock off the repair? Anyone with problems/success mounting tires on a repaired wheel?
Old 12-13-2006 | 09:02 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

scary. I wouldn't go to the track (or probably even drive on the street) with a bondo'd wheel.
Old 12-13-2006 | 09:09 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tomcat
Hey guys,

I picked up some Cup IIs with some road rash. I've been searching through the 993 forum and would like to try to repair these wheels. But I am wondering if those that used putty/bondo on the lip had problems with the repair breaking away when a new tire is mounted on the wheel, i.e., will the rotating arm used to put the tire on the wheel knock off the repair? Anyone with problems/success mounting tires on a repaired wheel?
From the sound of it you are talking minor cosmetic work.
I have had success using a thick "crazy glue" (cyno-whateveritscalled) to fill minor rash/srcatches. It cures pretty dang hard and is sandable. No trouble having tires mounted.
No experience with body filler.
Old 12-13-2006 | 09:14 PM
tomcat
Burning Brakes

Thanks Mark. Your solution sounds good to me. The lip doesn't really need to be built up - just filled in.
Old 12-13-2006 | 09:53 PM
Bus
Racer

Originally Posted by tomcat
Thanks Mark. Your solution sounds good to me. The lip doesn't really need to be built up - just filled in.
John,
I've actually repaired dented fork tubes with metal filled epoxy, ie jb weld. It will sand and finish well... even looks pretty close to alum if not painted.
Michael
Old 12-13-2006 | 10:09 PM
c993k
Rennlist Member

John
Take them to a shop that does wheel repairs.
It's not that much money and they come out like new, balanced and shiny and most of all safe.
Chris
Old 12-13-2006 | 10:12 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Cosmetic use of bondo on curb rash is standard procedure in making the surface look smooth again. I refinished a set of cup2s myself a few years ago for light winter duty and they have perfomed flawlessly and still look new. Just make sure you give the paint plenty of time to cure, take the wheels to a place that has a proper mounting machine that doesn't actually touch the rim itself - and tell them you refinished the rim yourself - and you'll be fine.
Old 12-13-2006 | 10:55 PM
tomcat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by c993k
Take them to a shop that does wheel repairs.
It's not that much money and they come out like new, balanced and shiny and most of all safe.
I was looking for a bargain for wider wheels (throw aways) until I decided to spend some $$$ on new wheels. I actually came back from the tire shop today. I considered having the wheels repaired, but changed my mind.

The road rash is just surface problems (i.e., the lip doesn't have chucks missing from it). I figure, if it doesn't come out right, I can always send them to the shop.

Bus, the JB Weld sounds good too.

Quick Reply: Mounting Tires on a DIY Wheel Repair