Sponsored by:

A picture says it all...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 12:47 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Alon-
So sorry to hear this. Really saddening.

Now that you've been there, do you have any advice for anyone faced with a car moving over into their lane? My wife & I have an ongoing discussion about this... would it be better to let them hit you? If you do, you're guaranteed moderate damage, but if you swerve you may escape unscathed or with a totalled car. Interested in your thoughts.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:48 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks, but something tells me you'll forget all about your '2S when those twin turbos spool up
Old 11-07-2006, 12:52 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 791 Likes on 426 Posts

Glad to hear you are ok.

Cars are replacable, you're not.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:19 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry to hear about this - Im sure you will end up with something better than what you had! Now lets see a pic of your blackberry tatooed forehead!
Old 11-07-2006, 02:21 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It never ceases to amaze me how strong these little cars are......Glad your a physically OK but I feel your mental anguish.........

Good Luck with the Ins Co....Hope you are able to find a suitable replacement without to much trouble.

ZP44
Old 11-07-2006, 02:27 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to see any p-car like that, let alone such an obviously loved example...

Try to look on the bright side - you came out a-ok, and we all look forward to welcoming you on the 993tt board!
Old 11-07-2006, 02:32 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chrisw_05
Alon - what are the chances of buying your 993 back off the insurers for spares? May be worth it in the long run as you can strip and sell on parts for maybe even a profit and offset the pain / extra cost you have / may incurre?

We can do this in the UK as we have first refusal rather than selling to a scrap merchant who would do the same and stip it to sell parts.......or even worse.......make good and sell on to an unsuspecting buyer.

Nice to hear you are getting back in the saddle ASAP.........same as me when my 964 was stolen......the NEED for an aircooled engine behind you is just too much to take.

Chris W.
As the current owner, the Insurance COmpany has to allow me first right of refusal for the salvage but they may want a ton of $$$ to help recover their losses. Believe me, I've been contemplating an old 911 chassis (1969 - 1973) and hot-rodding it with my perfect drivetrain but for some reason, it seems like potentially bad kharma to me I have a friend in the Porsche parts business who will most likely buy the salvage.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:33 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pcar964
That sucks, but something tells me you'll forget all about your '2S when those twin turbos spool up

LOL. I will still miss rear wheel drive and lighter overall weight.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:38 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Here's another for anyone interested.
Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2006, 02:42 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Alon
LOL. I will still miss rear wheel drive and lighter overall weight.
I believe Viperbob sells a kit for around $1k that eliminates the AWD, pretty cheap!
Old 11-07-2006, 02:42 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Alon-
So sorry to hear this. Really saddening.

Now that you've been there, do you have any advice for anyone faced with a car moving over into their lane? My wife & I have an ongoing discussion about this... would it be better to let them hit you? If you do, you're guaranteed moderate damage, but if you swerve you may escape unscathed or with a totalled car. Interested in your thoughts.
My insurance appraisor was actually dumb enough to tell me that I should have let the other guy hit me so we would have someone to blame and this would not be considered an "at fault" accident. I don't know about you but I usualy spend my time on the road looking for opportunities to avoid accidents, not let them happen. Financially speaking, I should have let him hit me but I doubt highly that anyone would find the presence of mind to actually allow something to happen especially when a lange change into you could usually be easily avoided.

I don't know what the right answer is. I am a new father of twin boys three months ago so all I could think about was avoiding collision.

It's ok, the boys will love the SPeed Yellow 993tt waiting for me to pick up
Old 11-07-2006, 02:43 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pcar964
I believe Viperbob sells a kit for around $1k that eliminates the AWD, pretty cheap!
That will be under consideration...
Old 11-07-2006, 02:51 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Alon
My insurance appraisor was actually dumb enough to tell me that I should have let the other guy hit me so we would have someone to blame and this would not be considered an "at fault" accident. I don't know about you but I usualy spend my time on the road looking for opportunities to avoid accidents, not let them happen. Financially speaking, I should have let him hit me but I doubt highly that anyone would find the presence of mind to actually allow something to happen especially when a lange change into you could usually be easily avoided.

I don't know what the right answer is. I am a new father of twin boys three months ago so all I could think about was avoiding collision.

It's ok, the boys will love the SPeed Yellow 993tt waiting for me to pick up

Don't feel bad, there isn't one of us here that would ever let anyone hit our 993's if avoiding the collision is at all possible.

And I'm very pleased you keep your little boys in mind....cars can be replaced Dads cannot!

Again...........Good Luck!

ZP44
Old 11-07-2006, 02:53 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

[B]And I'm very pleased you keep your little boys in mind....cars can be replaced Dads cannot![/B]

Thanks but my wife would argue that...
Old 11-07-2006, 02:54 PM
jnnking
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your car...but now you get a nice 'new' one and not worse for the wear.

Quick Reply: A picture says it all...