Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Garage Floor Treatment - What Do You Suggest?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 05:50 AM
jw97C2S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. What type of prep is needed - same as epoxy?

Originally Posted by SpecialtyConcreteCoatings
It could be a DIY project since the application isn't too difficult. Generally, it's diluted colorants in pump sprayers; one colorant per sprayer. For a garage, it would be wise to have as many people spraying as there are colors. For a good application, the color needs to be even throughout and that may be difficult for a first timer. Another challenge is that the final result will look completely different than what it looks like right after you spray it down, after the colors bleed together and it's absorbed into the concrete. The most difficult part would be getting a good product. If there isn't much prep to your existing concrete, and you move all the crap out of your garage, it should be inexpensive to have a contractor do this for you.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:51 PM
fentonproductions
Instructor

Another example of a RaceDeck garage... We also install and provide garage makeover services
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2007, 05:25 PM
whatyoutalknaboutwillis
Instructor

I have the epoxy w/ flakes. I am very happy with the results. The shiny top coat has gotten dull but there is not a thing that can damage it. My girls peel out with their mini electric hummer all the time in there and I have moved lots of heavy metal cabinets around with little more than a fine scratch in the top coat. It can get a little slick with H2o. Definately not a DYI. It took the company 4 days from prep to finish. I have the whole floor coated as well ast the concrete footing for the wall which extends up 6" or so. I have had mine for over 4 years.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:27 PM
AnthemAVM
Racer

Anyone put a washer and dryer on top of Racedeck without a problem?
Old 01-24-2007, 09:12 PM
LT1
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Racedeck knockoff called "Bigfoot Tiles"... I recently did this job for $1.60 a sq ft delivered.
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2007, 09:33 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

I did an epoxy floor about 6 yrs ago. It needs a refresher coat. It has held up to a lot.
I cleaned the concrete, etched, and painted myself. It wasn't so bad. I wore a resparator, as the fumes were pretty intense even tho door was open. I am trying to find out 2 things before I give it a refresher coat.
1. I have 2 cracks I need to fill and have been looking into what to use.
2. What has to be done to the existing epoxy prior to new top coat(s).
Old 01-25-2007, 12:34 PM
SpecialtyConcreteCoatings
Banned

Originally Posted by jw97C2S
Thanks for the info. What type of prep is needed - same as epoxy?
It all depends on the condition of the concrete. It's best to stain new concrete, because of contaminants. For prep, all you really need to do is pressure wash, etch with acid, then neutralize. There's two kinds of stains: acid and acrylic. The biggest problem staining an older floor is the presence of oil. When the acrylic hits the oil it will bead away and leave you with fish eyes. The acid will penetrate the oil, but it often will push the oil to the surface. The oil can also effect the sealer's adhesion. So, if your concrete is relatively new it shouldn't be a lot of prep, but if you concrete is older you'll most likely be disappointed with the results of staining.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by whatyoutalknaboutwillis
It took the company 4 days from prep to finish.
We've never had a single issue with an expoxied garage, it's definitely the way to go. It does take a few days to put the system down, usually three. The first day you prep the floor, put the epoxy down, and blow on the flake. After 24hours, blow off the excess flake and put first coat of urethane. Wait another 24 hours, and put the final coat of urethane. It's one long day, then 2 more 3 hour days.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CarmG993
I did an epoxy floor about 6 yrs ago. It needs a refresher coat. It has held up to a lot.
I cleaned the concrete, etched, and painted myself. It wasn't so bad. I wore a resparator, as the fumes were pretty intense even tho door was open. I am trying to find out 2 things before I give it a refresher coat.
1. I have 2 cracks I need to fill and have been looking into what to use.
2. What has to be done to the existing epoxy prior to new top coat(s).
What epoxy system did you use?

Don't fill the cracks with cement, it will crack again in no time. You need to cut the cracks open with a grinder as deep as you can go. Then clean out the crack and fill with either an epoxy or polyurea. Mix in some sand with the epoxy or polyurea. The sand will add strength and also reduce the amount of material you need to buy, it should still be pourable after adding the sand. Polyurea is what I would recommend for crack repairs on an epoxied floor. It's a relatively new product, so it may be a challenge to find in small quantities. The two pros of the polyurea is that it retains some flexibility and has a pot life of 90 seconds.

If the cracks are large you need to cut control joints into the floor.

Where in NJ are you? We could do this for you.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by skicoach
I've had the garage floors in both my homes acid stained and sealed using a grit additive to the final seal coat...
You can add pumice or other additives to the sealer for antislip. People who argue these coatings are more slippery than normal wet concrete are naive. I've put epoxy systems down in country club pool areas.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:45 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1
Racedeck knockoff called "Bigfoot Tiles"... I recently did this job for $1.60 a sq ft delivered.
Are those the rubber or the plastic tiles?
Old 02-26-2007, 12:57 PM
LT1
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBonus
Are those the rubber or the plastic tiles?
Plastic. i don't think the rubber can take the weight of a car--more for workshop/exercise room floors etc
Old 02-26-2007, 01:13 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LT1
Plastic. i don't think the rubber can take the weight of a car--more for workshop/exercise room floors etc
How do you like it thus far? I'm getting ready to order it.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:39 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

slightly off topic, but if anyone ever gets down to South Florida, check out the Ferrari showroom floor at The Collection, it is all stainless steel. A crew comes in every night to polish it.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:29 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

I just ordered the Big Foot rubber floor tiles. I was told they are more durable than the plastic ones. They should be here in two weeks so I'll be sure to post pictures for everyone.

Quick Reply: Garage Floor Treatment - What Do You Suggest?