Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have COSTCO MotoFloor garage floor tiles?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 03:34 PM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by martyp
Thanks for the tip. The clearance prices are good and the product looks very nice. Seems to have a longer warranty than the MotoFloor (12 years vs 10). Just wonder what the "color variances" really look like on the clearance tiles.
The more expensive reject tiles 2.29 sq.ft. have very, very slight imperfections; those are the ones I got: Silver and Grey. I would say you can't tell in sunlight, but with florencent light you can pick up some imprefections in the silver tiles because of the pearl in them. The grey ones by in large are perfect.

However, there was one tile which had real bad bleed through; it looked bad. You can actually see where the injection into the mold occurs. These are the reject 1.29 sq. ft. titles. The 1.79 probably aren't bad.
Just ask them, they were really upfront. (Talk to the guy in the warehouse)

The biggest concern I had was being able to cut them. I ended up buying a 33 dollar black and decker jig saw and did the cutting in about 4 minutes for the entire garage. It was easy. So if cutting is a concern, it shouldn't be. Trust me I'm a HORRIBLE carpenter and was able to make good, intricate cuts.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:55 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis
FWIW, I put down the PVC roll coin pattern flooring earlier this year. 2 10X24 to cover a 2 car garage was what I needed.

+ Quick and easy to install
+ Easy to keep clean
+ Oil, fluids wipe right up
+ Covers a cracked concrete floor without the hassle of refinishing
+ Less dust, easier to sweep.

- Tire spots where car parks
- Seam where two rolls butt up against can expand and contract leaving a gap
- Can't use regular jackstands. I needed to use wood underneath the jackstands to have a smooth platform. Will get some AC jackstands and that should solve my problem of jackstands cutting through the vinyl.

So far though, the flooring has held up well to regular maintenance of the Porsche. Just finished a 60K and was able to clean up the floor easily.

Also did some suspension work on another car (control arms and bushings) and again, it was no big deal. Much better than working on bare concrete.

-travis
I've used jacks and stands on my roll-out flooring and like it. Although I do get some tire marks where my wife's car parks (not where the porsche parks):

Here are some before/afters:

Old 11-02-2006, 03:56 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here's a pic of the floor. It will be 3 years old next spring and still looks good. I did have some problems with the tiles "sliding" under the wheels. I simply pulled up the tiles under the tires and glued them down with liquid nails - no more moving tiles! If (when) I put this floor in my other garage, I will research more regarding the type of glue to use. I think the glue doesn't stick to the epoxy floor very well. I pulled the engine/tranny two years ago and have spilled oil and brake fluid several times, all w/o damaging anything. The wax protects it as long as nothing sits on it too long. Also, when you re-wax it, it looks as good as new. The problem with some tiles (like race deck), is that stuff gets between the tiles and it is impossible to clean. I got samples of a heavy (3/8" or so thick) rubber tile that snaps together. It would be perfect except it cost about $4 per square foot while the glue down armstrong tiles are less than $1 per foot. It is a little more work to protect, but worth the savings INMO. BTW, I think Griot's now sells the rubber tiles and they have come down in price.
Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2006, 04:39 PM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

I used the Armstrong peel and stick tiles in the pic in my avitar. I also used liquid nails on all the tiles. I loved them, except they were ultra slippery when they got wet. I probably liked them more than the Swiss-Trax, but because they were sooo slippery I opted to try something else. The Armstrongs were also a much softer than the swiss-trax, which is a bonus when you have to lie on the ground or just walking around in general.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:56 PM
WorldFresh
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where can I purchase the Swiss Trax tiles? Thanks!
Old 11-02-2006, 05:02 PM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

http://swisstrax.com/

Check out the clearance specials.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:15 PM
WorldFresh
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!!
Old 11-02-2006, 05:58 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

So RaceDeck runs $3.49 per tile (12"x12"). Anyone know what SwissTrax runs per 13"x13" tile?
Old 11-02-2006, 06:09 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW Motofloor were on sale at about $1.88/sq ft
Now about $2.50
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...opnav=&browse=
Old 11-03-2006, 10:05 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think nothing says 'casual elegance' like distressed oil-finish concrete...
Old 11-07-2006, 11:41 AM
martyp
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jimwood
The more expensive reject tiles 2.29 sq.ft. have very, very slight imperfections; those are the ones I got: Silver and Grey. I would say you can't tell in sunlight, but with florencent light you can pick up some imprefections in the silver tiles because of the pearl in them. The grey ones by in large are perfect.

However, there was one tile which had real bad bleed through; it looked bad. You can actually see where the injection into the mold occurs. These are the reject 1.29 sq. ft. titles. The 1.79 probably aren't bad.
Just ask them, they were really upfront. (Talk to the guy in the warehouse)

The biggest concern I had was being able to cut them. I ended up buying a 33 dollar black and decker jig saw and did the cutting in about 4 minutes for the entire garage. It was easy. So if cutting is a concern, it shouldn't be. Trust me I'm a HORRIBLE carpenter and was able to make good, intricate cuts.
Thanks for the details. I'm going to ask for a quote on firsts just to see (I'll have > 500 sqft so there may some kind of quantity discount).

FWIW - Sears carries two brands of tiles as well - the Craftsman brand @ ~$2.75 a square and the Gladiator brand (Whirlpool) @ ~$4 a square. Gladiator also has rolls as well.

Quick Reply: Have COSTCO MotoFloor garage floor tiles?