Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Tranny Made in Japan, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006 | 10:04 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993James993
...If Porsche chose a Japanese made transmission for the 997 I'm certain that quality and then price drove that choice. It would be interesting to know which Japanese company provides that component. In any event I would not hold this against the 997.
Other way around sir, they chose it first and foremost because of the price.
Old 12-07-2006 | 10:04 AM
Ronin993
AutoX

To Texas 911......you seem to be a smart person by owning a 993. but you show stupidity for saying that a japanese made part is inferior. explain to the forum why you think a porsche part made in japan is inferior......for your information, porsche went to japan to secure technology and know-how set up its production line........
Old 12-07-2006 | 10:05 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by pedsurg
Some tuffer than others. I don't think the dude was claiming a scoop however.

Jack
Not being certain, I asked.
Old 12-07-2006 | 11:00 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ronin993
To Texas 911......you seem to be a smart person by owning a 993. but you show stupidity for saying that a japanese made part is inferior. explain to the forum why you think a porsche part made in japan is inferior......for your information, porsche went to japan to secure technology and know-how set up its production line........
I believe he was being sarcastic, after all, he drives, and is a big fan of 997.

FYI, Porsche didn't go to Japan to get a better transmission, fact is it's inferior to the German tranny that Porsche still uses in it's GT/TT models. Same principle as with the better, dry-sump crankcase used in GT/TT models.

I'm sure even you can agree Porsche doesn't use inferior parts in their high end/more track oriented models?
Old 12-07-2006 | 11:10 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Cool

Boxsters put together in Finland from parts sourced all over the world...that is the way things are done in the 21 Century, I would not be surprised to see Porsche cars made in China. They already assemble sophisticated aircraft under license form the original mfgs. China's vision is to do their own aircraft from initial design to flight....Read the World is Flat book, or some such similar title.
Old 12-07-2006 | 11:14 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Porsche went to Japan for certain sub assemblies for one reason and one reason only -- cost!

That said, there is a quality to cost ratio that any company must set goals or standards for, which, I am sure, Porsche still does have despite the quality issues they faced with the 996.

I must say the Porsche did a great job improving such troubles in the later 996's and Boxsters!
Old 12-07-2006 | 11:36 AM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

As many have said: interesting, but not really a surprise.

Actually, I'd love it if Porsche could combine the soul of their cars with the overall quality/dependability of some of the Japanese marks like Toyota/Honda. Don't get me wrong, my Porsches have not been unreliable per se, but they have always had "little issues" compared to my Toyota family hauler (and nearly everyone else I know with Toyotas/Hondas) that has literally needed nothing but fuel and oil changes for 75K miles.

Until then, I'll still drive and enjoy the cars with soul!
Old 12-07-2006 | 12:00 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

I can't tell from the pic - is that a manual or tip?
Old 12-07-2006 | 12:24 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I thought it was general knowledge that Porsche did all this years ago. The ex-Toyota Execs, who were the intial consultants, came along in the early '90s, and impacted many of the processes used in the manufacture of our 993s....the design, component and sub-assembly sourcing changes took a bit longer and were seen in the 996s.

I suppose their are people who believe that most Japanese goods, from cars to cameras, are all built in Japan?
Old 12-07-2006 | 12:35 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Somehow I've missed the point of this thread. Is this kinda like that engine tray thread? Are people surprised at the Japan build, or was this thread meant to discuss the quality of the tranny? Ferdi Uber Alles, but honestly, Japan build is neither inferior, nor news. Porsche is the most profitable car company, and part of the reason is because Ferdi turned Japanese about the time of the Boxster. Like it or not, its all part of living in this global economy.
Old 12-07-2006 | 01:07 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Originally Posted by bull30
I thought this is the 993 forum Who cares what they put in a 997!!!

I agree, Who freakin' cares what's in a 997 ?, that is unless you happen own one as well as a 993.

This is more like we are pumping up our 993's by saying, "our stuff is made in Germany not Japan", ne ner, ne ner , ne ner

ZP44
Old 12-07-2006 | 01:11 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Adrienne
Porsche is the most profitable car company, and part of the reason is because Ferdi turned Japanese about the time of the Boxster. Like it or not, its all part of living in this global economy.
Totally agree with you.

However, it stinks when car loses its "soul" - not really special, just a bunch of global sourced parts. Kind of like a bicycle - do you want the frame welded by some Italian guy in the back of a dusty shop or one produced by a robot in a asian factory? Its your choice, both are great. The robot built one will be cheaper, but does not have the soul and of course does not interest the aficionados....
Old 12-07-2006 | 01:31 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by texas911
Wow, its made in Japan? I guess its inferior. Good thing you have a 100% made in Germany 911.

Is that what you wanted to hear?
All about globalization and there is nothing wrong with that. Some of us forget the Porsche has Turks assembling our cars. Nothing wrong with that providing it all meets Porsche's engineering standards.
Old 12-07-2006 | 04:36 PM
doug751
Racer

Almost every carmaker in the world uses Asin transmissions.

Even old Porsche used parts from lower cost countries including East Germany (back in the day),
Czechoslovakia (before it split), Slovenia, Hungary etc.

Imported parts must be used. A Porsche cost $75,000 back in 1990, if you want to be able to pay less than $200,000 for one now, they need to use imported parts.

Bently uses VW parts, I bet they share some with Jetta's.
Old 12-07-2006 | 05:18 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

I have a couple thousand miles on a new Lexus IS 350. About half the purchase price and maintenance per mile of a new 997. I would be ok with a new Porsche using made in Japan parts. doug751 is right about Eastern Europe sourcing- you can see it in your fuse/relay box.

Quick Reply: 997 Tranny Made in Japan, what do you think?