Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger & 993

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 06:29 AM
'95 993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Richard lw, I actually went so far as buying a s/c kit (from ebay) but he more I looked into it for me (with a lot of track day use) the bilet heads were the best bet.

I have 425nm of torque from the heads, this is the best bit, so don't discount the heads on the basis of torque

cheers

John
Old 10-17-2006, 08:00 AM
Circo
7th Gear

I've had some major problems with TPC's 993 supercharger and I'm getting no joy from anyone either in the UK or from TPC (that's according to my supplier in the UK). So here's my story.

Got feed up looking at rough 993 turbos so I've bought a 993 S. 9m in the UK have put a TPC supercharger on it. I'm gettin 360bhp, which is great on the face of it, but a big flat spot in torque between 3000 and 4500 rpm is really pissing me off. 9M where originally getting detonation in the the 3-4500 rpm range and have had to wind the boost down to about 4psi from 6psi. The problem, which took over a month to figure out I'm told, is that the kit from TPC was designed for the US market and you guys didnt get a 55 pin ecu 97 varioram. So the TPC software maybe needs remapping? £600 minimum! TPC I've been told dont want to know or cant send the software to do this and 9m in the UK are coming up a blank. So I'm stuck with a car I cant sell and a supercharger that is useless if I take it off and about $14,000 (£8000)lighter. and this has been going on for 4 months ! So I would say be very carful and get some guarentees as to who will own any subsequent problem. Having said all that I'd would n't be without it. even with the flatspot it's a big rush to drive, indead when it comes out of the flatspot at 4500rpm it flys like a turbo and oh the noise!! people stop and look at the sky! But I cant help being frustrated when I know how good it could be.
If you want to stay with the bolt on bolt off idea and dont want to modify original parts. It's got to be Supercharging.
Sorry to hijack your thread just now but any suggestions or any ideas or who might be able to help me with my problems would be appreciated ? Any response or maybe a
solution(!!?) from TPC would also be appreciated.

Cheers and good luck
Bill
Old 10-17-2006, 10:54 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow--it certainly is educational reading the spec pages from the companies that make aftermarket forced induction kits for 993s. I guess you have to filter everything through the "it's a Porsche, so it's limited production and everything has a Porsche tax" filter to not be apalled. Seriously, check out forced induction options for just about any other performance car out there and lament how primitive the options are for our cars.

Look here: http://www.geocities.com/protomotive/obd993.html It actually looks like the turbos are positioned AFTER the cat/muffler! Are you kidding me?
Old 10-17-2006, 12:45 PM
901aero
Burning Brakes

Why is there not a good option for Supercharging our cars? Well to be honest I believe it's a bottom dollar thing. Most guys don't want to modify there cars in any way. The ones that do are probably not enough in numbers to justify the full on cost involved in the development of a superior kit befitting a P-car.

And IMHO I still believe you cannot complete the equation correctly without opening up the motor and dealing with the high C/R of the 993. That really adds to cost.

How many guys are willing to pay $18k maybe $23k to achieve the results.

Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the ones that would. But I think Superchargers of Knoxville found out that it simply didn't pay. Even with an incredible (if my memory serves me correctly) around 450hp and well over 400 ft lbs of torque kit that was top shelf all the way. I'd take that kit on my 993 over a TT any day.
But, alas, I don't think we'll ever see it.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:35 PM
Steve Nagata
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Circo
I've had some major problems with TPC's 993 supercharger and I'm getting no joy from anyone either in the UK or from TPC (that's according to my supplier in the UK). So here's my story.

Got feed up looking at rough 993 turbos so I've bought a 993 S. 9m in the UK have put a TPC supercharger on it. I'm gettin 360bhp, which is great on the face of it, but a big flat spot in torque between 3000 and 4500 rpm is really pissing me off. 9M where originally getting detonation in the the 3-4500 rpm range and have had to wind the boost down to about 4psi from 6psi. The problem, which took over a month to figure out I'm told, is that the kit from TPC was designed for the US market and you guys didnt get a 55 pin ecu 97 varioram. So the TPC software maybe needs remapping? £600 minimum! TPC I've been told dont want to know or cant send the software to do this and 9m in the UK are coming up a blank. So I'm stuck with a car I cant sell and a supercharger that is useless if I take it off and about $14,000 (£8000)lighter. and this has been going on for 4 months ! So I would say be very carful and get some guarentees as to who will own any subsequent problem. Having said all that I'd would n't be without it. even with the flatspot it's a big rush to drive, indead when it comes out of the flatspot at 4500rpm it flys like a turbo and oh the noise!! people stop and look at the sky! But I cant help being frustrated when I know how good it could be.
If you want to stay with the bolt on bolt off idea and dont want to modify original parts. It's got to be Supercharging.
Sorry to hijack your thread just now but any suggestions or any ideas or who might be able to help me with my problems would be appreciated ? Any response or maybe a
solution(!!?) from TPC would also be appreciated.

Cheers and good luck
Bill

Bill,

Had the same problem with mine. First check if your FTC1 box is working/wired correctly, second make sure all your Vac hoses are properly connected. TPC has updated their Vac diagram and it's best to follow that.

A friend of mine and myself had the same flat spot from 3000-4200rpm it was actaully leanign the car out at about 14:1- 15:1AFR AFR which is bad! I couldn't stand to drive the car like that... waiting till 4000rpm before I could mash the pedal.

In short the hoses and a remap of the FTC1 on my car solved my problem... My friends problem was the FTC1... So what he did was upgrade all the injectors got rid of the 7th and remapped everything with the Unichip piggy back system (which is the new control unit TPC uses on their kits now)

Now we're happy as can be

hope that helps
Old 10-17-2006, 01:52 PM
993_SC
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill,
This will probably be of minimal help with respect to your problem, but I have recently acquired a 96 C4S with the TPC supercharger. I understand from the mechanic that installed the SC, that it took some effort to sort it out, but the end result is great torque throught the rev band.

FYI, I have the older kit with the 7th injector, piggy controller and no intercooler (for now...)

Cheers
Old 10-17-2006, 07:08 PM
Circo
7th Gear

Steve Nagata, thanks, some good info I'll check those points and let you know. 993 Sc my kit also has the 7th injector. But I made the mistake of taking the new modle SC. Apparently the older ones had their problems sorted. Who fitted yours?
Old 10-17-2006, 08:30 PM
993_SC
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill,

If my information is correct, my kit was installed 2 owners ago at Campbell Garage, an independant Porsche shop in Montreal, Canada.

Regards,
Spyro
Old 10-17-2006, 08:35 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 97 Posts

Please refer to my reply in the Supercharger Flatspot thread......

Quick Reply: Supercharger & 993