Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Tranny Made in Japan, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 02:07 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by texas911
They stopped "hand making" Porsche with the 356. Porsche is just evolving, just as it always has.
Wrong as usual. My 993's engine was built, by hand, by one German guy. I know you college professors are easily confused, but try to stay with me here...
Old 12-09-2006, 04:14 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrienne
Somehow I've missed the point of this thread. Is this kinda like that engine tray thread? Are people surprised at the Japan build, or was this thread meant to discuss the quality of the tranny? Ferdi Uber Alles, but honestly, Japan build is neither inferior, nor news. Porsche is the most profitable car company, and part of the reason is because Ferdi turned Japanese about the time of the Boxster. Like it or not, its all part of living in this global economy.
+ one more....

japan did have alot to do w/ saving the brand/badge we so love to drive.

kanpai !!!!

... & here's to the soft kobe suede to come on later models! i won't complain.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:45 AM
texas911
Race Car

Wrong as usual. My 993's engine was built, by hand, by one German guy. I know you college professors are easily confused, but try to stay with me here...
Read this...
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=visit+factory

So are all current Porsches. I guess with that kind of "logic" I can say my 997 was hand made too!

Hater!
Old 12-09-2006, 11:20 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Oh Man...this thread is quite depressing ...a German car is suppose to have a German made tranny regardless of cost...I can cope with the "Globalization ghost" messing with AC compressor, wheels or stereo...but the Powertrain!!!! Give me a break...no excuses...I didn't know that and I got very surprised...
Old 12-09-2006, 11:29 AM
texas911
Race Car

Welcome the 21st Century. Where Mercedes are made in Alabama, BMW is South Carolina, GM in Canada and Ford in Mexico.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:09 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by tj90
Dont agree. I personally like thinking that a single guy in Germany assembled my entire motor in the Porsche facility. Its cool to think that some lady in Germany personally sewed the leather seats. I think it would be lost if it was done in some assembly line anywhere else. You could argue that perhaps the quality of the old methods are inferior & inefficient but it certainly makes the ownership of the car more pleasurable.

I guess the difference is that for you soul = great engineering for me soul = craftsmanship. Many of those collectible watches worth $$$ dont tell time as well as a quartz one from Walmart but it doesnt matter. The collectible ones truly demonstrate great craftsmanship and not intended for lowest cost, widest distribution - typically the goals of great engineering and process control.

I suspect that generally the higher the cost, the greater the exclusivity and the greater the craftsmanship. Porsche slid down the scale of old-world craftsmanship. Many do not care. If you drive a 993 air cooled, you care. If not you can buy a Lexus, STI, evo or whatever. Most of my collegues dont understand why I drive 10 YO porsche with ONLY 280 hp. I dont think most will understand.

As porsche said in the past - not a car for everybody, but for somebody.
I agree that soul plays a large part in the appeal of the 993, but it comes to a point where soul can only take you so far. A 89 911 may have a lot more soul than a 07 997, but by every measurable statistic, the 997 is just a superior vehicle.

To me, the car has to be equal in performance to competitors, and from there the extra soul can make the difference, but I won't stand for a worse performing vehicle, solely because it has soul. Same thing goes for watches.

As for Ferrari, they may have bran equity, but that doesn't make it a terribly profitable firm.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:10 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pedro356C
Oh Man...this thread is quite depressing ...a German car is suppose to have a German made tranny regardless of cost...I can cope with the "Globalization ghost" messing with AC compressor, wheels or stereo...but the Powertrain!!!! Give me a break...no excuses...I didn't know that and I got very surprised...
+1
nothing wrong with japanese cars (i've owned a few and liked them very much), but a porsche should be...german. if i wanted a japanese sports car, i'd get an s2000.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:24 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by slapshot
...Now just don't tell me Rolex (founded by Germans too BTW) use anything but Swiss gears and components or . . . it's on!
You'd be surprised how much of what goes into a "made in Switzerland" watch is actually made and/or assembled in China (my wife work for a watch ODM)
Old 12-10-2006, 10:38 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
To me, the car has to be equal in performance to competitors, and from there the extra soul can make the difference, but I won't stand for a worse performing vehicle, solely because it has soul. Same thing goes for watches.

As for Ferrari, they may have bran equity, but that doesn't make it a terribly profitable firm.
1) If that's true, then you must have quite an impressive Casio collection.

2) I don't buy a car based on the manufacturer's profitability.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:02 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by pcar964
1) If that's true, then you must have quite an impressive Casio collection.

2) I don't buy a car based on the manufacturer's profitability.
1. I have a citizen that I love. Not bargain basement, but not terribly expensive either. It runs off solar power (eco-Drive) and has been dead on ***** accurate for years. Can't say the same thing about my gf's $3,500 rolex.

2. Neither do I, but given that ferrari is an extremely low production manufacturer, they can afford to have less performance, but sell cars on image, soul, etc.

Imagine if toyota had terrible reliability, and tried to sell millions of cars because they have soul. Do you think soul matters to the average american buyer when they want a reliable commuter car.

Like I said, soul goes so far, but if Im sitting on the side of the road, and a valve just dropped onto a piston lunching my motor, I don't care if 16 robots, or one old guy named sven assembled it, Im gonna be pissed.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:15 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
1. I have a citizen that I love. Not bargain basement, but not terribly expensive either. It runs off solar power (eco-Drive) and has been dead on ***** accurate for years. Can't say the same thing about my gf's $3,500 rolex.

2. Neither do I, but given that ferrari is an extremely low production manufacturer, they can afford to have less performance, but sell cars on image, soul, etc.

Imagine if toyota had terrible reliability, and tried to sell millions of cars because they have soul. Do you think soul matters to the average american buyer when they want a reliable commuter car.

Like I said, soul goes so far, but if Im sitting on the side of the road, and a valve just dropped onto a piston lunching my motor, I don't care if 16 robots, or one old guy named sven assembled it, Im gonna be pissed.
Good points, all... But between a 993 and 996, which do you trust not to leave you by the side of the road
Old 12-10-2006, 12:51 PM
911C2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW this is a long tread on an interesting topic.

OK wasnt the 356 concept a slightly modified VW beetle. Id love to have on of those (the 356 that is)

When I get in my car and start driving it I get the soul. I dont know who made what and I dont care. They all get along and play well together.

I'm glad to know someone built my motor by hand, BUT what is a robot. Its a devide that has been programed to take the same steps and do the same thing over and over. We humans tend to cheange just a bit each time. So is it bad a robot welded it. Any one driven a Lexus lately. Wait how about a Toyota Yaris or a Mazda 3. Do you get a creaking sound when you go over the driveway sideway from the winshield. No but It happens everytime in my 993. (not complayinig).

Soul is someting we feel for the car. Did we all buy the car cause Hans and Fritz built it. Not me. I bought it cause I drove it and I could not hand the keys back to Diana my sales person.

I love my car, Built by hand or by a robot, id buy it again no matter where the parts were built.

I work for a japanese auto manufacturer. I am now on my 51st new demo. I have never been on the side of the road, I have probably had 10 warrnaty claims on about 450,000 miles.

I still LOVE my 993
Old 12-10-2006, 01:49 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by pcar964
Good points, all... But between a 993 and 996, which do you trust not to leave you by the side of the road

oh, im all about the 993.

Quick Reply: 997 Tranny Made in Japan, what do you think?