Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifters.....Porsche or After Market

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 09:32 AM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, it was the lifters sold from the link above that gave me loads of problems. (Ask Steve).

I won't be messing with mine again.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:44 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Leland,
If you are referring to my link, I saw the old and the new parts, side by side. They are identical.
Neil's lifters are smooth and quiet now, no issues.

Andreas
Old 11-13-2006, 09:48 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Price has gone up:

INA lifters

Andreas

Guess who just copied your link??

"is this a great place or what?"
Old 11-13-2006, 07:32 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW, I got my lifters from Jerry in Andreas's link. They all have "INA" stamped on them, but seven of them came in individual baggies with "LUK" printed on them and the other five came in a package marked "Ruville".
Old 11-14-2006, 12:41 AM
STAR57
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lifters.....The saga continues?

The Ruville are the ones that he used on my car, he gets them from SSF a major wholesaler in San Francisco, I dont know how he can justify the 9 hours, but I will ask.

I will pick up the car tomorrow, any special care ???? I know, drive it like you stole it.

I will post how the car feels
Old 11-14-2006, 01:32 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dunno. Replacing all 12 lifters with the engine in the car looks like no joy at all. Nine hours might not be unreasonable. I will be doing it with the engine out.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:17 AM
STAR57
Racer

I got the car back...it runs fine, I was not only upset about the extra 3 hours but also about him changing the oil and filter without me asking and the exaust seals and gaskets, we spoke 5 times between the time I took the car in and the time I pick it up, plus I went in on two occasions.

In my view he should have told me about the additional expense or ask for an OK, I had just changed the oil.

I expected a bill of about CAD$1400.00 and it was $2300.00, at the end after I gave him a speech he told me " maybe we are not compatible" I guess not!

What would you guys do ?? All opinions are apreciated.

Any members around Woonsocket RI, I will be there this week, if anybody wants to show me their garage Queen or Track ***** call me at 403 383 6161
Old 11-20-2006, 01:57 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

He must have removed the heat exchangers to gain better access to the lower valve covers, and drained the oil because the lower vc's were off. Neither of which are required as one can get the lower vc's off with the exchangers in place. All you have to do is drain the crankcase oil and you'll be good for a few hours at least. I say a few hours because oil can seep past the oil pump from the oil tank.

That price delta is too much, way too much IMO.

I would ask why the oil was changed, and why he removed the heat exchangers... I feel it would be best to have a logical and calm talk with the guy.... at the least..

Is your car quiet now?
Old 11-20-2006, 02:49 AM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can do it easily w/o removing the heat exchangers... that part makes no sense to me. But, doing it without removing the power steering pump is a MAJOR PITA!!!
I bought 12 of these things from Jerry at Euro Products a year ago. He was great to deal with (my order originally was missing one lifter) but I had serious trouble with about healf the lifters I put in the car. I put them all in hot oil and used forcepts to get all the air out of them before placing each of them in their respective rocker arms. I don't know whay but I had at least four, maybe five that refused to buld up pressure. So, instead of replacing all 12 of my lifters with new ones, I spent all my time replacing the replacement lifters that refused to build up pressure and replaced those with other new onces until I was back to square one.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:54 PM
jstgermaine
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I get to the meat and potatoes of my post, I have contacted (previous to this post) John via the links provided to become a Rennlist Sponsor, I hope I am not violating any rules by posting the following before my payment is made.

I know this is a dated post, but I wanted to clear up any confusion that there may be about the lifters supplied by us, all of our lifters are INA brand although various suppliers (everyone in the Porsche parts business gets their parts from the same WD's) ship to us in different packaging (Ruville and LUK).

Leland, I am sorry for any issues you may have had with our lifters...please contact me directly with the number of lifters that were bad and I will promptly refund your money for those.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:24 PM
jmreiser
Instructor

I realize this thread took a break, but, just in case anyone is still interested in this...

I just got a dozen INA/Ruville lifters and they came all primed already. They are so primed however that they will not self-adjust. They are solid as a rock. No springiness whatsoever, not even a little. Even several hundred pounds of pressure in a shop press won't push the oil back out (though it sure does with the factory lifters). Any one else seen this? What gives? Eventually I found a way to get the oil out, but that won't happen in a running motor. How can these things function as intended?
Old 01-30-2007, 06:11 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When everyone says priming, you mean to fill the lifter up with oil before installation?

I recently changed mine, and used a syringe to fill the lifters up with oil. Here are the pics on the last page.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=138212&page=4

Is this what everyone did and still has problem?

--
anthony
Old 01-31-2007, 01:20 AM
STAR57
Racer

Default The Lifters Saga...

It has been a few months and since my "Silver Bullett" has been resting under a car cover I have not spent a lot of time on Rennlist, its been a very busy winter.

The lesson that I learned is hat in small marketts having an exclusive car, calls for having to carry some KY jelly in the glove compartment.

I had a talk with my mechanic and brought up issues of concern to me, like;
Doing stuff just because... he felt that it should be done based on his view.

I made my concerns known, and he said " maybe we are not compatible"
F...K NO !!!! this is the guy that iinstalled my LWFW Cluch the wrong way and tried to charge my another 12 hours.

He discounted the oil change on the bil ( see my previous posts) I thought about it and decided that if I acceped the discount all the speech that I gave him would be lost, as all I wanted was a discount.
I sent him a cheque for the discount that I was given.

Morale of the story..... Be carefull of where you get your car serviced.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:05 AM
Svaha
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks
Old 01-31-2007, 07:57 AM
orcfromthesouth
Instructor

My sympathy. It not only happens to exotic machinery in small towns. They do it all the time here in Santiago. The imagination of some shops (many certified official shops) to find all sorts of trouble and complicated ailments that need expensive fixing knows no limit.
I always get a budget with the job/jobs detailed. I allow for some unforseen costs, and I pay for what was approved on the list. And nothing more. If the tech has doubts, I instruct them to call. The temptation to do 'reasonable' extra jobs is huge and can rack up the bill (and profit for the shop) no end. If some jobs can be done taking advantage of the 'already paid for' disassembly hours, then they should ask, either before they start, or before adding the new work.

Quick Reply: Lifters.....Porsche or After Market