Sponsored by:

Ticking noise...help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 06:30 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Hi pcar964...

I replaced all of mine - so I'm not exactly sure?? I had 2 exhaust lifters shot, and 1 intake on it's way out..? Based on that VERY UNSCIENTIFIC result ( ) - it would appear, in my case at least - that exhaust lifters take a bit more of a thrashing (don't ask me why - I'm not a scientist, and barely passed physics in high school)...

As for a different sound?? Not that I recall..?? They all sounded like "clicking" to my untrained ear (which, is pretty untrained ).

I'm sure this doesn't help too much - but what the heck..!!

John
Old 11-02-2006, 07:27 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by John D.
I replaced all of mine - so I'm not exactly sure?? I had 2 exhaust lifters shot, and 1 intake on it's way out..? Based on that VERY UNSCIENTIFIC result ( ) - it would appear, in my case at least - that exhaust lifters take a bit more of a thrashing (don't ask me why - I'm not a scientist, and barely passed physics in high school)...

As for a different sound?? Not that I recall..?? They all sounded like "clicking" to my untrained ear (which, is pretty untrained ).

John
John, I looked for but didn't see what your mileage was when you did the lifters, do you remember what it was?

Sears (and other stores) have mechanic stethascopes (sp?) that run about $10, in case you're not fond of the screwdriver method (or if you're like me and just like to buy tools).
Old 11-02-2006, 07:33 PM
John D.
Banned

Hi Bill.!

I think it was about 118,000 miles?? What pushed the lifters over the edge was that last run during a 3 day track event... Today - I have almost 130K miles on her - and the engine is running like a "Swiss Watch" (well - "German Watch"???).. Right now - it's in the garage, as I took out the windshield to get after some rust down by the elbows of the windscreen frame (faulty install by the PO's "glass company" - who butchered it..) - and my old windshield started to crack from a stone chip...

Monday - the new glass goes in..!!! Yea!!!!

Best to you!

John D.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:06 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John D.
Hi pcar964...

I'm sure this doesn't help too much - but what the heck..!!

John
Very interesting John,

If they sound similar, I guess the best thing for me to do is replace the exhaust lifters first, see if that cures it. Then if I still hear tapping, I'll know exactly what intake lifter noise sounds like
Old 11-02-2006, 09:24 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

For reference, I had what I thought was one exhaust lifter start to make noise, replaced all three. Then discovered it was an intake lifter, replaced all three of those on that side, cured it..

I could have sworn the noise was coming from the exhaust side.. Oh well..
Old 11-02-2006, 09:26 PM
John D.
Banned

You may be able to isolate whether it's intake or exhaust through Bill's suggestion of a stethascope? I never tried that - but my guess is that if you put it on the upper cover, the noise would get louder if it was on the intake side??

That being said - I'd also question whether all shouldn't just be done as a group anyway? The tougher side would probably be the right-side intakes, rather than the exhaust lifters on either side..??

Just another thought...?

Best to you!

John
Old 11-02-2006, 09:29 PM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Has anyone documented with pictures the process for replacing the lifters while the motor is still in the car?
Old 11-03-2006, 07:03 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It may be possible to isolate which lifter is giving the noise but that does not mean the others are not close to collapse. All mine were replaced at 50,000 even tho' only one was generating the noise - when removed the O - rings just broke apart! My wrench did the whole job with the engine in-situe - think he had to remove a steering pump bolt to get at one set properly.

PJC
Old 11-04-2006, 12:00 PM
STAR57
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The original assessment may be correct, however, there is other remote possibilities, such as the possibility of the radiator fan having expanded due to lack of coolant, and may be touching the edge of the flux capacitor, that in turn can cause the nuclear reactor to overheat and you'll have a complete melt down.
Not mention that you will need new fuel rods.

On a more serious note my C4 is having the lifters changed, and so far its not going that smooth cee my previous post.

Quick Reply: Ticking noise...help!