Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 10:09 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Boris Teksler
collin = 9M . we are talking about the same thing

does anyone know if a $10k turbo conversion is possible?

cheers,
boris
The conversions that I am familiar with are all $20k plus. Paul at ProtoSport in NJ put on a Tech session for our Region last year and did a good job covering the differences between doing a cheap Turbo add-on to an NA motor vs. a proper conversion with key parts strengthened/upgraded to take the 400+hp. There may be found the difference in some widely varying numbers being quoted.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:25 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

So a quality TT conversion should cost what $25k +/-?
Old 11-24-2006, 02:00 PM
Brett B
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have some fabrication abilities you can also do a custom single turbo setup like mine:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...0&page=1&pp=15

I couldn't be happier with how it came out, the car runs like a champ. In fact the weather is nice here today, I'm going to go take it for a spin right now.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:35 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

You can certainly get a TT conversion from the protos for $15k provided you don't want to race on the track with it. You will be fine for DEs or good fun track events.

Protosport in NJ is a distributor and uses the software programming and some other hardware from Protomotive. Good news is that this keeps the factory Motronic ECU, unlike 99% of other similar upgrades.

Protomotive moved to Arkansas, but you can ship your car there I guess, I shipped my engine from the ME to the US to get the stage 4 build done! One recommendation is to always send the full car to your builder, not the engine, nor buy the parts and put them in yourself, the road test and calibration is as important or more, than the dyno calibration the kit was developped on.

The reason you will go beyond what is advertised is because one usually wants to add an IC and a second oil cooler for instance. It is about choices for sure. For those levels of HP you do not need to upgrade you internals, you will be seeing about 400HP or so. The turbo conversion will be as fast or more than the stock TT. The N/A heads and intake manifold are more efficient than the TT, the N/A will have twin plug too, which is a very good advantage.

You just need to remember you don't have a $50k upgrade in there and you will be fine for many thousand miles (i.e. don't go wild on boost). These "turbo'd" engines are so torquey that you end up running very conservative boost 95% of the time. on a N/a conversion, that would be about 0.3 bar of boost or so.

If you find a full TT engine with harness for $20k I would go for it immediately though, nothing like what the factory provides as far as reliability and resale value (you can sell your stock engine and the delta will be most likely less than the TT conversion) . Don't expect to beat one of those Proto TT conversions though with a stock 993TT.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:54 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Could not find anything on Google (looking for a website) for either Protomotive or Protosport- are they the same or affiliated?
Old 11-24-2006, 05:02 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter
Could not find anything on Google (looking for a website) for either Protomotive or Protosport- are they the same or affiliated?
It's in forrt-lauderdale..think it's a yahoo website..keep searching ..it's there.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:04 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter
http://www.geocities.com/protomotive/pricing.htm
Old 11-24-2006, 05:07 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
It's in forrt-lauderdale..think it's a yahoo website..keep searching ..it's there.
That would be Prototech in Florida.

The Protomotive website has last been updated probably a few years ago, if you are interested, I would drop an email to Todd Knighton (see website contact page) to discuss options and pricing, since they will have greatly changed since.
Jean
Old 11-24-2006, 06:42 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Brett B
If you have some fabrication abilities you can also do a custom single turbo setup like mine:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...0&page=1&pp=15

I couldn't be happier with how it came out, the car runs like a champ. In fact the weather is nice here today, I'm going to go take it for a spin right now.
Brett,

Have not seen that tread before. Nice job!!
Old 02-19-2007, 12:07 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Here's a cab, now on cars.com

http://medicimotorsports.com/Porsche...Cabriolet.html

I might be the minority here, and CF is cool and all, but paint the MF decklid, dood! Way too ricey for a $70K car!

Something fishy about these Medici folks that I can't put a finger on: redneck, salvage, frankenstein, hmmm...
Old 02-19-2007, 07:17 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

I ran a DE in New Hampshire with a fellow from Cape Cod that did the whole TT engine swap, wide body conversion on a Triple Black Cab. He bought the MY95 Cab new and had the TT swap done by EPE in Natick MA. I don't recall who did the body work. The car was gorgeous and super fast.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:32 PM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by dcdude68
Here's a cab, now on cars.com

http://medicimotorsports.com/Porsche...Cabriolet.html

I might be the minority here, and CF is cool and all, but paint the MF decklid, dood! Way too ricey for a $70K car!

Something fishy about these Medici folks that I can't put a finger on: redneck, salvage, frankenstein, hmmm...
Nice looking car ... friggin' HAWT wheels ... but someone forgot to paint the rear spoiler.

Those tire sizes seem pretty BIG to me ... unless this car has a WB conversion???

Scott
Old 02-20-2007, 08:51 AM
por29
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Photo

Here is the latest. A twin turbo conversion. Bumper will be installed after insulation material.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:53 AM
por29
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Trying to upload the pphoto

Quick Reply: NA C2S Twin Turbo Conversion