Sponsored by:

Good Info About Broken Wheel Lock Key

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 06:57 PM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Good Info About Broken Wheel Lock Key

Most of the 993's using Turbo wheels and others come with the McGard Wheel Locks.
You also should have a card in your paperwork so you know what lock you have.
As I was finishing my oil change and putting the wheel back on, the wheel lock key just split apart.
Up to that point things where absolutely perfect. Not a single drop of oil hit the ground and both filters where easy as can be.
I went to the dealer and had the wheel lock key matched and ordered another one.
Cost was quoted as $45.00 and it dropped to $38 with PCA.
After waiting 13 days I gave them a call to see if they got it in yet.
They said no and it takes some time. I don't want to drive my car and get stuck
somewhere with a flat so I called McGard in NY.
They said that they would replace the lock for free. So I ordered another one.
I bet that this is the only free part on a 993!
After seeing how the other snapped I think keeping two with me is a good idea.
Keep in mind I have a Florida only car and the wheel nuts are like new with which means
I really don't have to break them loose with a torque wrench like others in the north do.
Anyway keeping two is a good idea, tape one on the spare relay and the other in the trunk. Chris

Last edited by c993k; 11-15-2006 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:03 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad it worked out, Chris.

That being said, after I struggled with a broken locking nut, I decided to replace all of them with regular lug nuts. My wheels are stock and quite frankly no one nowadays could give a rats you-know-what about my wheels--they aren't chrome, they don't spin, and the diameter doesn't start with a 2.

It sure makes my life a lot easier. And if someone wants to steal them, they will have to get a jack that can get under my lowered car.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:16 PM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by InTheAir
I decided to replace all of them with regular lug nuts.
It sure makes my life a lot easier. And if someone wants to steal them, they will have to get a jack that can get under my lowered car.
You know, I feel the same way, I may just toss this problem and go to regular lugs. Chris
Old 11-15-2006, 09:21 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the input. Did McGard require any tumbler security number ? Or does one key fit all ?
Old 11-15-2006, 11:14 PM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mo
Thanks for the input. Did McGard require any tumbler security number ? Or does one key fit all ?
They are numbered 1-40 and can be mached at any dealership.
Chris
Old 11-16-2006, 12:09 AM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bough my car the PO had lost the key. My local dealer charged me $10 for a new one. It wasn't free, but I figured that it was a pretty reasonable price.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:36 AM
JMR
Instructor

And if you really get stuck, just pound a socket over the lug with a mini-sledge until it bites enough to get it off. The process sounds alot worse than it is. The ease of removing these things without the key is another good reason to abandon them altogether.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:44 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JMR
And if you really get stuck, just pound a socket over the lug with a mini-sledge until it bites enough to get it off. The process sounds alot worse than it is. The ease of removing these things without the key is another good reason to abandon them altogether.
Locks are only to keep honest people honest.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:24 AM
TCallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a master wheel lock key (socket) set that any GOOD Porsche repair shop should have. You can compare yours to the set and find the correlating number to find out which one you have. I feel this and many other problems stem from people over tightening their lug nuts. Make sure they are clean of dirt, lube them with a high quality copper anti seize i.e. copa-slip and torque them to 95 foot lbs. I personally have torqued all my Porsche (street car only) Alu lug nuts at 75 foot lbs for many years but I am advising a safe 95 foot lbs to you all just in case. When you torque your wheels, you will eliminate this and other problems.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:24 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been wanting to do this, if someone send me 4 black aluminum lug nuts I'll send you back my lock set (the nuts were silver but painted black). I'd lost the key (left it on the wheel) and had to order a new one from McGard and don't want to go through the trouble again.

Quick Reply: Good Info About Broken Wheel Lock Key