Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Tranny Made in Japan, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006 | 05:47 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Does Ferrari use parts from outside Italy?
Old 12-07-2006 | 06:06 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tj90
Yes, they use German Bosch electronics in some systems and some of the Fiat-sourced Italian stuff can't be too hot. I bet there are other foreign sources too...
Old 12-07-2006 | 06:45 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

A/C's are Sanden, a global company based out of TX.
Old 12-07-2006 | 07:04 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

So what if the tranny's bell housing is made in Japan?
Old 12-07-2006 | 07:12 PM
Pete
Instructor

I recall reading an article in Excellence about the Cayenne and its very sophisticated transmission/tranny (in terms of traction control) when it first came out and the article said it was made (and I think designed too) by Aisin. Aisin is a long-time supplier to Toyota and may actually be partly owned by Toyota. My '76 FJ40 as did all Land Cruisers of that series (and maybe the newer ones too) has a carb, water pump, clutch and brake master cylinders, and probably transmission and transfer too, that are Aisin. Knowing what I know about Land Cruisers I would trust anything Aisin, including Porsche transmissions!

Originally Posted by GrantG
I think the gearbox on the 997GT3 (and maybe Turbo) is still a German Getrag. The rest are made by Aisin in Japan. I think the dry-sump motors are packaged with the German gearboxes...
Old 12-07-2006 | 07:15 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The electronics in the 993 CCU are from various sources, mostly Japanese (Toshiba). An article in Christophorus a while back showed the proud techs in Stuttgart assembling a Cayenne V8, and the heads were embossed "Made in France". As with most products now, Porsche cars are global, just as Nikon makes its cameras in Thailand, lenses in China, etc. That said, I think that Japanese-made products are among the best out there, and manufacturers choose them for that reason. Japanese labor is certainly no less expensive than guest workers in Europe.
Old 12-07-2006 | 07:16 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by doug751
Almost every carmaker in the world uses Asin transmissions.

Even old Porsche used parts from lower cost countries including East Germany (back in the day),
Czechoslovakia (before it split), Slovenia, Hungary etc.

Imported parts must be used. A Porsche cost $75,000 back in 1990, if you want to be able to pay less than $200,000 for one now, they need to use imported parts.

Bently uses VW parts, I bet they share some with Jetta's.
Exactly! Hell, Porsches even share parts with SUVs....oh wait....
Old 12-07-2006 | 07:29 PM
BrokenE
Instructor

Totally agree with you.

However, it stinks when car loses its "soul" - not really special, just a bunch of global sourced parts. Kind of like a bicycle - do you want the frame welded by some Italian guy in the back of a dusty shop or one produced by a robot in a asian factory? Its your choice, both are great. The robot built one will be cheaper, but does not have the soul and of course does not interest the aficionados....

I think the "soul" is in the sum of the parts, not where something is made. If you have good specs and good quality control AND THE SOUL is engineered in, then it doesn't make a difference where the parts or the car is made.
Old 12-07-2006 | 07:55 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Wink

Originally Posted by BrokenE
I think the "soul" is in the sum of the parts, not where something is made. If you have good specs and good quality control AND THE SOUL is engineered in, then it doesn't make a difference where the parts or the car is made.
Dont agree. I personally like thinking that a single guy in Germany assembled my entire motor in the Porsche facility. Its cool to think that some lady in Germany personally sewed the leather seats. I think it would be lost if it was done in some assembly line anywhere else. You could argue that perhaps the quality of the old methods are inferior & inefficient but it certainly makes the ownership of the car more pleasurable.

I guess the difference is that for you soul = great engineering for me soul = craftsmanship. Many of those collectible watches worth $$$ dont tell time as well as a quartz one from Walmart but it doesnt matter. The collectible ones truly demonstrate great craftsmanship and not intended for lowest cost, widest distribution - typically the goals of great engineering and process control.

I suspect that generally the higher the cost, the greater the exclusivity and the greater the craftsmanship. Porsche slid down the scale of old-world craftsmanship. Many do not care. If you drive a 993 air cooled, you care. If not you can buy a Lexus, STI, evo or whatever. Most of my collegues dont understand why I drive 10 YO porsche with ONLY 280 hp. I dont think most will understand.

As porsche said in the past - not a car for everybody, but for somebody.
Old 12-07-2006 | 08:52 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Dont agree. I personally like thinking that a single guy in Germany assembled my entire motor in the Porsche facility. Its cool to think that some lady in Germany personally sewed the leather seats. I think it would be lost if it was done in some assembly line anywhere else. You could argue that perhaps the quality of the old methods are inferior & inefficient but it certainly makes the ownership of the car more pleasurable.
I'm not sure anyone is debating the design/specs or the assembly. It is the components that are being "assembled" together to build a car in Germany that have been sourced from many other companies and many other countries for long before the 993 was even dreamed of.
Old 12-07-2006 | 08:59 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

So the blocks of a 996TT/GT3 are made in Spain. So what?
Old 12-07-2006 | 09:51 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by viperbob
Exactly!

And Toyota Tacomas are Built in Fremont, California. USA so what does that mean.

Porsche has always sub-contracted out for their parts since day one.

When I was looking for a car for the wife I wanted quailty and it wasn't Mercedez, BMW, or Audi. So I was stuck with Lexus, Acura and Infiniti........Lexus Won!
Old 12-07-2006 | 10:08 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by viperbob
Problem is I can't speak Spanish! Oh wait, I can't speak German either...
Old 12-07-2006 | 10:47 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bull
I'm not sure anyone is debating the design/specs or the assembly. It is the components that are being "assembled" together to build a car in Germany that have been sourced from many other companies and many other countries for long before the 993 was even dreamed of.
Bull please read the post I was responding to - My point was that I disagreed with the previous poster that "soul" was the sum of the assembled parts and the engineering that went into the design. I was trying to articulate (not very well) that even though the 993 has parts from eastern europe, krapistan or any other place, I appreciate the non-modern assembly approach that was last employed on the 993. I personally prefer one person building the entire motor rather than an operator responsible for tightening one bolt etc. I feel that this is what makes (among other things) the 993 a special car and gives it "soul". How much soul does a modern toyota - err I mean lexus have - well lets just say that you will never see it in a museum anytime soon. Even though the car probably demonstrates "best in class" engineering.

Look at Ferrari - you wont find a case study on them in MBA school - but theyve stayed true to form - racing - and theyve got tons of brand equity.
Old 12-07-2006 | 10:52 PM
tobyport
Instructor

Geez, sorry I brought it up...but really the only reason that I did it was to see how cynical some of the comments would get. I remember the late 70's when Buick buyers were losing it when they found out that their cars had Oldsmobile engines. How the world has changed! At any rate, I'm glad my 993 has a German engine AND a German transmission...and oh, by the way, my Subaru is bulletproof! (i.e., the most reliable AWD vehicle ever built) Should I start a new thread?

Quick Reply: 997 Tranny Made in Japan, what do you think?