Sponsored by:

maintaining super lower miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 05:16 PM
EndlessEarth
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 92GTA
I've always like that stuff you mix in a bucket and roll on with a paint roller that you see advertised on TV, seems like that would be the best. You are right about not needing to do this is you use the CarCoon...

Alex

I used that paint. I picked it up at Home Depot. The kit I purchased comes with little blakes of black, white and grey flakes. You paint a 4'x4' square then you sprinkle the flakes over it. Then repeat until garage is done. The flakes help to mask any dirt of (god forbid) oil stains.

Warning: If your concrete floor is prone to weeping (moisture comes up from below) it will not adhere.

Here is a pic:
Attached Images  
Old 11-04-2006, 09:26 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default car capsule

well, put 3 of the cars in the car capsules tonight in th ewarehouse. i'll give a quick review:
overall rating 9.5
the thing took me about 15 minute to setup the first one because i wasnt sure what was what. instructions need a little work. sorry, they do. usablity, understandability of instructions is critical. they had no verbiage about how the fan/filter goes in, orientation, nor pictures, so took me 10minutes to ensure i got it right, then it was cake.
next 2 took like 5 minutes to get setup and going. hereafter, ow that filters and cables are run, should take just a few minutes to take off, and put on.

wouldnt recommend for a cover you might take off 1/day or a few /week. takes a bit more effort than just pulling one over. but the upsides are that it is very secure. there is a nice air cushion bubble covering the thing. feels like a pretty well inflated moon bounce on which my kids playat local fairs, etc.
they say a 5lb hammer can be dropped onit, not sure about that, but it definately will keep the kids from knicking it...the air flow keeps things fresh without letting in dust which is great as it will stay just perfect with the filtered air system. and the very best thing is that its clear, see-through, so you can see your honey in all her glory, which is a good portion fun. seeing such a magnificent beast. from a presentation perspective, its very appealing and reallyshowcases the thing.
mine were not inexpensive, about 350$ per, but given the functionality, and the cosmetic gain of seeing the car perpetually but having it well shelter, i think makes it a very valueable option.
i think the 18" was a tad long for the car.

so great suggestion provided to me by this board...implemented easily..solves many of my issues.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:15 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
well, put 3 of the cars in the car capsules tonight in th ewarehouse. i'll give a quick review:
overall rating 9.5
the thing took me about 15 minute to setup the first one because i wasnt sure what was what. instructions need a little work. sorry, they do. usablity, understandability of instructions is critical. they had no verbiage about how the fan/filter goes in, orientation, nor pictures, so took me 10minutes to ensure i got it right, then it was cake.
next 2 took like 5 minutes to get setup and going. hereafter, ow that filters and cables are run, should take just a few minutes to take off, and put on.

wouldnt recommend for a cover you might take off 1/day or a few /week. takes a bit more effort than just pulling one over. but the upsides are that it is very secure. there is a nice air cushion bubble covering the thing. feels like a pretty well inflated moon bounce on which my kids playat local fairs, etc.
they say a 5lb hammer can be dropped onit, not sure about that, but it definately will keep the kids from knicking it...the air flow keeps things fresh without letting in dust which is great as it will stay just perfect with the filtered air system. and the very best thing is that its clear, see-through, so you can see your honey in all her glory, which is a good portion fun. seeing such a magnificent beast. from a presentation perspective, its very appealing and reallyshowcases the thing.
mine were not inexpensive, about 350$ per, but given the functionality, and the cosmetic gain of seeing the car perpetually but having it well shelter, i think makes it a very valueable option.
i think the 18" was a tad long for the car.

so great suggestion provided to me by this board...implemented easily..solves many of my issues.
Great review. I am glad that you liked them and that I was able to help some. Your comments about the bubble are very similar to those of my friend that has one.

Post some pics of the babies on their hybernation cocoons when you can.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:33 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Default battery tenders, connectors thoughts and feedback

ok, so i have some ideas i wanted to run by those with the knowledge and see if i'm in the right ball park. this is all part of my trying to get a good strategy for maintaining the low miles on certain of the cars. it centers on battery, battery maintenance and connectors.

ok, so i bot a bunch of the battery tenders from Sears, the diehard brand. seems very similar to battery tenders from costco. its a small unit with 2 or 6amp charging rate, intelligent charging. it comes with 3 connectors...a) connector that plugs into cigarette lighter plug, b) connector that has aligator battery clips;, and c) connector that has two ring connectors on the end.

so i pulled the batteries from the car, and put them on a rack, and plan on using the chargers to keep them juiced properly. in the manual, it states you have to use an additional "jumper" cable or cable of appropriate length to distance charger from the battery.

a. why is this required? can you use just a jumper cable to distance it out a bit;

b. why cant you just put the neg gator clip on negative, and pos gator clip on positive? i've been in shops where when the battery needing jumping, they take those portable chargers, hook them up _+ to +_, neg to neg, and off it goes. a hauler or two when cars came off the truck did the same.

3. proper way they say is, neg to neg, and then pos on good battery to grounded metal. do i have that right or is it backward.? cant remember. whether its the neg or pos that you connect to metal (if i'm wrong above), then what do you clip it to?

now, with that out of the way....here is what i'd like to do. tell me if you like, or dislike this strategy.

ok, the battery is out of the car. i was thinking about using the o-ring connector and fixing that to the battery cables to the car. this would give me the ability to, when the battery is in the actual car, to just connect the tender to this 2cable connector and the tneder can do its thing. this would ave the cigarette lighter which is always flakey anyway. so , the during season, cables are fixed to battery, adn the orings (2 of them) are connected to the cables which are fixed to the battery. i could run those up into the bonnet area. then just connect to that when it needs charging.

is this permissible? for example, fi you have to connect the POS to a metal ground, then why would it be permissible to have both cables connected to the battery fixing bolts?

i'm gonna assume the use of the grounding metal is to minimize sparks or a lose gator clip slipping and hitting something...maybe not. fill me in,
but assuming that it would fly, then this would also give me another great advantage.

when the battery is out of the car, the oring connectors would still be connected....every 2 weeks or so, i plan on turning on car, letting it run for 20, 30 minutes.running a/c...this is of course when i ant take it for 20, 30 minute drive.....so the pain would be that the battery is out of the car. noone wants to go through 25 minutes of reconnecting battery properly in total, for a 20 minute let the car run deal. so i could put the batter in the bonnet area, not have to mess wth spare tire or secureing properly, and then take the aligator clips with teh 2wire connector, and connect to the 2wire oring.
so its battery connected by aligator red/black clips, 2wire connecting to the 2wire oring which is connected to the cars' battery cables.

granted, u dont want to do any driving like this, but you could start it up, let it run the 20 minutes, shut off and it would take 20 seconds to put in battery/clip/ and 20 seconds to take out.

both the aligator clips, oring clips, and cigarette lighter clips come in the car.

so thats what i'm thinking. will it fly?

idea is to find a way to get car started, let it run without driving it, for 20, 30 minutes wtih as little extra wasted effort as possible.

feedback would be great.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:00 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Default negative ground system

the porsche is a negative grounded system, correct?
i just read the tender pdf instructions located at :
http://batterytender.com/includes/la...ns_BT_Plus.pdf

says you go RED/pos good battery to POsitive Post on charging battery, negative on good/black clip to GROUNDED METAL

they even talk about the ring connectors they call a ring terminal.
same thing "connect Red/Pos ring connector to pos on battery, and then black/negative ring connector to grounded metal on car"

is this how you guys are doing it?
Old 11-11-2006, 10:03 PM
togueep3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read all the posts and maybe this is just something that wasn't brought up case it's common sense. Anyway while your driving make sure to run the A/C for at least 10 mins(I've heard to run the A/C monthly). That will give the oil time to circulate through the system and lubricate seals, the pump, etc.. Sorry if this was useless...
Old 11-11-2006, 10:05 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

never useless...lots of thoughts, lots of ideas...reminders are great. definately running ac when running cars.
Originally Posted by togueep3
I read all the posts and maybe this is just something that wasn't brought up case it's common sense. Anyway while your driving make sure to run the A/C for at least 10 mins(I've heard to run the A/C monthly). That will give the oil time to circulate through the system and lubricate seals, the pump, etc.. Sorry if this was useless...
Old 11-11-2006, 10:15 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you thought about keeping a trickle running to the car itself to keep the ECU from having all the readiness codes reset, which will make passing smog very difficult? I'm not sure that is an issue for you, but something I'd be concerned about when I swap batteries.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:43 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by togueep3
...Anyway while your driving make sure to run the A/C for at least 10 mins(I've heard to run the A/C monthly). That will give the oil time to circulate through the system and lubricate seals, the pump, etc...
I know this is the case when you have a freon based A/C system, because the freon contains lubricate for the seals etc. But is it still the case when you have a R34 (? I think) system? Does R34 contain lubricate as well?
Old 11-14-2006, 12:55 AM
STAR57
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Drive like you stole it

IMHO I dont think that long term its very good for the car, if it was mine I would take it to Church on Sundays or go for a beer on aturdays, you missing the opportunity of making a lot of people envious...Shame on you!!

If you feel guilty, I will personnally fly to your place and take it out for a good warm up.

If I can make a comparsion, its like marrying Uma Thurman and sleeping in a separate bed and making love to her twice a year

The truth is taht I'm jealous! Enjoy it .....
Old 11-15-2006, 10:34 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Default wheel round mats

Anyone have any experience with those mats that go under the wheel and protect them from getting flat spots, or so they claim to do so....?
Old 11-15-2006, 11:15 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Take a look at the PCA website for some insight into kinda-sorta winter storage for your cars. This is sort of what you're facing with multiple cars. It will go over issues about electrical, lubricants, and other things that don't like it sit around without being exercised.

It's a lot like sophisticated aircraft,--the more you fly them, the better they perform. The more they become 'hanger queens' the more they perform like them.

If you need a link to PCA's specific guidance let me know.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:21 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,147 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Anyone have any experience with those mats that go under the wheel and protect them from getting flat spots, or so they claim to do so....?
There is a new product out that is designed for flat spots they also make ramps that allow you to lift the car off the ground made of the same stuff. They work well. I do not have the info but if you call my friend Nelson at 973-207-7000 he sells them. Tell him Anthony sent you. He also does the finest clear bra installation in these parts.

I guess it is too late to come and take a look at your beautiful collection if they are in plastic bubbles. Maybe next year.

PS: I will be donating a few sets to this years NNJR-PCA's Chinese auction. Should be a good year and worth attending.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:24 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

bubbles take 90 seconds to unzip, so definately email me after the holidays and we can get something to nibble and oogle the cars....i'm always game for oogling. weather nice, we drive.
Originally Posted by cobalt
There is a new product out that is designed for flat spots they also make ramps that allow you to lift the car off the ground made of the same stuff. They work well. I do not have the info but if you call my friend Nelson at 973-207-7000 he sells them. Tell him Anthony sent you. He also does the finest clear bra installation in these parts.

I guess it is too late to come and take a look at your beautiful collection if they are in plastic bubbles. Maybe next year.

PS: I will be donating a few sets to this years NNJR-PCA's Chinese auction. Should be a good year and worth attending.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:55 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,147 Likes on 1,288 Posts

bubbles take 90 seconds to unzip, so definately email me after the holidays and we can get something to nibble and oogle the cars....i'm always game for oogling. weather nice, we drive.

Sounds good PM sent about white turbo S.

Quick Reply: maintaining super lower miles