Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going from 3.2 Carrera to 993

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006 | 04:36 PM
JM993
Banned

Originally Posted by pcar964
You shouldn't be relying on ABS, that's a nasty habit a lot of people develop driving newer cars on the track. That's the one thing I would happily remove from my 993 if it were easy to reverse.
Pull the ABS brain. Easy to reverse.
Old 12-13-2006 | 04:38 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

A natural progression. I sold a 88 cab for my 97 S. If you can keep the 89 do it, I regret selling mine as it was a great car that will not devalue. Skipping over the 964s is a good idea, despite what anyone says.
Old 12-13-2006 | 04:39 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jmarch
Pull the ABS brain. Easy to reverse.
Are there any ill-effects on the car if I did this for a track day? Long term problems? If not, consider it done
Old 12-13-2006 | 04:49 PM
JM993
Banned

Are there any ill-effects on the car if I did this for a track day? Long term problems? If not, consider it done
Full disclosure: I never tried this in a 911.

However, aside from a warning light, I've never experienced a problem when disconnecting the ABS in either of the BMWs I have owned. I'm doubtful this would cause a problem in our cars. I only (not likely) issue we could have is if the car is equipped with ABD. But even then, all I'd imagine you'd experience is a glowing warning light.
Old 12-13-2006 | 04:49 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have had both for the past 5 years - have had the 89 3.2 for almost 8 years. Others have made all the points about the differences - and that is really it - there are very specific differences. I truly enjoy driving both - but they totally different experiences - if I had to choose - the 993 is my daily driver and I would pick it. But if I could have only one - I would pick the 89 3.2 - the last of the "true" Porsche's in my opinion because it is the most "fun" to drive. The 993 is the easiest to drive for sure and a great car, but perhaps too civilized. So, keep the 3.2 and buy a 993!
Old 12-13-2006 | 04:54 PM
JM993
Banned

Oh, and I almost forgot, possible flat-spotted tires......
Old 12-13-2006 | 05:01 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Cool I ahev to disagree....

It is written above, "The downside is, you'll miss the direct feel of the steering and brakes/chassis you have in the 3.2"

I drove a 1985 Carrera at the track a while back. It was very well set up, with 225 tires on front 245s on the rear. This thing was bitch to steer compared to the 993...the 993 has power steering, sweet! No worries here!

Pull the ABS....never. I had it go off once at the track (It's a long story)...damn, that is not fun. I had tire smoke coming in through the air conditioning vents, really! Flat spotted the front tires. ABS is one of the major automotive technical break advances in the history of automotive engineering ..why anyone would want to turn it off....beats me. On the track, you can beat it...you can really feel it (assuming you have sticky tires), and the tires are bitting and the ABS is making everything nice and cozy. It is so much of an advantage that the Ruling Bodies made Porsche delete it from the 997 Cup Cars.

I had a SC for years and years. I don't miss those puny little brakes one bit. They ran the same size pads as a 3.2 Carrera.

If you want more steering feel (and noise), install PSS9s and monoballs on the 993...trust me, you'll get used to the 993 very quickly, and the 3.2 will become a fond, yet distant memory, IMHO, of course!
Old 12-13-2006 | 05:06 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Jackie Icyx didn't need ABS.

I see your point - but here's mine: going a few 10ths faster due to electronic intervention isn't really important to me, we're not racing for money. I'd rather be a few 10ths slower and do everything myself. We go to the track for the enjoyment we get from mastering the great art of driving. Electronic aides do not help you master the art of driving.
Once you start racing, you'll look for tenths of a second in every interactional movement with the car. More speed into the corner, quicker on the throttle, faster on the countersteer, less time spent in-between gears...they're all tenths of a second that add up in every braking zone, every corner every exit and every straight and equate to seconds faster or slower than your competitors.

I don't race for money, either, but part of the way you know that you've mastered the art of driving is in...lap times. Especially at a race, there's nowhere to hide, those numbers out there for everyone to see how slow or fast you are and how well you have driven, the requisite racer's excuses (old tires, dust in eyes, not enough sleep, too much Mexican food, too much sex, not enough sex, etc.) notwithstanding.
Old 12-13-2006 | 05:06 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Wait until you hit some bumpy pavement in a breaking zone and you end up locking up the tires or sliding into something hard. Don't come crying to us then... Really the ABS is fine in these cars and as long as you are not ham footed you shouldn't get into it. The only times I did get into the ABS were on a wet track or if I was in a bumpy braking zone. Also maybe a time or two trailbraking into a turn and the inside wheel would be light.
Old 12-13-2006 | 05:12 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Greg..................

I am ham footed, and get into the ABS on a small track where braking is very necessary...as we all know, you don't go fast by braking a lot....I don't like to get into the ABS because this tells me I have a lot of weight transfer to the front...I am getting out of balance...by by God if you need it, and when you need it, you be damn happy you have it....all IMHO, of course.
Old 12-13-2006 | 05:17 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Martin S.
I am ham footed, and get into the ABS on a small track where braking is very necessary...as we all know, you don't go fast by braking a lot....I don't like to get into the ABS because this tells me I have a lot of weight transfer to the front...I am getting out of balance...by by God if you need it, and when you need it, you be damn happy you have it....all IMHO, of course.
Martin,
What tires do you run on the track? If on Hoosiers, once warm, you shouldn't get into the ABS much. Maybe with street tires you would. My suggestion as far as technique is to get on the brakes gradually, not go from 0-100% all at once. This gives time for some weight to transfer to the front, the car to settle and increase grip before you go to 100% on the brakes. It is just a momentary pause on the way to 100% braking.
Old 12-13-2006 | 05:18 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Martin S.
It is written above, "The downside is, you'll miss the direct feel of the steering and brakes/chassis you have in the 3.2"

I drove a 1985 Carrera at the track a while back. It was very well set up, with 225 tires on front 245s on the rear. This thing was bitch to steer compared to the 993...the 993 has power steering, sweet! No worries here!

Pull the ABS....never. I had it go off once at the track (It's a long story)...damn, that is not fun. I had tire smoke coming in through the air conditioning vents, really! Flat spotted the front tires. ABS is one of the major automotive technical break advances in the history of automotive engineering ..why anyone would want to turn it off....beats me. On the track, you can beat it...you can really feel it (assuming you have sticky tires), and the tires are bitting and the ABS is making everything nice and cozy. It is so much of an advantage that the Ruling Bodies made Porsche delete it from the 997 Cup Cars.

I had a SC for years and years. I don't miss those puny little brakes one bit. They ran the same size pads as a 3.2 Carrera.

If you want more steering feel (and noise), install PSS9s and monoballs on the 993...trust me, you'll get used to the 993 very quickly, and the 3.2 will become a fond, yet distant memory, IMHO, of course!
I disagree strongly with everything you said. Just the same,
Old 12-13-2006 | 05:19 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jmarch
Full disclosure: I never tried this in a 911.

However, aside from a warning light, I've never experienced a problem when disconnecting the ABS in either of the BMWs I have owned. I'm doubtful this would cause a problem in our cars. I only (not likely) issue we could have is if the car is equipped with ABD. But even then, all I'd imagine you'd experience is a glowing warning light.
I do have ABD, as it came with the LSD (or, the sorry excuse for an LSD). I want to make sure I don't burn something out by disconnecting it, maybe one of the tech gurus could weigh in here? Not trying to hijack the thread, just adding a sidebar
Old 12-13-2006 | 05:22 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
Wait until you hit some bumpy pavement in a breaking zone and you end up locking up the tires or sliding into something hard. Don't come crying to us then... Really the ABS is fine in these cars and as long as you are not ham footed you shouldn't get into it. The only times I did get into the ABS were on a wet track or if I was in a bumpy braking zone. Also maybe a time or two trailbraking into a turn and the inside wheel would be light.
Give me a break! You guys act as if cars were impossible to drive before ABS came along. I had a 951 without ABS - I trail-braked into T1 and T17 at Sebring (talk about bumpy) and I seem to be alive and well...
Old 12-13-2006 | 05:29 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

pcar...have you ever raced before, as in a timed, competitive event with other cars on the track (not a parking lot)?

Quick Reply: Going from 3.2 Carrera to 993