993 Forum 1995-1998

G64 mini rebuild ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 10:54 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default G64 mini rebuild ...

The G64 trans from my spares car suffered the fate of most crashes ... the impact damaged the intermediate case: that is the suspension mount site for the trans, and two of three mount studs pulled away with a good chunk of aluminium case attached.
With many thanks to Geoffrey ( you must visit his postings on the 964 board to witness the development of his race car!!!), I have installed the intermediate case removed in his conversion of a G64 to a G50 for a 2WD race application ..... a DNA transfer if you will, so another trans will live!
Pulling the two forward cases off is quite straight forward - recovery of the bearings and shells from the damaged case was a bit of a test, but all worked out well.
In case ( no intended pun) anyone is interested in a peek at the beginnings of the internals, I've attached a few pics, which are hopefully self explanatory. I must comment that successful removal of the circlip retaining the viscous coupler ( the black, drum shaped lump on the floor) is worth a drink by anyones standards. On a 'need to know' basis, I will reveal the technique used to recover the reverse idler roller bearing from the damaged case .... for it is not for the faint of heart ).

edit: added a pic of the broken case .... made the reductions too small to show the damage .. still learning ...

I would appreciate advice on the correct technique to adjust the eccentric on the left side of the case ( pic with the 13mm wrench). The WSM is its usual cryptic self ...." adjust to remove notching " ... on gear selection: I set up the gearshift/drive shaft and did my best - but really am not sure if I did it correctly. I suspect that the syncros must be at operating speed to fine tune the positioning of the selector rod - and my static set up is only a guess .

I currently have a gear oil leak from the front case of my trans - so this trans will be mated to its 26K engine after some minor refreshing, and the pair will be swapped into the 66K car ..... at least, that is the current plan
Attached Images       
Old 10-19-2006, 11:12 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Garth, great work tackling this yourself! And yes, the circlip for the VC is fun! I made a tool to help r and r that little bugger. Best not to reuse that particular circlip as they 'spring' easily.

Adjusting the selector shaft detent isnt as critical as one would expect. The manual isnt too complete on explaining its adjustment. What I do is measure the height of the gearshift selector shaft in efforts to be able to position it where it would be located with the front cover installed. With a flashlight, or bend-a-light, you can peek down inside the mid case and watch this detent adjustment, chosing a position where it seems to 'fit' best.

Not sure if this helps, its difficult to explain..
Old 10-19-2006, 11:14 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad those parts could help you.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:16 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Garth, can I ask a favor? Can you photograph the VC up close--side and both ends showing the splines--and also measure diameter and length overall?

I've been wondering just how close the VC is to the various Subaru units from the same era since there was supposedly technology sharing between them. My mechanic has plenty of those, and I'd like to compare.

The end result being of course that Subaru VCs are available in different "stiffness"es and even dial controlled variable versions (can you say 959?)

TIA, -Jon
Old 10-19-2006, 11:43 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyJon
Garth, can I ask a favor? Can you photograph the VC up close--side and both ends showing the splines--and also measure diameter and length overall?

I've been wondering just how close the VC is to the various Subaru units from the same era since there was supposedly technology sharing between them. My mechanic has plenty of those, and I'd like to compare.

The end result being of course that Subaru VCs are available in different "stiffness"es and even dial controlled variable versions (can you say 959?)

TIA, -Jon

A bit too late for measurements, as it it tightly sealed w. Loctite 515 - but I can send on a detailed pic of the coupler beside the front case: I have a second such case that will give the precise forward spline size, and the measure on the wood block under the coupler can help scale its size - if I didn't toss te piece out .PM me an email addy if you wish the pic ..

Quick Reply: G64 mini rebuild ...