Sponsored by:

993 TPC supercharger install

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 02:01 PM
Saubleboy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 TPC supercharger install

I am going to install a TPC supercharger kit on my 95 993 C2 cab this weekend. Does anybody have any helpful hints over and above the wonderful install direction on the TPC web site.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:08 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No advice...but isn't this more than a weekend thing? Good luck and don't forget to take plenty of pictures and share with us.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:19 PM
Saubleboy
Track Day

I will take plenty of pictures to post. Hopefully the pictures will help the next guy.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:06 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

like me...congrats.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:16 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,392 Likes on 808 Posts

Having tons of supercharger experience with my mustang, the most crucial things are that the bypass (if it has one) is adjusted correctly, and that the belt alignment is good.

Im used to centrifugal blowers though, so the roots type on a porsche may be easier to manage in terms of those aforementioned items.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:10 PM
Saubleboy
Track Day

Have you or are you going to install??
Old 11-22-2006, 06:43 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

No personal experience, but you might want to do a search on this forum. Lots of previous discussion on the subject, not all of it positive.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:39 PM
Steve Nagata
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, Save up and invest in an intercooler. Scrap that black Split Second box and replace it with the new Unichip system they have.

Belt alignment is crucial and clean each part before you install it.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:02 AM
Saubleboy
Track Day

Thanks!!! They sent the Uni-Q is that what you are talking about? Also any tips on the belt situation? I am running 94 octane in Canada still think I need the intercooler??
Old 11-23-2006, 02:09 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Saubleboy
Thanks!!! They sent the Uni-Q is that what you are talking about? Also any tips on the belt situation? I am running 94 octane in Canada still think I need the intercooler??
I would not add a SC to a 993 engine unless you know exactly what you are doing. Since you are pushing the engine the tuning has to be bang on. Are you getting any help from someone who has done it before? Any of the local shops in Vancouver helping (i.e. Weissach, Scan?).

I have rebuilt a 993 engine so I know how these engines go together and I would not SC a stock engine mostly because I believe there are internal changes you should make to complement all the extra pressure and power you are going to put through the engine. Its all a matter to longevity..

Anyways that just an opinion anyways so best of luck and keep us posted on your progress..

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-23-2006, 05:33 AM
MPB993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saubleboy,

I've had mine on for about 5 years now, 45k miles. I had the compression lowered to 9.5 and added w/a injection in lieu of an intercooler. But I'm running a 2.6" pulley instead of the standard 3" on the sc.

I found the hardest part was getting the tuning right, which I believe has been solved by the unichip and getting the throttle cable attached correctly.

I have access to the old splitsec software and had to tune it for the changes that I made to standard. The devil is in the detail with this kit.

I watch knock and wb afr to ensure it is all running within spec.

From my experience the kit runs rich to cope with environental variations through the year and the variations in 7th injector fuel distribution across the tpc manifold.

It is worth getting it dyno'd for the afr, if you don't have a wb afr meter after the install.

With the standard 11.3 compression watch out for knock.

BR, Mark.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:45 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by MPB993
Saubleboy,

I've had mine on for about 5 years now, 45k miles. I had the compression lowered to 9.5 and added w/a injection in lieu of an intercooler. But I'm running a 2.6" pulley instead of the standard 3" on the sc.
This is what I was talking about...I guess you changed out the pistons to get the lower compression? Did you change anything else (mind you changing the pistons is a lot of $$ to begin with).

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-23-2006, 07:57 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

some folks like to add thicker headgaskets, which is a terrible way to go (kills the quench and makes it more likely to detonate).

With maybe 5 psi, 11.3 compression is not terribly bad, but at the same time, id want to run some Torco to bring up octane to at least 96 or 97.

Make sure your timing and a/f are spot on. Also, Id get an intercooler. You are running a hotter air cooled motor already, and eaton blowers generate a TON of heat.

Fwiw, at 14 psi with a Paxton novi 2000, I saw intake temps damn near 275 degrees.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:35 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

There is alot that the instructions neglect to mention or address. I had a shop do my install where they made several nice brackets to hold the throtle, and air pump? instead of ty-wraps, etc... One thing was a shim for the belt tensioner.... they did not include it, nor mention it (a 1/16" front end alignment shim) that is used to tilt the tensioner back towards the engine. Under tension, the belt is tilted away from the engine and is aligned with the pulleys. I think TPC said they did away with the blow off valve??? The new computer is suppose to be way better (Bluetooth to a laptop computer in real time). Did they include software so you can do your own tuning? I had TPC do the final Dyno and fine tuning.

Best of Luck to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
George B.
The results are worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-23-2006, 02:03 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

I would never get rid of the bypass valve.

Quick Reply: 993 TPC supercharger install