Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

distributor belt or fan belt light?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 02:12 PM
Terrance Seto
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default distributor belt or fan belt light?

Quick question. I fired my car up this morning expecting to drive it, but the car threw it's warning light, it's the one on the clock, bottom right that looks like a belt with 2 pulley's on it between 4 and 5 o'clock. Out of panic and being late to work (meeting), I shut the car off and drove the daily driver. So is this the fan pulley belt warning light or the distributor? Will need to know so I can make a trip to a shop to pick up whatever I need on the way home. Thanks!
Old 12-01-2006, 02:23 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

there is no warning light for a broken or lose distribuitor belt.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:25 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Open your engine decklid. If your belts are all where they should be, drive the car.

The fancy wheeled sensor occasionally goes bad, or shifts, causing the false warning.

Andreas
Old 12-01-2006, 02:40 PM
Terrance Seto
Instructor

Hmm, for some strange reason, I was always led to believe that the dizzy has a warning light. I guess I was wrong! I'll check the engine when I get home. Had to leave without checking since I was late for a meeting to begin with. (damn friday meetings)
Old 12-01-2006, 04:29 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The light you describe is for the fan belt. Could be a broken belt or could be a broken/misadjusted sensor. A quick look in the engine compartment will tell you.

When my dizzy belt broke the check engine light went on immediately (due to misfire) and the car ran like crap. You didn't need a warning light to tell you something was wrong, but it popped on as an additional reminder.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Terrance Seto
Instructor

whew! thought I had a disaster. thanks for the info. Too many projects this weekend to think about anyways.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:53 PM
hugoc2s
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Same light came on on my C2S this summer on the way to the 'ring. I am told that its just the fan belt tensioner sensor wheel thingy. After making sure all belts were in good condition and adequate tension, I had a look at it and gave it a cursory clean plus a highly skilled and technical wiggle between the thumb and forefinger of my right hand (as you do!). Then proceeded on to the Nurburgring then another 1800 miles through Europe with no further problems then or since. My theory is that the Supercups are shaking the crap out of any flimsy bits on my car!

Quick Reply: distributor belt or fan belt light?