Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Garage Floor Treatment - What Do You Suggest?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 08:38 AM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 24FPS
fwiw:

after i had my garage drywalled & textured, i primed & painted all, then tiled my floors w/ armstrong flooring (see avatar). cheap (per tile) but has held up great & is easy to keep clean. cleaned & scrubbed concrete, then snapped a line & layed 'em down in a couple days w/ mastic. used the black rubber rounded floor edging/molding & black chaulk to finish. home depot had all the supplies.

fwiw: if i was to paint the floor, i'd use the stuff the airforce uses for it's hangars... avail onlline, just can't remember the source name. avail in white & greys, as well as blue etc... stuff is heat water res. & is non slip too.

here's one source (but not THE one i'm trying to remember) http://www.ironitecoatings.com/

just me... but i'd like to do the floor once & leave it. also, griot's makes a killer paint too.... http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=90017 suposed to be forklift friendly.

prep & etching is really important w/ painted floors. if prep sux, paint will lift.

bol
Looks real good, how does the tile do with oil, water, stains, jacks, etc.? I want! but salt hear in Ohio on my DD can really mess the floor.

Thaeddus - You've found my secret for rust-proofing the concrete!
Old 12-01-2006, 08:44 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ceramic tiles.

I have those and they are VERY easy to clean, not that expensive (you don't need to get the designer stuff...) look great and no problems with jacking the car, placing jackstand (no need for plywood) or whatever.
They'll last "forever" (definitely 10 times longer than paint) and even if you break a tile, easy to fix.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:51 AM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Ceramic tiles.

I have those and they are VERY easy to clean, not that expensive (you don't need to get the designer stuff...) look great and no problems with jacking the car, placing jackstand (no need for plywood) or whatever.
They'll last "forever" (definitely 10 times longer than paint) and even if you break a tile, easy to fix.
Pics please! This sounds like a good solution.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:58 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine (at about $2.20 sq/ft):

Old 12-01-2006, 08:59 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonh
Pics please! This sounds like a good solution.
I'll take some and post later.

Basically they're just regular, sort of beige color, tiles (I want to replace half of them with black tiles to do chequered pattern).

I'm very happy with them. I've spiller oil, brake fluid etc. and for example the oil you can just wipe with a whop rag without any cleaning stuff and it cleans out very well (of course it's good practice to clean with some kind of solvent every now and then). Won't happen with any plastic stuff.

You can get cheap tiles when you just need regular plain ones, maybe get leftover stuff fomr you local stone place, even with multiple colors you can get good looking pattern, just be creative.

Just for an example, quick Google results:Fastfloors has ceramic tiles for $1.5/sqft
Old 12-01-2006, 11:09 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Friends of ours opened a new veterinary clinic with all the trimmings a few years ago. I remember touring the facility shortly before all the work was complete. They had just finished getting the surgical area floors installed. The material used appeared to be an epoxy that is actually floated/tooled in place, leaving a very thick, seemingly indestructible, surface. It also had a granular look to it for traction, but seemed the best bet for a garage floor that I'd ever seen. This was not simply floor paint.

Andreas
Old 12-01-2006, 01:48 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

epoxy very nice
Attached Images  
Old 12-01-2006, 05:49 PM
Topcot
Rennlist Member

Default Garage Floor treatments

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
We just bought a new house... with his and hers separate oversized 2 car garages (yes!)

Has anyone done the newest treatments on the garage floors lately? We are way beyond Epoxy these days, right? If anyone has done this recently, I would love to know what you got and if you are happy with it. Also, would be great to know what this costs (?) PM is fine if preferred.
I've have two houses, one with a five car garage, other with a two car. Did both with a Rust-Oleum product from either Home Depot or Lowes. The floor at the five car was done almost six years ago and is still very nice except for where I later realized I put it on a little thin in trying to stretch out the paint. Even so it is just wearing and not peeling up. Easy prep, easy application. One house is in Denver area (5 car) subject to temps from subzero to over 100. Other house has had paint for two years and is on a dirt/gravel road and has held up great. I don't believe you have to spend huge amounts if you take your time and put it on right. The Rust Oleum product is about $110 for a two car garage; beige or gray and you can put flects on it to give it a nice look. Inexpensive and easy application.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:42 PM
WorldFresh
Track Day

I just put in the Swiss Trax tiles. My 7 year old daughter put down
more than half the floor in an hour. Plus you don't have to clean
the floor as well. we just swept and shop vac'd
Attached Images  
Old 12-01-2006, 07:27 PM
Pete
Instructor

Default I've seen this in Hemmings

I don't know anything about this except what I've seen in their ad, but do a Google search for U-Coat-It (this forum won't let me post the link)

I've used several POR-15 products on my FJ40 Land Cruiser and all are super-hard and top quality, but not cheap. I've never used it on concrete but POR says their gray is excellent for concrete. It runs around $30 a quart so it isn't cheap but the stuff dries hard as a rock and cannot be removed from anything once dry - including your skin - short of sand blasting or heavy duty sanding.

Pete
Old 12-01-2006, 07:55 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Jonh]Looks real good, how does the tile do with oil, water, stains, jacks, etc.? I want! but salt hear in Ohio on my DD can really mess the floor.

I don't know about salt, but I spilled a bunch of brake fluid (while bleeding the slave) on mine. It wiped right up w/o leaving a mark. I use small carpet squares to keep the jack stands from scratching the floor. Another plus is that water/oil or whatever won't get between the tiles like the plastic snap together tiles.
Attached Images  
Old 12-01-2006, 07:56 PM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

Swiss-Trax as well. Mine look identical to WorldFresh's. The customer service is top notch. I had a really slight issue with one tile and was immediately directed to the owner of the company who more than took care of the problem.

Would not hesitate to recommend them.

Plus their clearance deals are really good.

http://www.swisstrax.com/
Old 12-02-2006, 12:19 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

thanks for all the info...
Old 12-02-2006, 03:07 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Ceramic tiles.

john hearin' about that ohio & road salt i'd probably opt for finn's suggestion. there are some ceramic textured (hybrid) tiles on the market designed for auto applications. plus you can simply rinse down & squeegee. looks very high-end too.

that's the ticket.

think i'll do that w/ my next garage.

fwiw: since weather is mild in l.a. i just dry mop once a week... wet mop occasionally & have it polished once a year by a pro. pretty happy w/ it. also replacing tiles will not be a prob.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:06 AM
Freddy
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Ceramic tiles are my favorite
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Garage Floor Treatment - What Do You Suggest?