993 Forum 1995-1998

Question for RHD 993 owners...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 04:26 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Question for RHD 993 owners...

Question to RHD 993 owners... does the offset pedal position cause you back-pain? I thought this might be the real cause of my pain around my lower-back (see past "Lumbar Issues" threads for background), as when I rolled up a thick jumper to wedge in the seat, it moved to one side after a 'spirited drive'.

Anyone else realise this pain? Could it be from the offset?

Thanks...
Old 10-20-2006, 04:38 PM
Chrisw_05
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see were you are coming from but I've never really thought about the offset. I'm naturally left footed so the clutch does not seem that off putting. I do have lower back issues but that is down to golf over many years. When I’m in the 993 and pushed back into the seat fully i don't notice anything apart from when i ride the clutch a little too long.

Do you drive with your head and shoulders touching the head rest? I noticed the wife driving the other day slightly bent forward with just the base of the back touching the seat....this must hurt the lower back given enough time driving in this position.

Nothing a good chiropractor can't sort.....your in London....I know a few dodgey massage parlours in the Soho area that will make you forget you have a back back

Chris W.
---------------------------
1996 993 C4 CAB Iris Blue
1991 964 C2 CAB GP White - Stolen
Old 10-20-2006, 06:48 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

"I know a few dodgey massage parlours in the Soho area that will make you forget you have a back back"

Nice one!
I am alsp left footed and think nothing of it now. It was weird at first but you get used to it. No back problems at all, and my backs not the best.
I reckon you should take up Chris's offer. Tell the wife it's purley medicinal.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:50 PM
Pickled Piper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I've not had any serious issues with my RHD. certainly nothing that could be attributed to the pedal position.

I did find the seat back provided very poor lumbar support. I believe that this was caused by the springs and the foam in the seat having softened over time. I remedied this by swapping the seat backs left to right.

My opinion is that they are just not very good seats.

pp
Old 10-20-2006, 07:14 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Originally Posted by Chrisw_05
Nothing a good chiropractor can't sort.....your in London....I know a few dodgey massage parlours in the Soho area that will make you forget you have a back back
Any recommendations appreciated
Old 10-20-2006, 08:00 PM
mborkow
Drifting

how bad is the off set of the pedals...can someone post a pic (i'm just sorta curious)?
Old 10-20-2006, 08:02 PM
mborkow
Drifting

I know a few dodgey massage parlours in the Soho area that will make you forget you have a back back
i predict a happy ending to your story
Old 10-20-2006, 08:35 PM
Marquis Rex
AutoX

I never found a problem UNTIL I drove big distances for a few hours at a time. It doesn't hurt my back so much as my legs.
I really wish I bought LHD now I live in Germany, only with the pound to Euro and current prices there's little point...
Old 10-20-2006, 11:06 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Originally Posted by Marquis Rex
I really wish I bought LHD now I live in Germany, only with the pound to Euro and current prices there's little point...
i would think someone in england with a LHD would be interested in a trade with your for RHD.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:15 AM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Originally Posted by mborkow
how bad is the off set of the pedals...can someone post a pic (i'm just sorta curious)?
I'll take a pic later (may have to be camera-phone)... and yes... its pretty bad...
Old 10-21-2006, 05:00 AM
Tania W
Racer

Yeah, the offset is bad enough for my partner to call it the worst feature of the car....he won't drive it because of it. Of course that doesn't worry me in the least!!!
Back to the lower back probs.....hasn't caused me any worries with drives of up to 6 hours.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:35 AM
Red9
Racer

I think pedal position offset is mirror image wether RHD or LHD. I have both in 993 and without measuring I think that is correct. I also have had a long term back injury that can be aggrevated in any Porsche including 996. Something Recaro actually have made(not sure if they still do) is a pad for the small of your back. If not available I use any material or clothing to make a roll to tailor the space.My theory is that the pelvis left unsupported at the wrong angle(that will be a personal issue) will create discomfort or pain -- from all that you will see I am not qualified to offer medical advice but I have offered this solution to a few others who have successfully tried.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:26 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with the front wheel being where the accelerator would be, I find the side of my right foot/ancle aches quite a bit when I spend a long time in traffic. I nearly managed to drive my car into a wall when i first picked it up, not being used to an offset, I hit the accelerator instead of the brake! whoops!
Old 10-21-2006, 10:06 AM
asimler
Racer

Originally Posted by urban_alchemist
Question to RHD 993 owners... does the offset pedal position cause you back-pain? I thought this might be the real cause of my pain around my lower-back (see past "Lumbar Issues" threads for background), as when I rolled up a thick jumper to wedge in the seat, it moved to one side after a 'spirited drive'.

Anyone else realise this pain? Could it be from the offset?

Thanks...

I have a RHD and at 6'4" find the seating position pretty bad. I have in the past had chronic back issues which still semi-occur now especially after long drives I found the best thing to ease it, is to lower the front of the seat so instead of the seat cushion being tilted back (ie. max down at the back and max up at the front), make the cushion much flatter - I know for a fact this reduces the pressure between the lower verterbra and the pelvis - a big cause of back ache.

You may have tried this already but if not it works very well for me, feels a bit odd at first though
Old 10-21-2006, 04:11 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

One of the reasons I bought a LHD 993 was to avoid the offset pedals of the RHD 993. On a short test drive I found it awkward and uncomfortable. Having UK size 10 feet just compounds the issue.

Quick Reply: Question for RHD 993 owners...