Sponsored by:

A picture says it all...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 09:28 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A picture says it all...

R.I.P: One of the best cars I have ever owned...

Thanks to the minivan driving scumbag who cut me off over a week ago, put me into the guard rail and concrete wall of a local highway and then didn't even have the decency to stop to make sure that I'm alive. It's a total loss but I'm physically fine and healthy, ready to live another day and shop for my new Porsche.
Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2006, 09:31 AM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

That makes me sick to see. Sorry about the car, but glad you are ok!
Old 11-07-2006, 09:39 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Alon,

That blows! I'm guessing your insurance is covering the damages? Not sure how the hit-and-run scenario works.

Good luck in finding a new one.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:41 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

You were in an accident??? I'm glad you are (presumably) okay, but after seeing so many pictures of your car, that is a sad sight.

Perhaps the 993 did its duty in keeping you safe after something like that.
EndlessEarth
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A moment of silence for your car.

May its soul come back as a GT3.
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Alon,

I'm glad you're okay and very sorry to see the lost on your C2S. I hope your insurance co. will do your right and to see you back in another 993 (maybe a TT?).

Good Luck.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:42 AM
luv2ride
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

FF'nn minivan driving scumbag!!! Sorry about your car.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:46 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to know you are OK...the interior looks intact...solid little cars!!!
Old 11-07-2006, 09:50 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Awful just awful sight but glad she protected you!!!
Old 11-07-2006, 09:50 AM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Sorry about your car, glad you are ok that is the important thing.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:52 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Thank you everyone. A few more details:

1- other than the obvious decrease in overall length, the front left control arm shattered into many pieces,
2- both tie rods were completely bent,
3- one wheel was destroyed but somehow, stayed round when spun on the balance machine (and the tire held air!),
4- the sunroof popped out and up under the pressure of the fold in the roof just above the driver's door,
5- the floor buckled and shifted the pedals upward and over a bit,
6- the windshield cracked at the bottom passenger side corner from the pressure of the firewall/bulkhead being pushed back and up,
7- the passenger door closes but with difficulty and the top, back of it sticks out to create about an inch of gap
Other than that, the car is in perfect shape. The H&R suspension survived without a single scratch somehow (I have check both front shocks for bends/etc. and they are perfect). The back of the car didn't even get dirty...

Insurance is covering this as an "at fault" claim and there doesn't seem to be much that I can do about that but I'm in no position to take this loss and the car can not be fixed to my standards.

What's next? I will say that I am keeping true to my faith of the air cooled heritage that our cars offer. It's a twin turbo and it's painted the only Porsche color that has the word Speed in its name.

At the end of the day, I am thoroughly impressed with this car's strength and ability to save my life. I will say that I have learned at least two important things:
1- I will never keep my Blackberry clipped up on the sunvisor. That became a projectile that banged me right in the forehead (I can't afford to be uglier than I am already),
2- The very last split second before initial impact, when I knew that there was nothing else that I could do, I lifted my feet off the pedals, tried to relax and just went for a ride. I believe strongly that this prevented me from tensing up and causing future damage to my spine/etc.

Thanks for all your kind words and I look forward to being back in the saddle of a Porsche very soon.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:17 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Alon
I'm physically fine and healthy, ready to live another day and shop for my new Porsche.
So sad to see. Let's hope that the "new" Porsche is an equally-stunning 993!

Andreas
Old 11-07-2006, 10:18 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Alon
1- other than the obvious decrease in overall length, the front left control arm shattered into many pieces,
2- both tie rods were completely bent,
3- one wheel was destroyed but somehow, stayed round when spun on the balance machine (and the tire held air!),
4- the sunroof popped out and up under the pressure of the fold in the roof just above the driver's door,
5- the floor buckled and shifted the pedals upward and over a bit,
6- the windshield cracked at the bottom passenger side corner from the pressure of the firewall/bulkhead being pushed back and up,
7- the passenger door closes but with difficulty and the top, back of it sticks out to create about an inch of gap
Other than that, the car is in perfect shape. The H&R suspension survived without a single scratch somehow (I have check both front shocks for bends/etc. and they are perfect). The back of the car didn't even get dirty...
All of the above allows you to type this today! Glad to see you here posting!! The car protected you as all cars should, but not always do. There is value in these old air cooled antiques

Please have a close look, or better, crack check the front shock shafts where the threads start near the top. This is where any damage will most likely be. Since the lower control arm broke, that whole assembly dangled around without support and could have seen a huge bending load near the top at the threads of the shock shaft.

BTW, Speed yellow is a great color!!
Old 11-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Chris.I have visually checked all parts of the shocks including the condition of the camber plates/monoballs and all seems good. I am going to have them x-rayed by an engineer friend.

Speed Yellow would not have been my first choice but it's a car local to me and it has very, very low mileage. It's unmoletsed and stock unmodded (for now )
Old 11-07-2006, 10:41 AM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a loss - so sorry to see & hear this, Alon. Glad that little tank did it's job and kept you safe. Good luck on your SY TT - be sure to post pics!

Quick Reply: A picture says it all...