Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have COSTCO MotoFloor garage floor tiles?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 04:26 PM
martyp
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Have COSTCO MotoFloor garage floor tiles?

If so, how may edge pieces in the "completer kit"?

And how do you like it overall?

Thanks!

M
Old 11-01-2006, 04:37 PM
cowtown
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Motofloor tiles in my garage. There are a few more pictures in this thread.

I came from a house where I did a U-Coat-it epoxy floor, and decided to do tiles in my new garage.

- Hard to keep clean, especially the white ones
- Have to be careful using jack stands/jacks/heavy equipment
- Loud to walk on (they are hollow underneath, with ribs for support

+ Nicer to kneel on than concrete
+ Look great
+ EASY to put in, take out, and rearrange. The epoxy was a real pain, even on new concrete

All in all, I like them, but they seem oriented more toward looks than easy cleanup and heavy projects. I'll just have to be careful.

I can't remember how many pieces were in the completer kit, but I used ONE kit in my 400 sqft garage, which has one double door, one side door, and one hallway door.
Attached Images  
Old 11-01-2006, 04:48 PM
Chuck A.
Pro

You only need one edge kit to do a two car garage. I have two doors and have a few pieces left over.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:50 PM
bobbigham
Pro

Sounds like something I would like to do.

What's the expected pricing for the 2 car garage kit?

I have a 3 car garage, but no need to put tiles down for my wifes Z4 (just kidding, sort of).
Old 11-01-2006, 06:51 PM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

Go with Swiss-Trax. I found them thanks to someone on this board who posted information. Diamond trex are really impressive. Sturdy, sharp looking, quite, easy to cut, and super easy to install.

They have a sweet clearance deal going on too.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:47 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

This past summer the costco kit was $30 off ($89 for 45 sq ft). Maybe Ill wait to see if they go on sale again. Dont mean to highjack thread, but has anyone tried the PVC roll-out flooring? It seems like it might be lower cost than tiles and easier to install. However, Im concerned that the PVC might not hold-up to jack stands etc.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the pvc roll out stuff in my regular 2-car garage. I bought 2 10x24 (?) pieces and made it "wall-to-wall". It did a good job covering up an aging/peeling epoxy floor, but I would not recommend for a working garage. Jack stands would trash it and the ribbed style hurts to kneel on. It also gets water under it if it rains and the garage door is open - very hard to dry and it can mildew under there. I have black & white Armstrong glue down tiles in my Porsche garage - I put solid black where the car parks so no problems with the tires leaving marks. You still need to be careful with jack stands, but it looks gooooood!
Old 11-01-2006, 08:48 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by martyp
If so, how may edge pieces in the "completer kit"?

And how do you like it overall?

Thanks!

M
I have these... and they are holding up very well.
I have a 1400 sq ft shop and ended up needing 2 "completer kits" because I had more edges to deal with. Only tiled the car portion of the shop. I just went out and counted... there are 20 per kit. The completer kit also comes with a stack of extra tiles... more than you would think. I suppose these are to help fill where you need to cut tiles.
I used a chop saw to cut them.

Very easy to install.
Very easy to keep clean.
I did the same thing cowtown did and "surrounded" my lift.
Only wish I'd have gone with the black and white. The grey doesn't look as good IMO.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:42 AM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Crimson Nape Racing
I have the pvc roll out stuff in my regular 2-car garage. I bought 2 10x24 (?) pieces and made it "wall-to-wall". It did a good job covering up an aging/peeling epoxy floor, but I would not recommend for a working garage. Jack stands would trash it and the ribbed style hurts to kneel on. It also gets water under it if it rains and the garage door is open - very hard to dry and it can mildew under there. I have black & white Armstrong glue down tiles in my Porsche garage - I put solid black where the car parks so no problems with the tires leaving marks. You still need to be careful with jack stands, but it looks gooooood!
Thanks for the information. i was wondering the PVC roll up could not take working stresses of a working garage. I assume that the Armstrong tiles are the ones you find in the home improvement stores? Are they interlocking? I am trying to find something for my aging epoxy floor as well. I did a quick search and people have commented that vinyl tiles have a problem with lifting over time with hot tires and are terrible against brake cleaner solvents etc - have you seen a problem? (if this is what you have)

I have a love/hate relationship with my DIY epoxy floor. It has pulled up in areas and the new tires of my wifes SUV stained the floor. Also, any oil that is left on the floor has stained it. I still think it looks better than original, but I cant look at it too close or I get disappointed. Im thinking that the black glued tiles just for the car area might be good. I have epoxy in the non-work areas and its holding up well. The black tiles under the car will clean up the floor, but Im scared of the tiles lifting if they are glued to the epoxy or constantly getting cut from use.

Does anyone know if a flooring exists that can take the abuse that a 993 DIYer can dish out on it?

Last edited by tj90; 11-02-2006 at 01:20 AM.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:02 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO, a floating tile floor like the MotoFloor or Swiss-Trax is best for reasons already stated above. It is very durable, oil and chemical resistant... I have tried to hurt it. So far so good.
I went with the MotoFloor for $$ reasons. I couldn't justify the extra cost of a couple of other brands.
However, with SwissTrax and others you get MANY color and surface pattern choices.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:10 PM
martyp
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cowtown
I have Motofloor tiles in my garage. There are a few more pictures in this thread.

I came from a house where I did a U-Coat-it epoxy floor, and decided to do tiles in my new garage.

- Hard to keep clean, especially the white ones
- Have to be careful using jack stands/jacks/heavy equipment
- Loud to walk on (they are hollow underneath, with ribs for support

+ Nicer to kneel on than concrete
+ Look great
+ EASY to put in, take out, and rearrange. The epoxy was a real pain, even on new concrete

All in all, I like them, but they seem oriented more toward looks than easy cleanup and heavy projects. I'll just have to be careful.

I can't remember how many pieces were in the completer kit, but I used ONE kit in my 400 sqft garage, which has one double door, one side door, and one hallway door.
Thanks for the info. I can't tell from the pics @ costco what the surface pattern is - diamond, coin, other?
Old 11-02-2006, 01:14 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Crimson Nape Racing
I have the pvc roll out stuff in my regular 2-car garage. I bought 2 10x24 (?) pieces and made it "wall-to-wall". It did a good job covering up an aging/peeling epoxy floor, but I would not recommend for a working garage. Jack stands would trash it and the ribbed style hurts to kneel on. ...[snip]
Thanks for the info; I too was wondering about this stuff. Their std 10'x20' roll would fit PERFECT in my garage, but I do a lot of jacking so I'll pass. There's a good thread on pelican about this:

http://www.pelicanbbs.com/showthread...hreadid=312166

Sounds to me like the best solution for a working garage is Racedeck, Swiss-Trax, Costco (which is Racedeck), or Kiwi. All are interlocking tiles. Jacking on glued Armstrong tiles is apparently dangerous per some posts on pelicanbbs.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:14 PM
martyp
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimwood
Go with Swiss-Trax. I found them thanks to someone on this board who posted information. Diamond trex are really impressive. Sturdy, sharp looking, quite, easy to cut, and super easy to install.

They have a sweet clearance deal going on too.
Thanks for the tip. The clearance prices are good and the product looks very nice. Seems to have a longer warranty than the MotoFloor (12 years vs 10). Just wonder what the "color variances" really look like on the clearance tiles.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:17 PM
martyp
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 92964cab
IMO, a floating tile floor like the MotoFloor or Swiss-Trax is best for reasons already stated above. It is very durable, oil and chemical resistant... I have tried to hurt it. So far so good.
I went with the MotoFloor for $$ reasons. I couldn't justify the extra cost of a couple of other brands.
However, with SwissTrax and others you get MANY color and surface pattern choices.
I agree with your reasoning. I figure that after I repaint the whole garage I will be burned out on rolling and don't want to continue on the floor with an epoxy product. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:28 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

FWIW, I put down the PVC roll coin pattern flooring earlier this year. 2 10X24 to cover a 2 car garage was what I needed.

+ Quick and easy to install
+ Easy to keep clean
+ Oil, fluids wipe right up
+ Covers a cracked concrete floor without the hassle of refinishing
+ Less dust, easier to sweep.

- Tire spots where car parks
- Seam where two rolls butt up against can expand and contract leaving a gap
- Can't use regular jackstands. I needed to use wood underneath the jackstands to have a smooth platform. Will get some AC jackstands and that should solve my problem of jackstands cutting through the vinyl.

So far though, the flooring has held up well to regular maintenance of the Porsche. Just finished a 60K and was able to clean up the floor easily.

Also did some suspension work on another car (control arms and bushings) and again, it was no big deal. Much better than working on bare concrete.

-travis

Quick Reply: Have COSTCO MotoFloor garage floor tiles?