Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WARNING! "Clean", blue, '97 993 in Pennington, NJ could not be further from the truth

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 10:57 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jon,
So that car isn't worth 20K if it was in the originally stated condition (minus a few usual minor thiings every car has)? A 1997 Porsche 993 with 128K on the clock, in good, immediate usage daily driver shape.........for 20 grand.........He could have my 20. Now is it worth 20 and then another 5?.......That depends on it's internals condition, but that would be absolute top IMO.
I paid 27 for my 4S a couple years ago with shot breaks and tires, leaked like a siv from the VC's and had a sandblasted front end. Everyone flipped their wig when I questioned whether I had done the right thing, I got offers to buy it for what I paid if I decided I didn't want it. Luckily it has been a tremendously fun car, with no problems. I spent under 2k to make it right, did my own work......bonded with my new toy and turn a sightly "rode hard" car into one that gets kudos everywhere I go........and its got 107k on the clock (had 93 when I bought it).
This car that Mark looked at sounds as if it's been ridden a but harder, but depending on what work has to be done vs. needs to be, could make it a great buy (at the right $$$)
Old 11-29-2006, 11:06 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mark, thanks for doing what I thought about doing after the past two day's discussions with a couple of people who looked at this car. You did many a service. You pointed out one simple fact...the car is being misrepresented in a big way by the seller! Anyone who wants to deflect the discussion from that simple point to one of "how much do you pay for brake pads, etc." to belittle your post is suspect themselves as far as I'm concerned.

I have no doubt who "Mr. $19k bid on eBay" is. Don't cry if you miss this car....it will show up for sale again.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:49 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by jimwood
Mark since you obviously didn't get enough attention from Dad:

Thank you for saving people from thinking a used car sales man is honest.
Really? Wow? Tell the story again.

Why not do something constructive like putting big ricer stickers on your car, oh wait that task is already taken care of. Just calling it like I see it.
Some targets are all too easy...

Rather than address the issues in question, you'd rather make lame attempts to insult. Very intelligent.

I must apologize to the board for feeding the trolls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Good night all.

<edit>Too late, Jim; your words have been archived!
Old 11-29-2006, 11:49 PM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

Oh boy.... LOL

Edit: That's fine I stand by them.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:51 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Bruce,
I may be way off base, but every low-mileage, unmolested 993 that I've looked at, has been this way. The underside of the hood is body-colored, but not glossy, and has the cheapy-looking paper option sticker near the latching mechanism.

This car had a glossy hood, no sticker (or evidence of prior adhesive) and a gnat or two stuck in the paint.....

Andreas
I think that is only true for the colors that are not clearcoated. The Guards Red is not clearcoated, correct? The underside of my Guard's Red hood is glossy, has the stickers, and the gnats are not imbedded in the paint.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:13 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Hmm. If someone can give the end-all answer to this, I'd be interested to hear if there were indeed differences in factory (under hood) finishes.

Since this thread has veered a few hundred miles of course, I wanted to add that I saw fistfuls of old leaves packed over the right-side upper valve cover. Not a stray leaf, but a bunch. This became visible when I pulled the air cleaner cover off.

Regardless of how people place value on a car such as this, the fact remains that it was grossly misrepresented and showed neglect and abuse everywhere I looked.

Enough said.

Andreas
Old 11-30-2006, 12:17 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Hmm. If someone can give the end-all answer to this, I'd be interested to hear if there were indeed differences in factory (under hood) finishes.

Andreas
I am only guessing; I am certainly no expert on the finer points of 993's. However, I am certain my car has its original paint and original hood, has no clear coat, and has a glossy under-hood. Perhaps one should not generalize, but... there's one car that legitimately has no matte finish, at least.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:53 AM
DaveM993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my perspective an offer of $15K makes perfect sense. But...given that many/most 993s are in much better condition and are taken care of...this one is slightly unique in its deteriorated/risky condition...which makes if PERFECT for the uninformed market....so the stealer can afford to sit and wait for someone to come along and look agog at a 993 for $20 grand and go wow!...more power to him

The stealer has appeared to make the judgement that it is not worth fixing for sale as he cannot recoup the investment (even at cost)....but then I may be giving him too much credit.

If anyone thinks that the purchase, as described in the listing, is going to result in a satisfied customer is smoking whatever was referred to somewhere in this thread...but then I may be giving the potential customer too much credit.

Oh hell...I still feel for the car...as someone said, gonna go hug mine!

Caveat emptor
Old 11-30-2006, 01:43 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

A new term is born: RennFax.

As in, "Can someone in the Chippewa Falls area do a RennFax for me?"

I love it.

Andreas
Home to one of the better old breweries in America. (second oldest in the country I believe after Yeunglings)

I love RennFax, too
Old 11-30-2006, 02:05 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

And some props to Mark

who was trying to give a heads-up to other Rennlisters.

Having been around Rennlist and the 993 board a good long time prior to everyone's earliest listed join date, I've found Mark to be one of the most knowledgable, helpful, considerate, respectful and funny people on this site.

Mark, it sure sounds like a case of Racer-envy to me.

Like all woodies, when ignored, they go away.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:21 AM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
And some props to Mark who was trying to give a heads-up to other Rennlisters.

I've found Mark to be one of the most knowledgable, helpful, considerate, respectful and funny people on this site.
x2
Old 11-30-2006, 02:28 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Mike,
you sure? it seems this place is to PC.....Of course Mark is right........but many think he is wrong for stating some facts. I do wonder what would have happened if a RL bought this car?.......and then spent how many of x thousands of dollars.........???
Mark..........your car is too ricer,and way to low................LOL...not thats a bad thing, or my old car was that low 2.........god what a place we live in.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:18 AM
diet97993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the dialog! Just like FOX News....listen to the opinions...We report....You decide!
Old 11-30-2006, 08:00 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Regardless of how people place value on a car such as this, the fact remains that it was grossly misrepresented and showed neglect and abuse everywhere I looked.

Enough said.

Andreas
Exactly, and........wasn't that how any why this post started? Good job you two
Old 11-30-2006, 09:50 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Thanks, guys. I'm glad my often lame attempts at humor, helpfulness and knowledge have not gone unnoticed.

Quick Reply: WARNING! "Clean", blue, '97 993 in Pennington, NJ could not be further from the truth