Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife requested "Porsche Buying Guide". How to handle this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 01:05 PM
J4yDubs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wife requested "Porsche Buying Guide". How to handle this?

This one caught me off guard and I'm looking for advice on how to handle it. What would you do?

As with most people here, I've been a Porsche fan for as long as I can remember. I've never owned one, but will one day. The 993 "speaks" to me, but I'd probably be happy with any 911.

My wife knows of my passion for a Porsche. She's known about it from the beginning. So out of nowhere, she asks me to put together a "buying guide" for the Porsche I want. She states not to get excited. It will be several years before we're ready for the purchase, but she was just curious. She probably wants to surprise me, and it WOULD be a nice surprise.

I already have the "want list"; I've had it for some time. I've also collected pictures of what I like. I've made some small changes and was about to give it to her, but then held back. I think my biggest fear would be getting a "bad" car, but if she follows the same procedures I would I'm not sure what the difference would be between me buying it or her.

So, I can see this thread going 3 ways.
1. Everyone saying no, don't give her the list. This is something you should do yourself.
2. Help me modify this list to make is more "full proof". If there can be such a thing.
3. Both.

Here's the list. I'm trying to keep it simple. If nothing else, maybe I'll come out of this with a better list.

Year: 1995 – 1998 (these years are known as the 993); Prefer 1996 -1998
Model: Carrera 2 (Rear Wheel Drive) or Carrera 4 (All Wheel Drive)
Style: Cabriolet (convertible)

Exterior Color: Dark Color. Prefer in this order: Arena Red (burgundy), Iris Blue (dark blue), Forest Green (dark green), Black

Interior Color: Prefer in this order, but not that important: Black, Grey, Tan (cashmere)

Transmission: Manual

“nice to have” Options: Leather Interior, Leather Seats, Power Seats (at least the driver), Heated Seats, Litronic Headlights, Motor Sound Package, Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror, 18” Targa Look Wheels

Modifications: Prefer a stock Porsche. Tasteful modifications OK, but since that’s very subjective they are better avoided. No chrome, huge wings, etc.

Other Details:
Paint must be in good to excellent condition. Interior must be in good to excellent condition and must be a non-smoking car. Normal wear acceptable. No accidents.

Car must be checked out by a qualified mechanic before purchase; called a PPI (pre purchase inspection).

John
Old 11-07-2006, 01:14 PM
trickydisco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you wife knows her way around the car search/purchase process, then I guess she can go it alone, but that sucks for you! I know I would want to have both hands in it.

If she wants help but wants to surprise you, then she can always employ Dave Maynard (European Locators) to do the digging.

You should really be on point though.

good luck
Old 11-07-2006, 01:16 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

John,

Congrats!

You have started to get the wife addicted to Porsche.
I did with mine and now she wants another one. I would tell her EXACTLY what you want. Also Jewelry helps grease the wheels. Be patient and let her drive it if she wants. Mine is so addicted she demands to use our 993 as a daily driver, less than 10 miles a day.

Good luck.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:18 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy to your wife Peter Zimmermann's book "The Used 911 Story"... good luck...
Old 11-07-2006, 01:18 PM
martyp
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You might try the "guides" at

http://www.911secrets.com/

Purchase in electronic format and fairly easy to read. No affiliation, etc.

M
Old 11-07-2006, 01:52 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

John.

Great news. Might I suggest you try to find her a "mentor", perhaps local, perhaps not, that can help with screening the Porsches... perhaps even searching a few out. She should become acquainted with Rennlist, and start seeking advice.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are fortunate she wants to do this! Give her your list and let her go....she just might end up doing a better job.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:30 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nice to have upgraded suspension, don't avoid '95 cars as they have some advantages, note iris blue is NOT common, nor is green. Blues, in general, are not too common, but midnight blue and ocean blue are probably easier to find than iris. Most common are silver and black, but get what you want.

Get a good/thorough and independent PPI with compression and leakdown, and have someone who knows the cars take the one she is looking at (whenever) for a drive/looksie.

She's a pretty cool lady.

Have fun with it!
Old 11-07-2006, 02:31 PM
creator8
Instructor

Now she's given tacit approval, go out an buy one on your own ASAP. When you bring it home and she asks you what the hell you've done, just toss her the keys and let her drive it. Then ask her how she likes "our" new car. Works for me every time I want a new toy.

Its much better to beg forgiveness than ask permission!
Old 11-07-2006, 02:32 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The name Porsche speaks for itself! My wife only wanted to know how much, not "is it a good car?"

You should tell her that since it's the car you (not her) have been dreaming about for years, that you will get all the information and share that with her, but you should insist that you alone!, should make the final decisions regarding this purchase.

Good Luck and hopefully soon we can welcome you to the pure joy of owning and driving what most of us here consider the best sports car ever produced!

ZP44
Old 11-07-2006, 02:33 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ca993twin
John.

Great news. Might I suggest you try to find her a "mentor", perhaps local, perhaps not, that can help with screening the Porsches... perhaps even searching a few out. She should become acquainted with Rennlist, and start seeking advice.
Great advice.

Have her get used to Rennlist. We will make sure she doesn't go down the wrong road, so to speak.

We all love finding a great example of a 993--the hunt is much of the fun.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:34 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Just call Dave Maynard - save yourself the headache and the hassle.

http://www.europeanlocators.com/
Old 11-07-2006, 02:45 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
Just call Dave Maynard - save yourself the headache and the hassle.
As I have stated in a previous post "the hunt for my 993 was very enjoyable " and even though it took close to a year to find my car, it was way fun to test drive the 15-20 I did before I found my baby.

Like most hunters, I think the stalk is better than the kill!

ZP44
Old 11-07-2006, 05:19 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

"Wife requested "Porsche Buying Guide". How to handle this?"
I think you're handling it very well ... and are receiving lots of good advice: the 'right' car will eventually arrive.

Then, you must stay on your best behavior - for you never want to see your wife searching out the companion book " Porsche Selling Guide" ...
Old 11-07-2006, 05:53 PM
EndlessEarth
Instructor

Wife requested the Porsche Buying Guide. How do you handle it?

I am thinking some big shiny bit of jewelry in her Holiday stocking or sooner if possible. Maybe a necklace or a bracelet since she already has the ring. A greased wheel does not squeek.

Quick Reply: Wife requested "Porsche Buying Guide". How to handle this?