OT: help with potential scam

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 12:36 AM
Peqoud
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: help with potential scam

Hi,

I just sold my cdr-210 on ebay. When it was removed, the unit was fully functional (lights, cd, etc.). The guy I sold it to just wrote me to tell me the backlights etc. are not working. I think he bought mine because his unit (same model as mine) had a cd loading problem. Anayway, I am happy to refund his money if this truly is the case, but how do I know if he's simply shipping me back his defective unit??!! I was a dumby and did not take note of the serial number of mine and shipped him all of the original paperwork. Anyway, I might be paranoid but I do not want to be taken for a ride here. Any ideas?
Old 11-04-2006, 02:07 AM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was the original unit to the car any dealer can tell you what the numers were with your vin I think - otherwise you know in your heart that the thing worked and you should stick to that unless you are unwilling to risk negative feedback. Good luck ebay can be a sketchy place.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:27 AM
grmnxtc
Pro

Let him ship back the unit to you on his dime ...

Then check out the unit.

If it works OK, tell him to pay you for return shipping before you'll ship it back. NFF (no fault found - end of story
If it doesn't work and smells fishy- i.e. you are CERTAIN it's not you unit say "no-refund" and ship it back on HIS dime again. If he's not wiling then politely say what you know to be true.
If you're CERTAIN its your original unit and it's obvioulsy wrong, then do what you feel is right - refund or not... your choice.

Remember though that if the unit was sold and shipped with no warranty - why are you even having the conversation in the first place? Do not let an Ebay bidder fluster you into doing something you never offered in the first place (i.e. guaranteed operation!).

My $0.02

Edit... oh, and do you stil have pictures? Can you see a serial number or something to reference that it's yours if it ever comes back?
Old 11-04-2006, 03:17 AM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Do you remember the radio code?
If so, his unit should have a different one.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:40 AM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

If your CRD was the original unit of your car, it should be possible to retrieve the code and the serial nr from the dealer.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:07 AM
Peqoud
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the responses. I will let him ship it to me and explore the dealer info.

Cheers,

Nick
Old 11-04-2006, 11:18 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I'm the "guy" from Ebay

Originally Posted by Peqoud
Hi,

The guy I sold it to just wrote me to tell me the backlights etc. are not working. Anayway, I am happy to refund his money if this truly is the case, but how do I know if he's simply shipping me back his defective unit??!!
Hey Nick....small world. I'm thrilled about your post, because it is confirmation that you are honest (never doubted that) and that the radio worked when it came out.

I really want to keep your radio, because I'm just trying to get my (new to me) 993 up to my standards. You are correct the original Becker unit that was in the car when I bought it has a CD loading/unloading problem.

I remember a post from a "quote/unquote" Becker expert on this forum. Maybe he can help explain why the back light of your radio doesn't light up.

Last night I put yours in...no light. Put mine back in...backlight. Everything worked great on yours except the backlight. Its a simple connection...2 plugs and the antenna, so hard to screw that up.

Regarding the radio switch-a-rue....my wife and I had a good laugh because I guess I don't have the criminal mind to come up with such a scam. But I certainly give you credit for thinking of that, because there are many dishonest people out there. Obviously neither of us are in the group.

P.S. Remember my E-bay feedback is 270+ (100%) Positive since 1999. I have bought and sold Rolex watches on Ebay so I'm not going to risk my perfect feedback on a $150 radio.

Thanks Gert for the clearification of the security code preventing the swap......Hey Gert--I'm the guy with the order for the black cover you have coming from Confezzione Andrea in Italy....can't wait to get it. (Yes, another small world---6 degrees of seperation folks!!!)

Nick--I'm not opposed to seeing if anyone posts a solution to the backlight issue before we work out a return and refund.....are you OK with that?
Old 11-04-2006, 11:24 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ahhhh...the power of Rennlist at work! Small world indeed.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:24 AM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Mark, Contact the Becker Board and ask about the backlight, someone there could probably help.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:28 PM
pcar
Rennlist Member

Hey Guys,
On my cd-210 the contacts (the ones on the removable face) are both weak and subject to losing the contact. Try "pushing" the face on and moving it around. You can confirm power to the face plate with the use of a test light,multi-meter ect..
Old 11-04-2006, 01:01 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Face plate has power. Frequency display works, tuning, volume, presets....all work. The lights (backlight to frequency bar and behind ON switch, etc.) don't work. I tired both face plates. My original face plate on Nicks unit....no lights. Then I tried Nick's face plate on my unit...lights. By process of elimination it appears to be the unit not a face plate issue. I checked the contacts on Nicks radio where the face plate match up and they all look good.

From the "no body cares" department; through this process I discovered that face plates ARE interchangeable WITHOUT codes. Obviously if you cut power to the radio you need a code, but you can swap faceplates all day. (and they retain the preset memories)
Old 11-04-2006, 01:13 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jnx
Mark, Contact the Becker Board and ask about the backlight, someone there could probably help.

Where is the Becker Board???
Old 11-04-2006, 02:38 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Sorry...www.beckerautosound.com

Jay
Old 11-04-2006, 02:41 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 128 Posts

Mark,

I just wanted to compliment you on your considerate and restrained response to Peqoud's post.

There are many who would have just complained and gotten all pissed off right off the bat.

Kudos for you for going to solution and trying to sort it out like gentlemen.

Old 11-04-2006, 05:08 PM
Peqoud
Rennlist Member

Ah the power of the Internets! Mark, thanks for your post. Sorry for my initial skepticism. Very glad to see you're a member too. You have a new message in your inbox.

Thanks,

Nick

Quick Reply: OT: help with potential scam